Team SALVAGED Q&A - Always open

Hey guys, so regarding Team SALVAGED, I understand that a lot of people are kinda in the dark as to what we’re doing, or are just confused as to who’s in the project, or what is the project.

While we’re going to address what we’re currently working on in our FEE3 video I thought it would be a good chance have a Q&A to get some feedback or just answer anything who guys were wondering.

So post your questions here, and we’ll answer them in our FEE3 video, or if I can’t make a video in time for FEE3, in another video after that. The deadline questions is Septembre 30th.

Ask away!

9 Likes

So far, all the (incredibly good!) animations I’ve seen from you guys were upgraded versions of vanilla animations. Do you have any plans to create animations that aren’t based on vanilla classes, or will that remain your focus for now?

7 Likes

As a relative newcomer to the community, how did the team come to be, and why was it originally started? I think most here are familiar with your end products, but not with how the ideas for them started

8 Likes

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

3 Likes

Depends, is it an African or a European swallow?

6 Likes

What are your long-term plans, beyond just making more improved vanilla animations? Do you have any large projects in mind for the future? A large hack featuring all your custom animations? Something like FEXNA that will change the entire hacking scene? Or just more cool animations like the ones you’ve already released?

4 Likes

Which of you is the most active and who is the least active?

1 Like

Which animation are you most proud of?

1 Like

Why have you raided the FEU Discord voice call?

3 Likes

Nils bard animation doing a kamehameha when?

I need it for a friend.

2 Likes

personally, I’m curious if you have plans to make the myrmidon edgier. If not… well, it’s not like I care all that much, anyway.

SALVAGED FE1 anims when

2 Likes

gotta plug this Q&A somehow

Can you guys make something like guns animations? Asked for a friend.

2 Likes

Who are the members of team SALVAGED?

How does one get started with doing animations?

How long does it usually take to make an animation?

1 Like

What’s next?

You’ll see in the video.

1 Like

So far, all the (incredibly good!) animations I’ve seen from you guys were upgraded versions of vanilla animations. Do you have any plans to create animations that aren’t based on vanilla classes, or will that remain your focus for now?

It’s been discussed before – @ErrantDShepherd in particular has long advocated (quite literally, years) for creating full class diversities for each weapon type – A light, medium, and heavy.

But we also don’t really agree on anything in this regard. I for one wanted us to get into magic classes!

As a relative newcomer to the community, how did the team come to be, and why was it originally started? I think most here are familiar with your end products, but not with how the ideas for them started

As someone who doesn’t know this too well; the team came to be because there were a bunch of people who were interested in fixing up some animations that they felt needed to be updated some. Specifically,

Project Founders:
Smirks
Agro
LordofGabrielKnight
Vilkalizer
Alusq
Ghast
ErrantShepherd
Deranger

Though it should be also noted that

Although, technically original three founders would be Ghast, Agro and [ErrantShepherd].

As far as the ideas, though, usually someone brings up that they don’t like something and then we talk about it a while and approach a decision slowly.

Or, in the case of Blaze, just deciding to do something because they’re fed up with waiting and general slowness. (This was how the Paladin happened.)

What are your long-term plans, beyond just making more improved vanilla animations?

Plans? Plans besides animating at that?

Surely you jest. You think we even manage to have plans?

Which of you is the most active and who is the least active?

Blaze and… Uh, probably me or Tsushi! I don’t think Tsu’s even been formally in a credits list yet.

Which animation are you most proud of?

The one I haven’t finished.
I think the best team animation is the Cavalier.
In no small part because it’s the only one – Blaze did the Paladin alone, and Nuramon did the Knight alone.
Jokes aside, I’m unable to decide between the Knight and Cavalier. They’re both really good and don’t have things … wrong or off with them.

Nils bard animation doing a kamehameha when?

No.

personally, I’m curious if you have plans to make the myrmidon edgier. If not… well, it’s not like I care all that much, anyway.

Nope. See previous comment about us having plans in the first place being laughable.

SALVAGED FE1 anims when

Give us an FE1 FEditor_Adv / FEBuilder / AnimationAssembler.

Can you guys make something like guns animations? Asked for a friend.

Can: Yes. Will: No.

Who are the members of team SALVAGED?

Presently, I believe it is @blaze, @Nuramon, @BlueDruid, @ErrantDShepherd, @2WB, @Teraspark, @yoshthethird, and @Tsushi.

How does one get started with doing animations?

For me, I started by fiddling with little pieces of other animations and stitching them together – and goodness, they were just awful! But I kept doing it and the things steadily became less awful.

And from there, it’s just about animation principles, staring at vanilla animations and seeing what works and what doesn’t, looking at other animations for inspiration and stylistic ideas, and generally trying and failing until you don’t fail too much.

How long does it usually take to make an animation?

For us, months!
In terms of actual “sit down and animate” time, I’d approximate 12 to 20 hours per full animation (Attack, critical, dodge, throw animations) sort of at best. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was higher than that, either, especially considering how iterative the process can get.

What’s next?

I don’t think I have the right to field this one.
Not helping in the least is the fact that I actually don’t know which thing we’re actually doing next because I haven’t been keeping myself up to date!

3 Likes