Tactile - SRPG Game Engine (and FEXNA)

Quick and maybe obvious question, I just want to be sure: Do Tactile accept more than 16 colors in it’s sprites? Do a color limit exist? and if does, what is the limit?

Yes

Technically?

If I had to guess, 255

2 Likes

I get this error when trying to load in some animation using import FEditor package. I’ve tried changing the txt file to match other ones that were accepted but this error keeps popping up. Any idea what would fix this?

depends
typically i’ve noticed this happening with non-vanilla sprites, and I’m not sure what causes it. my guess is some discrepancies in the scripts.
what animation caused it?

I was using the tactician lord from dark lord and the maiden of light. Thought it looked like a cool trainee class for magic

Regarding Monogame, I’m currently working on “porting” (probably too strong a word) Tactile to Monogame myself. I have a lot of experience with Monogame and think that the potential for a greatly simplified build / install process is well worth the effort for both creators and players. The biggest hindrance I’m facing is the code-base itself, more than anything. I don’t mean that as any disrespect or as a slight to BwdYeti, it’s just apparent that the code base evolved over the last 10+ years from FEXP to FEXNA and switched languages and platforms.

Given that the source code for Tactile’s UI is not available though (someone please correct me if I’m wrong), the functionality of my Monogame port will be greatly lacking and probably not valuable to anyone besides myself without UI integration, at least initially. Thankfully though, in the event that this project comes to fruition and the UI is compatible, anyone currently working on a project in Tactile could use this Monogame version with little to no trouble.

Ultimately though, this project is the foundation for an integration with FEBuilder that I’m working on which should allow Tactile to function as a “compatibility layer” for GBA FE roms, meaning three things in theory:

1. If you’re currently working on a hack, you could move it to Tactile / FEXNA
  2. You could run vanilla Fire Emblem games with Tactile / FEXNA.
  3. If you really wanted to, you could make your game with FEBuilder and run it with Tactile. Not sure why you would, but you could.

I imagine I’ll have Tactile running in Monogame within the next couple of weeks, but the FEBuilder integration project, which I’m calling “Monocle” ('Monogame Compatibility Layer -> Mono CL -> Monocle) will likely take a much longer time to get up and running. That code base is frankly kind of a nightmare to work with and is absolutely not built for external integration, but I’ve proofed some concepts as far as converting the data from an FE rom in FEBuilder to something consumable by Tactile, and I’m pretty excited about it.

Anyone else familiar with C#, Monogame, FEBuilder, etc. who would like to contribute to any of this, please reach out. Tactile is a magnificent achievement and I want to maximize it’s capabilities.

6 Likes

I’m currently swamped with my own project atm, but there will definitely come a time when I’m focused on mods and will be taking a deep dive on Tactile/FEBuilder.

Ideally, if I can somehow repurpose the UI as external tools for modding my game in Unity.

I’ll make time this weekend to get Tactile setup and see what’s up.

I’ve done builds of FE7x using MonoGame instead of XNA that seemed to run fine, but never fully switched over because I didn’t have time to fully test for any issues.
Switching Tactile to MonoGame is one of the short term goals, especially to simplify the install process, but I’ve been busy with other things recently.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind, I may reach to you directly at some point Yeti with a few questions but the primary issue I’m having is with the Monogame content pipeline.

Some of the readers / writers for the xml data are not working right. There seems to be some miniscule difference in the way that Monogame is serializing / deserializing the data that’s breaking some of the encryption and some of the binary readers.

It sounds like you haven’t had that experience though so I wonder what difference there be. I am working with Monogame 3.8 and have not tested with 3.7 yet.

1 Like

Nice tiny update

v0.7.0.3 - Mar 24, 2021
-Report any crashes encountered by the unit placer from the main Tactile Editor, for easier debugging
-Refresh move ranges whenever status effects wear off, which fixes a crash involving El’s Passage
-Fixed centering of “Last Turn” in the objective window
-Bugfix for inventory size config edits for generics from the last release

Several issues were reported with the unit editor not working, so this will make it easier to figure out what’s gone wrong for newer users.

If you have an existing project and are having trouble use Git to update your game with this release, or even if you managed to update with no problem and want to let me know things are working, make sure to mention it here

Also reminder that there is a Tactile help channel on the FEU Discord server, for more direct support

6 Likes

For any who do not know, FEGBA makes physical projectiles spell animations. This is not the case for Tactile. Instead, the sprites are on the sheet itself. This means that any hand axe/javelin/arrow/knife animations from the Graphics Repo will not have projectiles when inserted into Tactile.

Fortunately, it’s easy to add them to existing animations.

handaxe

I’ve made this hand axe animation for easy inserting. Just download it, save it as HandAxe.png or whatever, then open Tactile.

In the Battler Formatting Tab, click Import Animation Images at the bottom of the editor.

Input the file name as ClassNameGenderNumber-ThrowAxe. For example, a female fighter would be Fighter1-ThrowAxe. The “-ThrowAxe” part of the file name must stay the same.

Make sure Facing Left is unchecked, and Append to Existing Sheet is checked. If your projectile gif is facing left, of course, leave Facing Left checked.

If you do not check Append to Existing Sheet, you will completely erase your animation and replace it with only the flying handaxe.

Once you have saved your animation, process the outdated sheets as normal. Then you can recolor and create frames for your projectile as you please. This will work for any class that has a physical projectile!

7 Likes

Hello, All.

Have there been any recent updates to this at all? I was just cruising thru the topics after being away for a bit and I wanted to check before downloading everything again

Have you scrolled up by chance

I did get that one from March (I was still a bit active then) meant after that. Its been quite on here so I was checking what may have popped up since then. Sorry for the confusion.

then nope; yeti is diligent about his update notifications

Cool!

Hi, a im a question.
I am using Tactile 0.7.0.3, I need to create a magic weapon, my question is.
As where is the magic animation selected for the weapon?

it’s hardcoded; all the spell anims are set to the weapon in the .cs files
I should probably make another video but I have like no time these days

Thanks for answering, if you know in which .cs file you are assigned the animations to the weapons, I will investigate on my own.
I was looking for the file yesterday and didn’t find it.

I’m not sure how it’s connected or how it works but it’s in “TactileBattlerImage.cs” and it starts at line 381. Good luck!

Edit: It’s actually really easy to assign weapons to have animations but I still have not tested adding in new spells.

Edit 2: On_Hit.cs is where you assign the Spell hit sounds, so I recommend changing stuff here too.