Hey everyone! I’m excited to announce that the SRPG Studio game Broken Legacy is now complete and fully playable!
Download can be found here (v1.02, Sep 1 2020)
Link to SF thread is here
Discord link is here
Rodrun was once a unified nation, but a great conflict saw it divided into four near-autonomous states: Ormur, Anarcia, Remdare and Silveria. For decades now, there has been hostility between the states, with tensions about to boil over the entire country…
The story begins when Ormur’s King Delron calls for the unification of the nation. Confusion ensues when Anarcia’s Duke Calum sends his daughter, Kara, to seek refuge in Remdare – despite planning to surrender peacefully.
During her escape, Kara becomes separated from her knights. Now alone, she must now gain reliable allies - first to reach Remdare, but more ultimately to reclaim her homeland of Anarcia. Kara’s journey will see her joining a mercenary group, engaging in complex political situations, and finding out if she’s truly worthy of inheriting the throne…
- 21 chapters with a variety of map objectives including escape, rout, defeat boss, defend and seize
- A small cast of 25 playable characters, with full deployment for much of the game
- Three difficulties, Classic/Casual modes, can swap between them freely
- A base system similar to the Tellius games, including base events and Bonus EXP
- Bonus EXP and other rewards for fast play/completing side objectives
- Skills, including a cooldown system where skills are selected via the menu (sort of like combat arts or skills in Berwick Saga)
- 30+ classes with branching promotion paths
- Supports which progress through the story
- Visible growth rates and support bonuses
- Ranking system (see here for details)
- Custom music
- The ability to save every 5 turns
There’s also a few differences from standard FE gameplay:
- Units can only double on their own phase
- ‘Proc’ skills that are activated by menu command
- Level cap is set to 10 higher than the level promoted at
- Crits deal 2x damage
A quick note on difficulty:
This game is designed to be challenging, but not unfair. Normal mode is probably more difficult than most FE games. Hard mode is very tough, even for me as the creator. Don’t be discouraged if you’re having trouble, and make full use of the 5 turn saves! Also remember you can freely change the difficulty in the options menu between battles.
How to play/Config:
Download the zip files and unzip to your wanted location. Then just click on the ‘game’ application to run. Extra options and controls can be found in the config file.
Press F11 to reset and F4 to toggle full screen. If full screen is causing stretching, try the following:
- Change HardwareFullScreen in the config file to 1
- If this doesn’t work, you might need to go to your graphics card settings. Look for something like ‘scaling mode’ and set it to ‘preserve aspect ratio’
To transfer saves between versions, simply copy your Saves folder to the new version. Note that any pre 1.0 saves are likely incompatible with post 1.0 saves due to a large renaming of content files (not sure about this though).
Self-identified flaws, improvements/additions planned:
Just in case you feel like listening to me ramble on.
Click to open
- Let’s start with the elephant in the room: portraits. I’m using GBA portraits which 1) don’t really fit the style of SRPGS and 2) don’t look very good because I am bad at making them. I’m hesitant to commission an artist for multiple reasons. Another option would be to try to make my own from scratch (considering my artistic ability, this is probably a mistake).
- Tilesets: at the moment I’m using a mixture of RTP, my own stuff and some other freely available stuff. I’m thinking of transferring to McMagister’s tileset since they look incredible (who doesn’t like Thracia-style graphics?)
- Animations: most melee classes don’t have critical animations now. Furthermore, most sprites use default colours and are not unique to the character. These are honestly a pain to set up and will take a while, but is something I do plan on finishing some time.
- The world map still doesn’t look great. I might try to keep improving it, or I might scrap it and start from scratch. Don’t know yet.
- There’s a whole bunch of other stuff which could be replaced… stuff like the title screen, UI, backgrounds etc. Changing these could give the game its own little touch.
- Still not too happy with Chapter 1. It’s difficult to make the map engaging with only two player units. I might revamp this chapter entirely by adding a third player unit (e.g. Raymond)
- Chapter 11 can be kind of wonky. I want to keep the principle the same, though there might be more tweaking.
- Veteran seals are kind of useless at the moment since units rarely reach their level cap even when promoted early (particularly in hard mode). I might need to fiddle around with EXP gain etc. to fix this.
- I may add bonus maps in a future release. This could include old versions of chapters, axed chapters, or something completely new. They will probably be non-canon with self-parodied dialogue.
- Worldbuilding still kinda sucks ngl, and is definitely something that could be improved upon. The narration events before chapters are pretty boring with them only recounting stuff which has happened. There’s definitely room to develop the world more in these events.
- The intro still doesn’t feel great. I still like the idea of the Prologue, but having the first thing the player sees be Kara musing about her father’s decision isn’t exactly the most compelling opening.
- Later chapters feel kind of stiff w.r.t dialogue and interactions. Particularly noticeable in Chapters 17 and 18.
- There’s a few scenes I’d like to add. Nothing major, but hopefully it would take away some of the exposition (trying to go by the “show don’t tell” mantra)
- I am planning to add more supports, though there likely won’t be too many. I don’t want to force myself to reach a support quota, hence why I’ve moved away from the C/B/A system. Aiming for quality over quantity.
Please let me know if I’ve missed anyone. Everyone’s contributions have been invaluable and I don’t want to exclude anyone!
- Engine: SapphireSoft
- Scripts: Lady Rena, repeat, Milele, CB, o-to, Goinza, 1-239, Release, Tactician Dream, Ragnarok, Balberith, Cube
- Graphics: pipoya, fluffy, JAPANweb, Ishizaki, 1-28, Sfilna, Senaka, Moon ☆ Wind
- Music: Moon ☆ Wind, H / MIX GALLERY, Wingless Seraph
- Von Ithipathachai for providing Kara’s portrait
- CommonKnowledge for providing a bug list for v1.0
- Staff Mastery skill doesn’t display increased staff range (it still functions correctly, though)
- Assassinate and Barrier do not reflect on the battle forecast display.
- Player characters who use two weapon types may occasionally change hair colour while they are moving on the map.
- Camera can still be a little wonky sometimes, especially in Ch 11.
- The attack penalty for light magic against anima magic doesn’t apply, since light tomes are set to ignore defence (it also ignores defence from supports etc.)
- Rescue and Saviour are incompatible. They still work as intended, except for the fact that you can’t swap rescued units between ‘savioured’ units.
- I’ve had one player have Elric in Chapter 9. He shouldn’t be there. It’s never happened to me, so let me know if this happens for you!
- May 9, 2020: First release, 13 chapters complete
- May 17, 2020: v0.2.0 released (16 chapters complete, bug fixes)
- May 28, 2020: v0.2.1 released (bug fixes, minor gameplay tweaks)
- Jun 9, 2020: v0.3 release, 19 chapters complete
- Jul 4, 2020: v1.0 released
- Jul 10, 2020: v1.01 released
- Sep 1, 2020: v1.02 released