Spawning reinforcements crashes the game (Resolved!)

I’m working on an FE7 hack. In one of my chapters, I try to spawn reinforcements mid-chapter. If the event I call to do so does nothing but spawn the reinforcements, it never gets called. If I add in a conversation before spawning the reinforcements, the game plays the conversation, and then implodes. (If I add it after the spawning, it just crashes immediately.)

There’s two things that make this extra weird.
First of all, I spawn that exact same set of enemies in the Start event with no problems, so it’s not the enemies themselves. Since spawning different units instead causes the same issue, the problem seems to be the events themselves.
Secondly, in a previous build of this hack, this chapter worked fine. I have no idea what I did that could have brought about this change.

Can anyone help me?

EDIT: Resolved! I’d switched the map to a mountain tileset and forgot about it. And unknown to me, the trees on the Mountain tilesets (at least in FE7) are considered Thickets, not Forests. I was trying to tell enemies to spawn and move to tiles they’re physically incapable of occupying. That’s what the problem was.

1 Like

Please send report7z. For details on that, check the febuildergba thread

Could you send a screenshot of the event and the turn the reinforcements spawn at? It might be that inside the event something bugs the event out.

(Ignore the color of the building’s tiles. It’s a customized palette, not a bug.)

try putting the same enemies into a different units group and use that one, I’m no expert but I believe that fixed a similar issue I had a bit back.

1 Like

You mean make a different group of enemies and spawn them in instead? I’m pretty sure I’ve tried that already and it didn’t work, but I’ll try it again.

I took a look and compared it to the regualr reinforcements that FE7 uses and the only thing I can think of, is that it might have to do with Lyn mode? Could it be that somehow events are triggerd that crash the game because the tutorial is still in?

Someone else helped me resolve the problem on Discord.

Not long ago, I switched the map from a Fort tileset to a Mountain tileset and forgot about it. And unknown to me, the trees on the Mountain tilesets (at least in FE7) are considered Thickets, not Forests. I was trying to tell enemies to spawn and move to tiles they’re physically incapable of occupying. Since the program can’t continue until they occupy those impossible tiles, it wouldn’t know what to do and would just crash. That’s what the problem was.

1 Like