ENUN
ENDA

Section2:
LOU1 Guy2 //Marcus
ENUN
ENDA

If Section1 is triggered, then Pent is loaded
If Section2 is triggered, then Marcus is loaded
(Just for a quick clarification, no actual conditions in the tested events)
[10:39:45 PM] Aura: however, you might notice that there is an area of overlapping between the two
[10:40:31 PM | Edited 10:40:53 PM] Aura: so I think most people would assume "oh, both units will be loaded if I go in [7,7], [8,7], or [9,7]
that wasn’t what happened; only Pent was loaded ._.
[10:41:38 PM] Aura: And now I just reversed their order, so it’s like:
AREA 0x0 Section2 [7,7] [9,9]
AREA 0x0 Section1 [7,5] [9,7]

this time, only Marcus loaded

Now from this test, I think I have a solution to what my actual problem is: just have seperate AREA things for the overlapping sections that already includes both events. However, it would be extremely tedious, so I’m asking:
Has anyone tried something like the above in the exact approach (as in, no seperate AREA event for the overlapping section), but had both things trigger?
(I suppose my other question would be “has this been mentioned somewhere already”, but I didn’t see any mention of it in the Chapter Construction guide and I don’t recall anyone asking about anything like this, sooo)

Pretty sure you have to just make a seperate section that loads both units; using ID 0x00 was my only suggestion for getting both to work, but obviously that didn’t work(although we can’t see your Section1 and Section2 code).

I guess post that too?

It’s not even really tedius tbh
you’d just have a third AREA event…

AREA 0x00 Section1 [7,5] [9,6]
AREA 0x00 Section2 [7,8] [9,9]
AREA 0x00 BothSections [7,7] [9,7]

BothSections:
CALL Section1
CALL Section2
ENDA

That’s a pretty serious flaw in the event engine :I

There’s probably some way to manipulate event IDs/fallthrough (ie if you don’t have an ENDA it will just continue on past a label or something) to make it happen idk

Section1:
LOU1 Guy1
ENUN
ENDA

Section2:
LOU1 Guy2
ENUN
ENDA

As simple as it can get, but I’ll add it in the OP

That simple huh
let’s see…
(you’re going to run into a constant loading issue by using 0x00 fyi)

AREA 0x00 Section1 [7,5] [9,7]
AREA 0x00 Section2 [7,7] [9,9]

Section1:
ENUT 0x05 // id of section 1 triggered
LOU1 Guy1
ENUN
IFET 0x01 0x06 //ID of section 2 triggered
LOU1 Guy2
ENUN
ENIF 0x01
ENDA

Section2:
ENUT 0x06 // id of section 2 triggered
LOU1 Guy2
ENUN
IFET 0x01 0x05 //ID of section 1 triggered
LOU1 Guy1
ENUN
ENIF 0x01
ENDA

Try this? I feel like it won’t work but it should in theory.

@CT075
I don’t know if it’s a flaw really, it’s checking the event in the order that it’s listed; so theoretically it is working as it’s supposed to. It just might not have been created properly for this kind of event.

@dancer_A
Nah, the overlap section only loaded Pent again.

And perhaps tedious was a bit of an over-exaggeration, but the actual events that served as a “pre-test”, if you will, have an area event that covers the entire map and also several that are just one tile. So there would be more than one extra AREA event to make up for all the overlapping. However, it wouldn’t be excessively annoying to do.

Welp; nothing I can think to do about it, but hopefully at least you know now for the future in doing something like this?

FYI - I tested this in FE8 and it works fine. This is probably a FE7/FE6 issue. Maybe you could try giving both AREAs their own IDs? If that doesn’t work I think what @dancer_A suggested would be best.

Oh, I forgot to test the one with CALL.
Yeah, that works. Sorry if I confused you on that ._.

In any case, thanks for the help though! I kind of forgot about CALL, so that definitely won’t be as painful

1 Like