Question regarding non-gba FE modding & translating

“Easier” in what way? By writing it as a patch, I don’t have to:

• rewire the engine to respect the quirks and edge cases of the particular game I’m remaking
  • re-insert and re-format all the graphics
  • write my own functionality from scratch to handle any of the above that aren’t available out of the box

By writing it in a new engine, I don’t have to:

• learn how the particular hardware works

Let me rephrase all of this as a challenge: Prove me wrong.

If it’s so much easier, and you think it’s so much of a better way, you should do it! I am doubtful that you will be successful in convincing anyone here that it’s easier to remake the engine in scratch than to make a translation, partially because I’m personally unconvinced that you have a nuanced enough understanding of what ROM hackers actually do and partially because, well, I don’t think it’s easier. Talk is cheap! I am speaking from a position of being a ROM hacker, but also being a professional programmer. The idea of writing my own engine (or even bolting the FE engine onto an existing one) is appealing (and BwdYeti even did), but I have to say that, from experience, it is way more work than you are making it out to be.

2 Likes

No offense but both “solutions” you gave are astoundingly asinine

Good point.

This has nothing to do with javascript or the quality of the code and everything to do with the fact that a ROM is not intended to be modified after the fact.

Maby, but that’s still an advantage in favor of SRPG studios.

you know that supports his point right? someone has to make these tools, they don’t spontaneously generate. the tools were made for GBAFE and not SNESFE because the community there is more active.

I’m not trying to debate people. I’m legitimately trying to learn something.

This is precisely because nobody in the active hacking community has put the time or effort into making such a tool for the SNES. It’s not as if FEBuilder existed in some before-the-void state and popped into existence inherent to the GBA engine.

OK, but that’s still a problem.

if you’re writing code in a hex editor , then you are either an insane wizard or handicapping yourself for no good reason. I do the majority of my hacking in C these days (or a yet-unreleased domain-specific-format i’m developing); I legitimately don’t think I’ve touched a hex editor in like, 6 years

I’m pretty sure that I’m the latter, in addition to being an uneducated fool.

none of this is meant to be discouragement, mind you – if you think that “a remake of FE5 in SRPG studio” is a thing that should exist, by all means, you do you and go do it. all the answers are directed more at the question of “why hasn’t anyone done it yet”

It’s totally fine. My only goal was to educate myself, and I have already learned more than I had hoped for.

Well, the res stat and manaketes are not broken in shadow dragon for one.

I hadn’t heard about the manaketes, but I had heard about the Res stat from Serenes Forest. Also, I’m pretty sure I heard Mangs say something about enemies not having any luck in FE 1?

The scene for SNES modding has always been way more Japanese than English. You could try using some of their tools/documentation found on the uploader . Additionally, Lamia’s FE4 stuff , even though it’s FE4-centric, might have some application in FE5.
I don’t actually know off the top of my head what the Shaya patch used for text editing, but I imagine you could do some research on it to find out. But honestly, if you’re serious about it, I recommend just biting the bullet and learning how to use a debugger. You’ll go through the process of finding out exactly when the game decides to display text, how it displays it, where the text is stored and how it’s compressed, etc. Again, it’s the norm for people to have to tear apart their game of choice and find out how it works on their own. The fact that anything exists for Fire Emblem gives us a head start on this sort of thing.

Thanks for the advice! I tried working with Lamia’s stuff before, but I didn’t give it a good chance after I found out that it was incompatible with project Naga. I’m going to give it a second chance since I think my outlook was too lazy before.

I’ve been looking for help on my own for about a year or two, so I really appreciate your help!

Imagine reading Vice

I learnt how to do FE8 hacking from subscribing to the print edition of FT