Playable Mark in base FE7

Hello! I’ve been using FEU for a while without an account, and I wanted to start off by saying that this is a wonderful community that I’ve loved to lurk in. I have a very simple request that I would absolutely be willing to commission someone for, having a playable Mark in base FE7. A friend of mine really wants to play FE7, and since they’ve heard that there’s a female named Mark, they really wanna get into it with the female version being playable.

Optimally they’d be a new character, specifically we had a chat and decided that they should be a Dark Magic user (alongside more Dark Tomes throughout the game and such as they’re in Lyn Mode). I do have limited knowledge with FE builder so I don’t think this would be too hard to implement, but that might just be my inexperience speaking. Like I said, I would absolutely be willing to pay for this to be made and I can work with the person on growth rates and similar such stuff. If this isn’t a realistic request I understand, but thank you for reading regardless!

3 Likes

I’m not entirely sure how to do it, but it can be done.

In fact, I’ve seen it done before here: Fire Emblem: Dark Lord and The Maiden of Light (really good hack you should play it)

But yeah you would probably have to figure out how to read the avatar character’s gender (the one chosen at the beginning of a playthrough), and then cause a either a male or female avatar unit to join the party based on the gender detected.

2 Likes

This is definitely something I’d like to see more of (That is, playable tacticians in hacks) just to see how people handle it.
I’d love to do so myself as an experiment, and doing so has been on my mind for quite a while (For FE8 in particular, not FE7 but it probably wouldn’t matter much for an experiment)
Maybe I’ll play around with the idea when I have time to get distracted more.

2 Likes

Oh, in this specific scenario I just would be asking for the female version as a character. It would be cool if you could read all the tactician data and put that onto a character in the form of their name, affinity, and gender, but for what I’d be looking for it’s not needed.

I imagine such an implimentation is more complex then it seems on the surface. because along with choosing the gender and name of the tactitian, you ALSO have to somehow impliment the support bonus that changes based on your birth month.

Yeah, if you really go all the way with it I can absolutely see how it might be impossible even with current hacking tools. I should clarify that what I’m looking for is a pre-set character, just one that represents Mark and uses their sprites. It has a chosen affinity, gender, and name regardless of what you choose for your tactician. I know that might seem weird, but it’s specifically what my friend asked for lmao

Oh, that’s pretty easy to do then. You’d need to import map sprites for a female avatar (standing and walking animations), battle animations, and a new portrait (technically optional) into the character editor. You can replace any unit the hack isn’t going to use, so long as their character ID is equal to or less than 32.

You should be able to find all of this in the graphics repository: Klokinator/FE-Repo: A public graphics repository for Fire Emblem portraits, battle animations, map sprites, and other assorted graphics people might like to use. (github.com)

If you use any of this stuff in a published hack, don’t forget to credit!

Ah, thank you very much! I’ll see if I can’t work my way around getting them into the game myself, but it’s still something I might struggle with considering my extremely limited experience.

Think it would be worth coding the Tactician to be a Trainee class that auto-promotes into your choice of class upon reaching level 5, once the player has learned what the various classes do? That might be more interesting than FE Awakening’s “The tactician is good enough at everything and potentially the best at everything” approach.

Bam. Mark should be playable. Apply patch to a vanilla FE7 Rom.
Mark is a Female Shaman with a personal weapon and no supports. (I am but a man lol). They have a dark affinity.

Thank you very much! I’m not sure if it’s an issue on my end somehow, but the game crashes when attempting start Lyn mode, and Mark doesn’t show up when starting Eliwood mode. For whatever reason I’m not allowed to upload images to give an example, but Lyn mode replaces all of the map sprites with a garbled mess of lines and creates a really high pitched noise. Eliwood mode seems to be normal, Mark just doesn’t show up there.

2 Likes

yup, I’m gonna have to fix that lol. I’ll do that in a second.

1 Like

Here we are, properly fixed. As it turns out, I had Mark placed just low enough in the character screen so as to not make them register as playable. As a random thing, Lyn normal mode will likely not function properly due to the addition of a new character, so I’ve included the patch to make all modes/hard mode available by default. Also added class names and such, since that sounded neat.

2 Likes