Patched versions of [FE8] keep crashing

I know this is a noob post, but I’d still greatly appreciate any help.
I’ve tried a bunch of different versions of FE8 and a bunch of different patches (.ups) over the years, but whenever I patch a game and run it it crashes as soon as I press a button on the start menu. For example, I tried to use the FE8 Mad Mode patch with both NUPS and Rom Patcher JS: both versions of the patched game crash. (I’ve tried using two versions of FE8: one labelled US and one labelled USA/ Austrailia.)
Thanks in advance!

that patch is 5 years old so idk if you’ll be able to get in contact with the OP, but that’s your best bet.

Thanks, but this is a problem with every patch I’ve ever tried. Could there be a problem in the gba file itself? Most patches are made for the US versions, right?

Every single game you patch? Uh…

What is your OS? Are you playing on a pc or mobile device?
What hacks have you tried recently, and what roms did you patch them onto? What game versions?
What emulator(s) do you use? Is your emulator way out of date?
Are you making sure not to multiple-patch files onto already patched roms?
Are you patching the actual rom, or a zip file?

FE8 Mad Mode is probably FE8 USA, so that part is probably correct. I’m not sure what you could be doing wrong, but you’re definitely doing something wrong.

What is your OS? Are you playing on a pc or mobile device?

I’ve tried it on both Windows 8 and 10, I’m currently on the latter.

What hacks have you tried recently, and what roms did you patch them onto? What game versions?

Apart from the Mad Mode patch, I’ve tried this Skills patch and this QoL patch. I know sharing ROMs is forbidden, but the two versions I used were labelled (U) and (USA, Austrailia). Both are 16,384 KB.

What emulator(s) do you use? Is your emulator way out of date?

No$GBA 2.6, which was the newest one around when first testing these, but I’ll try to update it. Are there any non-No$GBA emulators I could try?

Are you making sure not to multiple-patch files onto already patched roms?
Are you patching the actual rom, or a zip file?

I’m patching and testing each mod separately, I’m not applying two to the game at once. And I’m patching the .gba file, not any others.

Thanks for the help!

That’s probably the issue right there. Use mGBA (The newest emulator available for GBA) or use Visualboyadvance, which is old but I actually prefer.

no$ is more of a bugtesting emulator for developers, in my experience. It’s fine, but mGBA is generally better.

Worth mentioning: I seriously do prefer Visualboyadvance. I’m using…
VisualBoyAdvance-1.8.0-511
I’d be very surprised if this specific VBA couldn’t run your roms. It’s my favorite version, idc what people say, I’ve had too many issues with MGBa to care about its ‘accuracy,’ and the same goes for No$.

2 Likes

mGBA works! I’ll try VisualBoyAdvance as well, but for now: thank you so much!

While I have you here though, do you happen to know of any good DS emulators? I’ve been trying to play a version of FE10 too, but even without patches it stutters like crazy (with DeSmuME too, I believe). Thanks in advance!

Still. I wonder why No$GBA crashes…

FE10? FE10 isn’t on Nintendo DS, it’s on Wii. If you mean FE11/12, well, idk. However, DeSmuME is a fantastic emulator. You have to fuck around with the settings to get some games working. Look at compatibility settings on the website to make sure you’re using the correct ones. I’ve never had issues with it. Also make sure you’re using the newest DeSmuME version because older versions are significantly worse.