Parallel Emblem ~ Twist and Étoiles Tale - WIP Part 1 completed

Hello

This month was another wild ride let me tell you.
Because of several reasons… Ah you can read it above if you’re interested let’s go straight to the best part:

A NEW DEMO IS OUT. FINALLY. YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT HERE!!!

As announced earlier it will feature several changes to the early game, improved and slightly altered/extended dialouge, polished potraits, new animations (some entirely new made by Retrogamer) as well as a total of 3 new chapters. But I’d like to count the 4 chapters that have been changed heavily as well since those aren’t the same as before. So basically there are 7 new scenarios waiting for you. \o/

With this the game has a total of 13 chapters plus 1 Gaiden. It should take around 10-12 hours to beat depending on your playstyle, choices and if you read the dialouge.

We’re also using this moment to celebrate our first year anniversary. That’s right, today this thread has its birthday. Of course this was totally intended… Cough, cough.

We want to thank both JBR Channel for playing our Hack on the FEE3 as well as everyone who watched it. Almost 1700 views is more than we expected.

For those who missed the presentation you can watch it here.

I’ll admit the original post wasn’t the best start from our end. But we’re moving forward to improve. I wonder how long the entire development will take but I’m even more interested in how the game will look at the very end. Hopefully the days where we have to rebuilt stuff from the ground up are now in the past. There are one or two things I might want to improve in earlier parts of the game. But more than ever I want to build new chapters.

This was a great year and we hope to continue with progress in 2022.

With that being sad - Have fun with the game. And take care of yourself o/

6 Likes

Hello there.

Just a quick update. We finished another chapter to 99%. With that we officially reached midgame - hooray!

But if we’re talking about this year, we’re in endgame. The Christmas Arc was rushed but, compared to my recent years, a lot more relaxing and… welp. It felt a lot more like christmas, haha…

In general this year flew by a lot faster than 2020. I’m still processing a lot of what happened there. And here I am trying to process 2021 as well and even wondering what the future of 2022 will await. One thing is for sure. It’s going forward.

For this project specifically, while being in “Rebuilding-Hell” from January to April, it was big. Awaiting and watching our first time in FEE3 alongside so many other projects was exciting even though I forgot about time differences first, woke up way to early and then sat sick in my bed during the day of the premiere and overall learning more about FE and the design of it as a whole. With the first part being done, I wonder how far we will come in terms of chapternumbers. I wonder how much the project will change from the original script. I wonder which characters we can introduce to you next time. And if and how many new faces will join the cast. Time will tell but one thing is for sure - Parallel Emblem will continue.

We wish you a merry christmas, relaxing days 'til the end of the year and… welp a happy new year!

10 Likes

Hello everyone,

Small update about the development. Due to recent events and a lot less time on my end for the foreseeable future, the progress during the last two months was smaller than usual. Same goes for Retrogamer who was really busy but will continue his work on sprites and animation soon.

We might focus on smaller updates but in general I wanted to announce that we have less time to contribute for the project at the moment and that… actually nothing changes about the update schedule lol.

On the other hand I decided that I would like to polish some parts of the story. The way I phrased some parts and the general length of some dialogue isn’t ideal for me. (Plus I keep making the same grammar mistakes because my brain refuses to learn.) Which isn’t too dramatic if you primarily want to enjoy the gameplay. But I would like to improve this part and fix my mistakes. I won’t do this in a big take (because I know I’d take way too long) but little by little since I also want to work more efficient whenever I have time for the project now. I might not succeed to reach what I would personally call a good story. But I want to learn as much as possible while continuing Parallel Emblem.

I wish you all a good day.

Edit: Isn’t my scanner cool, I no longer have to take photos lol

6 Likes

New Update dropped. This time it’s around two new chapters and a bunch of polishing here and there. Small but with a lot of text.

The other changes involve new fancy spritework and a new Skill for Morten that boosts his movement when he is close to Ètoile.

As usual you can find the new patch on our Discord.

See you there.
We wish you a great time in the future o/

(Due to technical issues I have to use photos again… Karma is a twisted joke.)

5 Likes

Congrats for the update ! :tada:

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

The Schedule for this years FEE3 is out and Parallel Emblem will be showcased during the 5th day. Which should be October 20th around 12PM EST.

Tune in for a spooky presentation featuring old mans, wolf boys and monsters!
Played by the one and only Epholo8 and directed by our two most favorite code-searching-machine-guardian-co-hosts once more.

I also have news about the next update.
Our current goal is to finish Part 1 of the game during this year. That means Parallel Emblem will be divided into different story arcs similar to Radiant Dawn. And in the next update the first of these arcs will be completed, counting 19 chapters. You could count the prolouge itself as Part 0. The full game will be divided into 3 Parts in total.

This process will take ~2 more chapters, one of whichs map is already done. And the second one will have a bigger focus on story rather than gameplay. It is doable and I really want to publish this by the end of the year but I don’t want to settle on an exact date because time always showed how the tables can turn. There are going to be some adjustments in previous chapters of the game as well. But our focus right now is to go forward rather than falling down the spiral of eternal polishing. Expect new animations, classes and travelers and maybe you will be able to find a new alternate ending I’ve hidden in an earlier chapter. :sunglasses:

Anyway I hope you all look forward to the best time of the year for FE Hackers and that your week is going to be awesome. o7

5 Likes

Epholo will be streaming Parallel Emblem tonight around 8pm EST!

Sadly not the best time for us to watch (it will be like 2am around here T-T). So we will prolly not be present in chat. But if you have time and interest into diving in the beginning of Parallel Emblem make sure to tune in and send him some #Baumkuchen from us! :brown_heart: :cake:

Either way I wish everyone reading this a great Weekend. The best time of the year for FE fangame creators will begin tomorrow, don’t forget that. :cup_with_straw:

4 Likes

Will the game have supports?

1 Like

Yes they’re planned. They still work like in GBA atm but I’d like to change them the way FE9 did. Except some special cases if its possible.

Some are already written and implemented. Gears Supports for example are complete for no particular reason. I decided to focus on the Main story first. So most are placeholders atm I don’t know if the cast is fully completed yet and if I might find unexpected chemistry between 2 characters. 75% of the pairs you can see via support option are save though.

1 Like

Just finished the demon, I really loved a lot about the game. I love the full fan fic energy getting characters from tons of games and with some really unique mechanics that are super exciting. I loved being able to do summons, I loved 3 range magic and the merchant class and a lot more.

I think the game could use an easier mode because the like fun fan ficy vibe does get blocked off by some of the harder maps. Like the final map of the demo felt like I was really just playing the RNG game trying my best to not let the boss just utterly wipe the floor with me thanks to his heals.

Character wise for the original characters I think Etoile is a major stand out lord, I think Gear is cute, I like Ferrum, I love Helga and I found the Isaki characters funny. I think there is a lot of good goofs throughout the game which helps even out the harder drama moments.

I was going through the supports that are already written and I am wondering why you decided to make Heather Bisexual when she is a lesbian in the games? It’s like super mega confirmed that she is only into women. This is my biggest problem, I downloaded the game because Heather is one of my favorite characters in the whole series so I Wanted to like max her out as much as possible and come in with an ultimate heather but that was a major disappointment, I’d love to see that changed since that support isn’t even normally accessible right now.

Overall, it was a really good experience that I think could use some tweaks to but that I want to see hit it’s end.

1 Like

Sara thanks for playing Parallel Emblem!
If you have discord feel free to join our server and tell us where exactly you had problems playing. We are balancing the game as good as we can, but so far we still lack a bit feedback in that regard, to get a feel to different playstyles. Of course you can go into detail here if thats easier for you. We plan to add an easy and hard mode tho so everyone on any level can enjoy the game.
Supports are a thing that gets worked on at the side lines. Some were developped pretty early on. Regarding Heather we can talk in dms, id like to hear your thoughts about that in detail and would explain some things even if they are not completly finished or will maybe even get cut.

2 Likes

I would be happy to talk in DMs about Heather stuff.

Right now I am in so many discord servers it’s a little overwhelming but might join just to give feedback in a better space and I can always hop out after a bit.

Ultimately, I was able to beat it, so I think like standard easy mode additions will probably be enough for a more casual playthrough. Slightly smaller numbers, less reinforcements probably cover a lot of it but I do think the games balanced overall, pretty well for the feeling of constantly being on the backfoot.

The only time it felt properly unfair was the very last chapter of the demo’s boss he just did a little too much damage for a self healing enemy especially when Ally units are running to him to feed him HP.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I hope you had an amazing time during FEE3. We sure had! It was heart warming to read these kind words and feedback.

If you missed the presentation, click here to watch it.

A lot of stuff has happened over the last month. Both irl and with Parallel Emblem. Epholo streamed it. I read lots of positive comments about it. And we gained feedback especially for the beginning of the game. That’s one part where I’d like to take a deeper look at but I’m unsure if I want to do that first or continue with future chapters after the next update.

Speaking of it, I have some unfortunate news. Actually, its not that dramatic. But as I mentioned earlier I didn’t want to make promises about the release of that demo. But as sure as I was that it is doable by the end of the year so sure I am that it could get more crunchy as I expected. There is… a lot more stuff coming at me nearing christmas than I expected. While I do want to use that time to continue developing Parallel Emblem I also got to study for upcoming exams. Both before and after 2023 started. It’s kinda sad since we are pretty close to wrap this stuff up but with everything going on I’m not as often in the mood or position to do the writing part that’s going to be important now. I’d also like to take a last look over a new chapter that’s going to be added and that’s already done but I’m unsure if it feels too easy or not. I wanted to send in some of these in the discord to playtest as well but I’m always unsure if there isn’t just a thing that could be adjusted before or if the player is able to fully get in the situation with one chapter alone. And if one thing gets adressed that we did on purpose and I mention that it would look and feel like I shove the time invested to tell me that aside.

In short, its going to take a bit longer before we’ll drop this. But on the other hand you’re most likely going to see some new juicy stuff from Retrogamers spriting department. Posting this makes me feel a bit more relaxed in this regard. Maybe it will even trigger this stupid reflex of mine to do the exact thing what I said I won’t do just a second ago. But sure is that if I couldn’t work on something I love for a while due to blocks or other stuff once I return I put in full energy.

I think clarifiyng this delay now rather than next month is better.

That being said I hope you’re excited for the future, that you’re having a wonderful start in winter, get quickly adjusted to the new time frame if you’re from Europe, getting the presents you need for your loved ones (if not, be there for them, that is the whole purpose of christmas after all) and that you are having a great week. :cake: :yellow_heart: :green_heart: :black_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Apparently the new mother of Fire Emblem Engage, a game with french, isekai elements and a protagonist with two hair colours is called Lumiere and dies.

I have the power of the monado.

8 Likes

It can’t be a coincidence? Or is it?

4 Likes

You see - The truth about Parallel Emblem is that Retrogamer and I more or less stole lots of assets after trying to become game developers. At one point we worked as trainees at Intelligent Systems. Seeing how the wonderful ideas of the story writers got ripped apart by the marketing team to create yet another fates, one of the authors gave us the script, sketches and begged us to do something more classical with it. So the development of a Romhack began. Eventually we got caught and had to flee within the matrix by using a glitch on a friday the 13th. Coincidentally a meteorite flew by the earth that day. This glitch brought us into an alternate reality where we managed to switch bodies with Maeda. Our love for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE got mixed in when we changed the future during the discussion of the next Fire Emblem scenario. This is the reason why so many characters in this game look the way they are. Spoiler, but they might even add a disney musical sequence. In order to keep the usual style of modern FE stories we might’ve overdone it in terms of colorfulness and predictable storylines. But ultimately we thought it was a nessecary sacrifice to put all efforts towards the gameplay. We will see if this plan suceeded next january…

Afterwards we returned to our reality. I think. Strange things are happening like the meteorite I mentioned was not present despite it still being the same friday 13th. But who cares, we might get a new classic Fire Emblem thanks to that. But hey. I haven’t used up all the secret plans the author entrusted us with. I mean, why else do you think they don’t develop Advance Wars but a character from that game is present here?

…Okay, jokes aside I’d actually laugh if the main antagonists of Engage would try to collect souls of people to revive their dark god and so on. They don’t have something that resembles the Xeno yet.

Edit: Her name was changed to Lumerra now. We changed the future.

4 Likes

Merry Christmas, everyone. Both from us developers and the Ragnarök Clan, the coldest place in Satera.
I was thinking about making a poll next time for which characters I should draw in the future but figured since my time is running out I simple draw Helga instead because I really wanted to have a picture for you when doing this post. And Santa Klaus of course. Who else do you think is that old men supposed to be?
I dunno if the game is actually popular enough to run something like this already but we will see… I’ll just try it out in the future. :sparkling_heart:

Anyway, is it really that time of the year again? This year flew by so fast, it is unbelieveable. At least for me. Maybe it also is because I was ill for most of the month and before that I got Corona. My sense of time is dry. Or maybe I used too much from the power of the monado in our efforts to save FE Engage?

I actually have a hard time to remember what progress we actually made on the project. :thinking:
While writing this I even forgot when and if we put out a new Demo this year, lmao. Not to mention what was new there.

There definitely was progress. I think we produced around 4 new chapters rn and a last one is in the making though as mentioned it is going to be more story focused - and I gotta get back into the writing mood to completely finish it BUT! There are also new surprises and we also included some small rewards for finding certain secrets that have yet to be discovered as well as for talk events. No need to restart over for this, your save file should be… save. Retro was also very productive this year. I can’t express enough how much life his work gives the project. Not wanna tell too much but two classes will get a new look. Also this was the first time someone actually streamed the game and played infront of an audience outside FEE3. That was exciting and helpful.

We wish we could’ve surprised you with a new demo but it doesn’t feel complete yet and I already wrote about this earlier. We will take this opportunity to polish some of the earlier parts and add even more than planned, sounds like a deal right? :bread:

We wanna thank everyone who continued to support us with kind words and who showed interest over the year and hope you all have a wonderful time on christmas! :christmas_tree: :santa: :gift: :croissant: :herb: :gift: :snowman: :snowflake: :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Happy New Year, Folks!

As I mentioned before I wanted to try out a little popularity poll. Just vote for your current fav of the playable cast so far. (Although some more are technically known due to my oopsie with the Supportroom.) I’ll probably draw everyone at some point but those higher up have a higher chance to be featured next time - when I’m here with updates about the game.

• Twist
  • Saphire
  • Lars
  • Eld
  • Helga
  • Seth
  • Franz
  • Ètoile
  • Mèare
  • Amelia
  • Morten
  • Avem
  • Ferrum
  • Alex
  • Schwert
  • Melia
  • Patty
  • Heather
  • Tressa
  • Mekk
  • Donkey
  • Gear
  • Jonathan
  • Julia
  • Paula

0 voters

Also I hope you all have fun with one of Lysolleys parallel universes featured in the upcoming Fire Emblem Engage this week!

Parallel Emblem Meme 11037

3 Likes

A new demo arrives, just in time before the new FEE3!
As usual it can be obtained via our Discord. Save Files should be compatible!

Changelog
*The Demo contains 4 new chapters and marks the end of Part 1.
*7743s Fast Forward Patch has been installed. (Hold the A-Button to skip Battle Animations or speed them up.)
*Minor Chapter edits have been made
*We’ve rewritten earlier chapters, including Grammar Fixes and Cringe Reduction.

Also:
Parallel Emblem will be a part of this years FEE3! And it is by far our biggest video yet. I had lots of fun editing this one and hope to give you a good time.

I think I’m going to move the poll at the very first post so that it can’t be missed so easily. Gotta update it anyway. I hope it can be edited without losing the votes… It would be very interesting to see the evolution of these the longer its going.

Have a great weekend! :croissant: :sparkling_heart: :black_heart: :tea:

7 Likes

It’s such a shame y’all haven’t fixed the Heather supports, the updates look really exciting and I loved the trailer. I am really impressed with everything y’all are bringing to the table but Fire Emblems only 100% canon lesbian being unlesbianed is just not acceptable to me, she’s the reason I downloaded in the first place.

I hope y’all decide to change the supports for her in the future and understand that it’s not okay to make a lesbian into men because it feels right to you. I also just don’t like the narrative around her dad since like specially the creators said she didn’t have dad trauma I am pretty sure, she is defined by her relationship instead to a woman, her mother who she loves and is sickly.

It’s a weird point to be hung up on but she was my favorite Fire Emblem character until Three Houses and how she is handled really matters to me. Good luck with the game, hope y’all have fun developing it but for me, it’s gotta be a pass.

Note this is not in the Build Files this is in the extra menu for supports which I look at for every rom hack I play.