Non-healing staves can only target injured allies after installing SkillSystems Patch on FE8

Hello.

I’m new to romhacking, after I installed the SkillSystems patch, non healing staves like Warp, Rescue, Silence, etc. stop working properly and can only be used when there’s an injured ally on the map (staves like Warp and Rescue can only target injured allies, Restore and Barrier break the game if I try to use them), I’d be really appreciated if any experts here can detect what the problems are and help me fix them! Thanks in advance.

We can’t really help if we don’t have enough information.

Are you using FEBuilder or buildfiles?
If the former:
-Have you sent a report7z so we can take a look ourselves?
-What Skill Systems version are you using?
-What other patches are installed?
-Did you edit the staves at all?

If the latter:
-If you’re using skillsystems master, maybe ask about it in the #skill-system-dev channel on the FEU discord server.
-You could also post your project folder on github for other people to help find the problem. (Remember to put *.gba in your gitignore)

https://dw.ngmansion.xyz/doku.php?id=en:guide:febuildergba:report7z

Hi.

Thanks for the response! I forgot that I can send a report to you guys directly through FEBuilder, I sent a report file that include some detailed explanation about the problem, I’m so sorry this and thank you.

Creating the report just makes a file on your computer. Please send it.

I sent it and got my issues resolved, thank you.

1 Like

Hi, sorry to bump this post which was “closed” long ago.
I’ve had problems too with staves while using the skill system patch, for example a unit gets hit with the berserk staff but doesn’t get the status effect (the black magic skill works though).
Could you explain how you managed to solve the problem?

If the issue you’re having is what I think you’re having you need to set the IER byte on the items you can choose the buff/debuff that happens and the turn could it lasts for. In this case, 23 would mean Berserk for two turns, or 52 means Sleep for five turns. I think you also need to do this for the Promotion items, but different things there, with A = 10 Promotion level.

Ok thanks, I’ll test it when I can, for the promotion items, is this why units can promote as early as Level 1 ?

Does it work with Nightmare? (Fomortiss’s staff)
Because I saw that he cannot use it and just waste his turn by trying to use it

Not a clue! I really don’t have any idea how it worked and having tested things for a bit couldn’t get anything from it.

1 Like

Thanks anyway, I’ll go and test some stuff

I ran into a similar issue where it wouldn’t work outright, changing the item use conditions in the item use effect menu to sleep seemed to work, this allowed both player and demon king to use it.

Nightmare in particular sleeps everything in range, doesn’t it? That’s probably the thing that makes it the most funky.

I’m specifically talking about the use conditions, the use effect and all other settings weren’t touched, in fact Nightmare has a unique use effect, from what I could tell just changing the use conditions makes it work perfectly in skillsystem.