Matthieu's Sprites

Hello everyone, I’m new to FEU.

First of all, I apologize if I do anything wrong, or if my syntax or grammar is imperfect.
Then, I’m not very active, so if you respond to my post, there could be a long time before I reply.
Furthermore, I am currently studying and school is taking a lot of my time and effort, being the cause of the point above so I just do this as a hobby during the holidays, I’m not a spriter at all and don’t intend to be one so please don’t ask me submissions because I will not do them (and I don’t have the skill as well).

With that out of the way, let’s dive into the real topic.
I want to make a ROM Hack, however, I lack the skill of doing it and the time as well, you will probably notice a large number of playable characters which is due to the story being separated into 4 parties, adding to the complexity of my project being overly ambitious.
Still, I made some GBA portraits by splicing and wanted to share them.

I have to give credit to TheFlyingMinotaur (on Reddit) for making the Fire Emblem Portrait Maker that I have been using as a base to make most of my characters, the link to his following post here: Fire Emblem Portrait Maker: Now with More Sprites!.

I also need to thank the user @7743 for making FEBuilder GBA and for helping me with this software. I recommend checking @Klokinator for the very useful feature that is the [FE-Repo]: GitHub - Klokinator/FE-Repo: A public graphics repository for Fire Emblem portraits, battle animations, map sprites, and other assorted graphics people might like to use.

Here are the characters, I might add more in the future, if you have any advice, comments, feedback, or anything regarding those (the characters used, their personality, backstory), please feel free to contact me on Discord (Matthieu#4396) even though I might not answer your message in the shorter delays.
They are not free to use however you can download and edit them as long as you make them different enough from the original in the latter case, except for those with F2U, which are also F2E and their names and personalities might shift based on how you want them to be, only for those under the “F2U” label, please.

F2U
Original Characters

AltamiraAlfonsoArchbishopBarneyPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_139@8B Bertrand_C974B8BernardBandit LeaderBrigand BossDaneldPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_123@7B Sergio_C972F8EdIbrahimIrtusMelrosePortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_100@64 Giuseppe_C97074
PetePoncePonceRickRockTimTomOstwaldOswald CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_70@46 Virgil_C96D2CWagnerPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_35@23 Phelien_C96958Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_36@24 Matt_C96974KarlinePortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_55@37 Cassidy_C96B88Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_76@4C Lucida_C96DD4Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_78@4E Vale_C96E0CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_79@4F Ganymede_C96E28Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_132@84 Gaelle_C973F4Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_87@57 Grid_C96F08Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_102@66 Maurice_C970ACPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_106@6A Igor_C9711CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_114@72 Urvi_C971FCPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_119@77 Houssem_C97288Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_134@86 Lewis_C9742CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_141@8D Rupert_C974F0Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_143@8F Lucas_C97528Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_146@92 Ennio_C9757CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_148@94 Helios_C975B4Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_120@78 Felipe_C972A4

Other FE

BeowolfPhilip 4PaulusSummer Darin TanEmmaLavertonNumidaVolzhinXalbadorMorristan 5GyralGazakHansGrégoireLudwigGunnthra NY

• Beowolf

Beowolf/Beowulf from FE4. I know he doesn’t exactly match his original appearance and I apologise for it. I tried to make a hybrid between the multiple references I used. I hope despite his original touch, you still enjoy the mug that was originally created because none could be easily found in the GBA style format.

• Philip
  • Paulus
  • Summer Darin
  • Emma
  • Laverton
  • Numida
  • Volzhin
  • Xalbador
  • Morristan
  • Gyral
  • Gazak
  • Hans
  • Grégoire
  • Ludwig
  • New Year Gunnthrá
NPCs

Brigand ForestBrigand OceanBrigand SavannahBrigand VolcanoCavalier BlueCavalier GreenCavalier PurpleCavalier RedCavalier WhiteCavalier YellowDark Mage BlueDark Mage GreenDark Mage GreyDark Mage PurpleDark Mage RedDark Mage WhiteDark Mage YellowFlier BlueFlier GreenFlier GreyFlier PurpleFlier RougeFlier WhiteFlier YellowGuard BlueGuard GreenGuard GreyGuard PurpleGuard RedGuard WhiteGuard YellowMercenary BlueMercenary GreenMercenary GreyMercenary RedMercenary WhiteMercenary YellowPriest BlackPriest BluePriest GreenPriest GreyPriest OrangePriest PurplePriest RedPriest WhitePriest YellowSage BlueSage GreenSage GreySage PurpleSage RedSage WhiteSage YellowManakete
Now, some variations of @L95 Skeleton:
The original portrait:
Skeleton Generic (L95)
My variations:
CantorSkeleton King

All characters (generics excluded)
AlexandraAlfonsoAltamiraArchbishopAngelicaArianeBandit LeaderBarneyBastianBernardBrigand BossCalypsoCandiceCathiaChikaraCloverDamoclesDaneldDianaDimitrovDorianDragon KingEdErnstEvanFreddieGaelleGastonGeraldGilbertGodefroyGretHanranHarrisHarperHeimdallHoshiIbrahimIbukiIrtusIsabelleJeffJiniaJoeyJulianKeiraKeithKristovLandroffLaurieLedenonLeelooLegend ALegend BLEGEND CLegend DLegend ELegend FLegend GLegend HLéoLeroyLouisianeMatthieuMelroseMirandaMonicaMontaguNathanaelleNeigeNickNilsOstwaldOtisOvidePalsoPaoloPetePonceQueenQuentinRegisRickRoccoRockSafriaSairentoSalvadorSamStanislasStephen (Bei Lung)SuzanneTheresaThierryTimTomTotoUlrichWagnerWalterWinonaXavierYumiZdradliwośćZia

Characters with details
  • Eight Legends

Legend A
Geesinimo: The charismatic and mighty leader of the Great Eight. Also known as the Savior by the people.
Legend B
Meddalwch: The sweet and mother figure amongst the Great Eight. Her love is universal. Also known as the Peacemaker.
LEGEND C
Leitsung: The cold tactician of the Great Eight. He cares deeply for his sister, Meddalwch and his wife, Katadiki above all else.
Legend D
Katadiki: The intrepid speed demon of the Great Eight. Always looking for a challenge. Also known as the Pirate Queen.
Legend E
Seikaku: The representative of the field tribe. His stealth made him earn the nickname of the spy.
Legend F
Renhet: The pure and innocent lady of the Great Eight. She symbolises hope for the human race.
Legend G
Janakari: A deep source of knowledge and a valuable ally. His creations made him worthy of the title of Architect.
Legend H
Altaeaqul: Being known as the Blacksmith, this distant woman was able to make the Legendary weapons of the Great Eight.

Regarding the following characters:

• Matthieu: Sharing my name, could be considered a self insert so I might change that in the future.
  • Cathia: I wonder if her forehead is too big. Issue fixed (check the fourth reply)
  • Isabelle: One of my first characters ever being an Isadora recolour, I added a ponytail and moved her slightly to the left to match the requiring box.
  • Jeff: His hat was too big and didn’t fit in the requiring box so I had to scrap it, here is what he originally looked like
    Jeff
  • Safria: One of my first characters ever being a Leila Reskin, I added some makeup.
  • Bastian: One of my first characters ever being a Murdock Recolor, I added some scars to make him unique.

I deliberately did not show every character to avoid major spoilers in case my project could come to an end but bear in mind that there is more. But if you’re intrigued, I can tell you there are at least 3 units per class line.

Thanks for reading me.

26 Likes

Welcome to FEU! If you’re ever interested in getting dedicated help on any of these (I’d totally help you with Jeff if I had the knowledge, that hat is amazing), or you just have an insatiable lust for more knowledge of everything or you just want to meet the best user of FEU ObsidianDaddy, you can join our Discord server! Although, you might already be there and I might be goofing because it’s 2:30 AM.

Lots of these, much like everything else the Portrait Maker tends to create, are shoddy at best and at other times the neck decides to just not exist. FEU’s many portrait makers, like Busk or Obsidian would be really well suited to making these more unique than the maker’s. I love the colors you’ve chosen for many of them!

1 Like

First of all, thank you very much for your reply.
I joined the FEU server. No, I wasn’t on the server before, and regarding time, I might not live in the same region as you so don’t worry about it.
Then, as I wrote before, I’m not very active generally so I will respond whenever I can, and I’m still on holiday until this sunday so I will do my best to be active while I can.
Also, regarding Jeff’s hat, I cannot receive the merit of this work considering it was already in the portrait maker so TheFlyingMinotaur was probably the one who did it, actually I only spliced it and recreating it on the mini portrait but thank you regardless.

Thank you once again, I hope to see you sometime on the server, have a nice day, until next time.

2 Likes

Hello everyone and happy new year!
Quick update regarding my work. I have finished making every playable character’s portrait for my project. The number is a high 65 but as written before, they will be split into 4 parties. And it’s true my portraits are spliced and are not perfectly refined, despite all of that I’m satisfied with them for the most part. I’m not an artist, nor a spriter. I’m not done yet, I have some NPCs and enemies to make and of course coding.
For obvious reasons, not every single character will be shown.

Then, I have made several minor updates (mostly colour updates) in my first post however I doubt anyone could notice them, hence, in the future, I’ll make a new reply for every update as well as editing my original post.

Here are some examples of the changes I have made since last time.

Colour changes (On the left the old one and on the right the new one):
Clover alphaClover beta
Jinia alphaJinia beta
Léo alphaLéo beta
Ulrich alphaUlrich beta

Design changes (On the left the old one and on the right the new one):

Palso Old EPalso

Paolo Old EPaolo

New characters:

BarneyIbukiIrtusMirandaNeige
PalsoPaoloPonceSalvadorSuzanne

Have a great day and thank you for reading me.

(Edit: Forgot to add Suzanne as a new character and I also want to show Barney)

7 Likes

Hello everyone, I hope you’re all doing great.
I apologize, there are no new characters this time around. However, I updated the colors of almost every character so far because I noticed some colors were overall darker than the outline so I brightened up most of the portraits and did some minor updates as well.
With the red background are the old versions and with the greenish background are the new ones.
I still prefer some of the darker alterations but it’s more harmonized this way. I would like to have some feedback on some of these if you want to do so.

Some examples (edited because originally way too long)

AltamiraAltamira
BarneyBarney
Brigand BossBrigand Boss
EdEd
LeroyLeroy
PoncePonce

I will most likely from now on exhibit random bosses who don’t impact the story very much aside from fighting our protagonists.
Also, I wanted to round up things and decided to raise the number of units to 70 (it’s too much but I couldn’t resist), 5 of them would be “secret” units (like Karla in FE7). Although I would like to show other characters, there are some I wish to keep the surprise or I might directly spoil their role in the story otherwise. And with how I orchestrated my first post, their side will be revealed, therefore I might rearrange it to sort characters by their country more than their allegiances.
I will continue to work on new characters but I will probably focus on making palettes now that I’m done with the playable characters. I’ll add them to the first post once they’re done.

I will mention as well that when making a “character”, not only I make their portrait, I also have their base stats, inventory, growths ready, as a result, I might display in future, their stats to give you some content to be excited about. However, since the game might need balance, they could change and are not set in stone. If I’m being honest, my project isn’t ready for at least ten years considering the ambition and speed of development. And even if this project will never be ready, I hope it would have brought fun to all of us.

On another note, I vaguely discussed this project with of friend and they got excited and wanted to play it before the end of the scholar year. Not being possible, they then wanted me to do a smaller project. Indeed, I might focus on this smaller project (still connected to that one, it could be considered as a prequel or a DLC) beforehand which would be 2 chapters long and also being a way to “test the waters” and be more familiar with FEHacking. I cannot guarantee the deadline at all, because it’s also stressing me out, and that’s one of the reasons why I was reluctant to mention my project to anyone alas here we are. Nevertheless, I’ll do what I can. I’ll update any news regarding this project in another post.

Thank you for reading me, I hope my paragraphs weren’t a slog to go through. I wish you all a very nice day.

8 Likes

Hello everyone, as always, I hope you’re doing fine.
Once more, I’m updating you on my work. Similarly to last time, I updated almost every character but this time it was about the shadow and colour gradient in the neck/chin separation. But unlike last time, I won’t show every updated portrait because it seems rather pointless and I don’t know if you want to see that.
Besides, you might have seen my contribution to the 2021 mug-blitz, I didn’t know when it was, I had nothing prepared and happened to check during the right period. I submitted mostly lazy recolours of generic bosses (O’Neill, Damian, Eubans and FE7 soldier) with different variations based on the different nations but it can be whatever you want, of course, they are free to use and free to edit (check the first post). I also submitted this original character who is a bad splice of Duessel and Raven, named Melrose, for once this splice is also free to use and free to edit, it was a friend submission (the one who I already spoke about), here they are:
Melrose Melrose V2
Speaking of which, unfortunately, I don’t believe I can do even the smaller project until the end of summer because I have a lot of personal issues and I want to focus on those and my grades first. I also happen to don’t know anything about Programmation. I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have announced it when I knew I couldn’t keep my promise. It’s quite ironic because I used to make those portraits for fun, at my own pace and to escape those issues, the torment from real-life however it’s now another thing that’s stressing me out for no reason. Therefore, I think I will stick to make some portraits now and then. I hope you’re not mad about this decision.
I suppose you didn’t want to see me whine all day long so let us go to what you probably came here for, a new set of characters:
AlexandraAngelicaTheresaWinonaDiana
SamLandroffChikaraHanranGodefroy
I recommend checking my first post where I updated the portraits and lay-out to display characters by region instead of their affiliation to the player’s army or not.
Regarding the palettes, I tried to do a few but they looked unappealing. The places with parenthesis are place-holders. I don’t show everything now to at least provide you with a few characters each month. And I hope next time, I won’t blather as much as I did this time.
Thank you for reading, I wish you all to have a wonderful day. Until next time.

6 Likes

Hello everyone, I hope you’re well.
New characters, desert mercenaries and a bandit, hope you will enjoy them.
Ernst Keith Harper Montagu Bandit Leader

That’s all for this time. I wish you all a very pleasant day. Until next month!

14 Likes

Hello, I once again hope you’re doing fine, happy new year 2022.
Well, it’s been a while since I last posted, I’m very sorry, I had some personal struggles and didn’t really want to post, please do not worry, just forget about “Until next month” of last time.

Alright, I made some progress on the Romhack, I made all palettes for the playable units, incorporated their skills, base stats, growths, etc… in the engine, as well as new classes and new weapons. I also made the prologue playable even though it’s imperfect and that I haven’t made the dialogues yet. Finally, what I believe is most interesting, new portraits! I also edited my previous posts, mainly the first one where you can find all of the portraits posted here, which are once again not all the portraits I made but all the ones I wish to show for now.

Some edits:

Geralt Old EGerald
Jinia Old EJinia
Matthieu EMatthieu

New characters:

AlfonsoBernardThierryGilbertIbrahimDragon KingCalypsoOvideZiaQueenOtisHeimdallKeiraHarrisFreddieGastonHoshi
Now here are the main feature of this post, the legendary fighters of my story, also known as the Great Eight. (They are an equivalent to the Eight Legends of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade)
Legend ALegend BLEGEND CLegend D
Legend ELegend FLegend GLegend H

NPCs:

Please, don’t forget to check the first post for more generic portraits that are basically reskins.
Variations of the Skeleton Generic made by @L95. They are F2U/F2E.
CantorSkeleton King

I hope you will like them. Have a wonderful day.

7 Likes

Hello everyone, I dispense a new batch of characters.

ArchbishopGaelleKristovPete
StanislasTimTomZdradliwość

There is also a character with different colours in order to be more easily edited that will be F2U/F2E. I might address this as well, honestly, I wouldn’t mind people using all of my sprites, my issue is that I fear their depiction is drastically different from what I envisioned for them. However, if you want to use a sprite that isn’t listed under the F2U/F2E sub-title, feel free to contact me so I can provide you with their full template and discuss it.
I don’t think I’ll upload many more soon but I’ll try to update the first post with characters names, descriptions, classes etc… I wish you a very nice day.

5 Likes

I also did a couple of edits:
Evan Old EEvan
PoncePonce
I changed the last one because I was dissatisfied with how they looked, however, I’ll keep the original and the redesign to be F2U/F2E

Then, another character that I must admit is very heavily inspired by what @BoneManSeth in the EDGE post, link here. Nevertheless, even though some might say it’s a copy, I remade it from scratch and since it isn’t really original, it’s F2E/F2U:
Wagner

Here is the character mentioned in the previous reply:
OstwaldOswald C

4 Likes

Hello everyone, it’s been a while since I posted here but some of you might have seen that I helped with other projects such as this PME, orchestrated by @Falkyrie that I advise you to check if you’re interested:
FE7 Falkyrie’s PME.
For this PME but also for fun, I made some portraits that are totally F2U/F2E, I’ll put all of the new ones here and then add them to the first post, as always.

Here are featured the various portraits I made or modified since last time.

Original (some of them are just reskin of some characters featured here)
Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_35@23 Phelien_C96958Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_36@24 Matt_C96974KarlinePortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_55@37 Cassidy_C96B88Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_70@46 Virgil_C96D2CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_76@4C Lucida_C96DD4Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_78@4E Vale_C96E0CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_79@4F Ganymede_C96E28Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_87@57 Grid_C96F08Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_100@64 Giuseppe_C97074Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_102@66 Maurice_C970ACPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_106@6A Igor_C9711CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_114@72 Urvi_C971FCPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_119@77 Houssem_C97288Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_134@86 Lewis_C9742CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_141@8D Rupert_C974F0Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_143@8F Lucas_C97528Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_146@92 Ennio_C9757CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Chocolate version.gba_148@94 Helios_C975B4Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_118@76 Bhutaya_C9726CPortrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_120@78 Felipe_C972A4Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_123@7B Sergio_C972F8Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_132@84 Gaelle_C973F4Portrait Editor FE7 - Theater Kids PME - Vanilla version.gba_139@8B Bertrand_C974B8

Pre-existing characters

Grégoire von Varley requested by @Petey
Ludwig von Aegir

The last two are quite late for Father’s day, however, none of them is an example of a good father. Despite how you feel regarding your own parents, please be kind to them. And if you’re having trouble with your parents, please reach out to someone you can trust to talk about this.

Most of the preexisting characters don’t have clothing that reflects their canon appearances in the game, however, I’m incredibly bad with those so let’s pretend that they were introduced in Elibe or Magvel, hence their armour being the way it is.

Once more, I hope you all had a wonderful day and happy pride month :rainbow_flag:! Please take care. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Updated Ludwig’s portrait, I found some inconsistencies while looking at it again.

17 Likes

I also made Emperor Ionius IX, there are two versions slightly altering his hair colour. His hair colour is white, however, you can similarly to Edelgard, spot some reflections or colour tendencies. Therefore, I made a yellowish white and a blueish white version. I hope you’ll appreciate both, and like the other last characters, he is F2U/F2E, nevertheless, a mention would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Ionius IX YellowishIonius IX Blueish

11 Likes

The Source you have posted for Frederick is not a F2U/F2E resource. Mugs on there are for reference only, unless you know and have contacted the original artist for permission or they indicated it was free to use already.

I’m honestly dubious of whether a lot of the mugs you have posted that are not your own are really one’s you have permission to mess with… but at the very least I can say mugs from Pretsel’s Reference sheets are not one’s anyone can use that way.

If you really want to find the artist, do some research and ask them properly. If you can’t show proof its F2U/E, then it likely never was.

3 Likes

Alright, my apologies, I will take it down then, I couldn’t find the original artist so I didn’t know, thank you for letting me know, all the others were on the FE Repo which I assumed were F2U/F2E resources, I tried reaching out for Cynthia’s artist but they made it over a decade ago and didn’t have a response, I could wait sure, however, I don’t know if I will ever get an answer.

That source sheet you posted looked like SquareRootofPi’s stuff. At least the FE4/5 things in there were, you can see it in their FE4 Inheritors of the Crusade project here; Fire Emblem IV: Inheritors of the Crusade (v0.1.3 released) - Fan Projects - Serenes Forest Forums

some of the other stuff looked like Vampire Elf’s

I don’t think their stuff is F2U/E

3 Likes

It looks like just a compilation of a bunch of different artist’s sprites

In the future, I would not post that; too many artists and too many non-f2u assets.

I’m really sorry, I was very hesitant to make this last post, should I delete it entirely?

And except for Frederick, which I removed, the others were in the FE-Repo, and according to @HyperGammaSpaces

Blockquote
F2U (Free To Use) : This means you are free to use someone’s work in a project without asking them for permission. All works inside the Graphics Repository , at a minimum, fall under this umbrella. That means you can use anything inside the repo without asking permission, but you must give credit to the original authors. (Note: You may typically recolor portraits or add frames if a portrait is missing frames, even if it is ‘only’ F2U. Significant graphical edits are discouraged, but you can always ask the original author for permission to edit their work if you’re unsure.)

It’s not a big deal, you already removed the only part that was an issue.

Alright, thank you, but I guess it can always be retraced when checking what I edited it out, so just in case, should I repost without the problematic part so there is no way to get access to it?

shrug
Sure I guess.