Mark of the Dragon (Lex Talionis) 9/15 Chapters

New upload with a couple of very small fixes. Mainly removing the save files that I accidentally included in the last upload.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pjBkD-dHRU7PkFSEA9LiL21UuK6srh4L/view?usp=sharing

I hope you’ll enjoy!

1 Like

Happy new year everyone!

Slowly chapter 10 is coming together. In Chapter 10, our party has finally reached the capital city. Hopefully they can find refuge there… But most importantly, the capital means shopping!

For the first time the player will finally have access to a proper market. No more scouring the occasional armouries or vendors for a bargain. The market has it all! Well, it has more, at least. I hope you saved up some money…

3 Likes

Greetings all

Some news! While Gameplay wise chapter 10 is mostly finished, a lot of the writing is still to be done. Having gotten a bit stuck myself, I have commissioned @Xilirite to help me out with some of the writing! We shall see how this goes, but it is exciting :slight_smile:

Another new thing that will probably be coming in the next update is base conversations (that are not supports). These will help flesh out the story and the characters, hopefully!

Also, a squad of the Sidenian military will be joining the player’s party! First up is their commanding officer, Asmund. A strong and fierce, but world weary and scruffy armor knight.

Stay tuned.

7 Likes

It’s been a while! Life doesn’t always allow for time to be spent on projects like this, but I’m determined to finish this at some point. That said I plod on. So last time I mentioned a writing commission, but unfortunately Xilirite had to cancel it for time constraint reasons. That’s ok!

In any case I’ve just been making some new portraits that will be used in chapter 10, for various bits. I think I’m getting better? Unfortunately some of my earlier ones now don’t really look so good, as others pointed out even back then. Many will require redoing, but all in due time.

Here’s one I just did :slight_smile:

Small steps, small steps. Ciao.

Edit:Changed picture size and fixed spelling errors.

2 Likes

Back again! I’ve fully redone the portraits for the starting party. They should be much more on par with the vanilla portraits for villagers and such, that I use in the game. The more of the cast I do, the less jarring it should feel, so this is a good start!

Katla and Brandt

Arkyn and Erling

Solveig and Lloegyr

In other news, the intro for chapter 10 is almost finished, as well as many of the chapter events. After that it’s just the outro, and we’re all set. :slight_smile: So hopefully I can release it soon!

6 Likes

From the description this has a similar spirit to my hack! Which means we probably think alike :slight_smile: I’ll definitely give it a try later today.

1 Like

That would be awesome! I’d be happy to hear what you think!

So I have only gotten through chapter 1 and 2 and I like the the story. I will continue. I have a couple of notes that I will include below. I played on hard.

Chapter 1

This is a fine intro chapter and I like how it turns out tempo wise. I’m not sure if there’s a hidden unit that I missed but I played through it several times thinking I did. Does it have something to do with the green units?

My only note is that maybe the objective can be changed to “escape all” rather than escape. I thought at first I just had to get the first unit to escape.

There is one bug I noticed.

There is no combat forecast when I try to attack the boss which caused me to lose units the first time when he countered for 15 damage and one shot my unit :frowning:

Chapter 2

So this chapter is really really big. Maybe too big while most of the units have 4 movement.

Having the archer start without a bow wasn’t that bad when the pirate who has the bow is very nearby, but it was a cute character moment.

The bandit boss from chapter 1 walking past my units in chapter 2 to attack the village was kinda confusing though. I did like the side objective (i assume it was a side objective) in the middle of the map so I didn’t just have to walk across the large map, but the way it happened was silly.

Something about the timing of the reinforcements to the south felt off, as I was in the partially in mountain pass when they spawned meaning that they took forever to reach me, and weren’t really a concern. Additionally the mercenary boss at the inn leaving happened after I had gotten him to half health and was going to finish him off next turn. And after he left I just waltzed in. Was that intentional? It felt like the map was timed for me to move through it slower.

Other than the size it was a good chapter. Maybe it could use an early objective on the east side of the map to encourage splitting the army?

Units

Katla feels to me like a hard unit to use, at least right now. She’s not fast enough to double anything (though no units are fast enough to double rn besides Rose) and she doesn’t hit hard enough to kill anything that has more than 1/3 hp. She’s also quite frail so using her feels risky. She managed to get a few kills and level up, but she still feels like she accomplishes little.

Brandt is a better unit and your only axe user so he gets a lot of xp in chapter 1 from the soldier reinforcements.

Arkyn is a fine jagen. He hits a smidge to hard to reliably set up kills with his steel lance and the accuracy drop with the short spear hurts. That said if there’s a problem I can’t deal with throwing him at it eventually solves it.

I don’t understand Erling vs Solveig as a mechanical choice. They are in the same class but Solveig comes in a level higher with every stat being equal or higher asides from con and hp (which both have a difference of 1). And because their lances aren’t heavy enough to slow them down the con isn’t that important, but the increased speed that Solveig has is. Because growths are small in this hack it means that even if Erling has higher/different growths it’ll be a while before it significantly changes evaluation of the units. Why are they like this, I’m genuinely curious.

I got Lloegyr killed via crit in the save I ended up continuing. It seems like he’s a stronger version of Katla. But i don’t have a lot to say about him.

Now onto Askar and Rose. These units just feel invaluable because both their ability to hit from range, their speed, their move, and their damage. The only units out damaging them are Brandt and Arkyn and they don’t hit as reliably and don’t have range. They felt significantly better than anyone else up until that point and were critical to progressing through the chapter.

I didn’t get to use Nyoka much at all. She seems to be a faster Brandt which is nice, but I don’t have much to say about her.

My big note about units especially in chapter 1 is how similar the stat spreads are. And due to how often I have to go neutrally into the weapon triangle they felt all kinda the same (asides from Brandt).

1 Like

“This is a fine intro chapter and I like how it turns out tempo wise. I’m not sure if there’s a hidden unit that I missed but I played through it several times thinking I did. Does it have something to do with the green units?”

Thank you! There are no hidden units in chapter 1.

“My only note is that maybe the objective can be changed to “escape all” rather than escape. I thought at first I just had to get the first unit to escape.”

I think Escape is the standard thing it says in the vanilla maps that have that objective. I was specifically thinking of FE9 in this case.

“There is no combat forecast when I try to attack the boss which caused me to lose units the first time when he countered for 15 damage and one shot my unit”

This is really weird. I’ll see what I can do. I’ve not encountered this before, and most people who have given me feedback have escaped instead of engaging the boss, which is also the main intent. That said, you should be able to engage him, of course, should you wish to. Thanks for spotting this.

So this chapter is really really big. Maybe too big while most of the units have 4 movement.

This chapter is big yes. Currently my approach is trying to not make it empty, rather than make it smaller. In the new update there will also be a healer character here, which will help.

Having the archer start without a bow wasn’t that bad when the pirate who has the bow is very nearby, but it was a cute character moment.

I’m glad you think so!

The bandit boss from chapter 1 walking past my units in chapter 2 to attack the village was kinda confusing though. I did like the side objective (i assume it was a side objective) in the middle of the map so I didn’t just have to walk across the large map, but the way it happened was silly.

Can you explain in which way this was silly? This is supposed to make sense from a story perspective and I am willing to sacrifice a bit of sense from a gameplay perspective to achieve this.

Other than the size it was a good chapter. Maybe it could use an early objective on the east side of the map to encourage splitting the army?

I’ll definitely look into puttin in an extra early objective in the southeast! I had some qualms about whether it would make the map to slow, but it might be needed!

The units-

Katla feels to me like a hard unit to use, at least right now. She’s not fast enough to double anything (though no units are fast enough to double rn besides Rose) and she doesn’t hit hard enough to kill anything that has more than 1/3 hp. She’s also quite frail so using her feels risky. She managed to get a few kills and level up, but she still feels like she accomplishes little.

This is the intent. She does get better, all the militia do, since they level up very quickly. And doubling is meant to be rarer than vanilla. Once she gets going she should be able to do it more than most units though.

Brandt is a better unit and your only axe user so he gets a lot of xp in chapter 1 from the soldier reinforcements.

Yes, I have also found this to be the case. The others take longer to get going, but at the moment I’m not finding that to be a problem, but rather to be helpful, as they can’t all be little weaklings.

Arkyn is a fine jagen. He hits a smidge to hard to reliably set up kills with his steel lance and the accuracy drop with the short spear hurts. That said if there’s a problem I can’t deal with throwing him at it eventually solves it.

1-2 weapons are not meant to be the be all end all in my game, like they are in gba, so this is intentional. It is interesting that you think Arkyn hits too hard, because I tend to find he leaves all enemy units, except myrmidons, with about enough hp for one of the militia to take them out, and I’ve intentionally put his strength at a level where this should be the case. Do you have any examples?

I don’t understand Erling vs Solveig as a mechanical choice. They are in the same class but Solveig comes in a level higher with every stat being equal or higher asides from con and hp (which both have a difference of 1). And because their lances aren’t heavy enough to slow them down the con isn’t that important, but the increased speed that Solveig has is. Because growths are small in this hack it means that even if Erling has higher/different growths it’ll be a while before it significantly changes evaluation of the units. Why are they like this, I’m genuinely curious.

This is fair. Erling has been intentionally put at a level where he takes longer to get going than the others, and while he is more difficult to get there, he turns out much more tanky than the others. However, yes, it can be argued that I’ve gone to far here. I’ll keep it in mind!

Now onto Askar and Rose. These units just feel invaluable because both their ability to hit from range, their speed, their move, and their damage. The only units out damaging them are Brandt and Arkyn and they don’t hit as reliably and don’t have range. They felt significantly better than anyone else up until that point and were critical to progressing through the chapter.

At this very point in the game, this is the intent, though I’m not sure if they should feel stronger than Arkyn (though I guess they have different niches), so I might have a look at this. They should be able to help getting the militia going as well.

My big note about units especially in chapter 1 is how similar the stat spreads are. And due to how often I have to go neutrally into the weapon triangle they felt all kinda the same (asides from Brandt).

This is very fair. The main problem I have found is that since the militia all have such low stats (as intended) it is difficult to differentiate them as much. However, this should quickly change after a few level ups, let me know if this isn’t the case.

Really helpful feedback, so thanks a lot!!!

2 Likes

Honestly I think something in the southeast would also have slowed me down enough for the reinforcement from the south to engage with me earlier, putting more time pressure on me. Also a healer would be nice for sure!

It felt silly since they walked through my units to get to the village. Maybe if they took a different route or even if they teleported there. Narratively it kinda felt like they attacked the village killed a lot of people then walked through my units, ignoring them to get to the next village.

I think this is the case if he player phases an enemy unit or if he is the bait unit on enemy phase. My issue is likely due to the approach I use.

Because the militia can’t move too far I often will move a militia into position close enough to pull an enemy and let them take one hit from someone they have TA against. Usually it misses. The militia often gets a hit in and the enemy unit will take ~2-3 more hits to die.

My problem is when I want to use Arkyn to soften them up further for a militia to finish them off they tend to die in one hit from his attacks. So I end up dog piling the unit with militia instead.

You could give him higher weapon rank or something like that but idk. :man_shrugging:

They definitely have different niches. But Arkyn became the one I send to deal with whatever problem I only can spare one unit for and Rose and Askat were the babysitters for the militia.

1 Like

I’m also making the reinforcements happen a bit earlier now, based on your feedback! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I pressed reply too early :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha, Yes, I see the rest of your post now!

I get that. They are set to trigger when you move a bit further away, but I can see this being an issue if you spread out, because then as you say, they might move through your units. I’ll see if I can come up with something better but at the moment I’m not really sure what to do.

That is fair. I’ve tried (with relative strength and enemy placement, as well as balancing of Arkyn etc) to create some more incentive/oppurtunity for the player to be active in the player phase, compared to gba, so that’s also what I’ve balanced him around.

That is not a bad idea. I might just do that!

That’s fair. That’s not really a problem then I think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Continuing this message since I now have done chapters 3-5 and I have some thoughts on the chapters.

General Notes

Edit: It was mentioned above, but I also feel this way independently but didn’t know how to put it. Chapter 2 is definitely the weakest chapter of what I have played so far by a big margin. I have now played through it several times. I think the biggest problem with it comes from it’s size and any other problem it has is due to it’s size.

I feel the need to point this out because I LOVE chapter 4 and I like 3 and 5 a lot.

If you kill the bandit boss of chapter 1 he still comes back in chapter 2. Which is fine, but that means that the player gets two iron axes. Maybe the item dropped in chapter 1 could be different? Or change the item dropped in chapter 2 depending on if the player killed the chapter 1 boss?

The same goes for the chapter 2 boss Ash, who reappears in chapter 3. This time around I managed to kill him before he ditched in chapter 2, so I was a little confused when he showed up in chapter 4.

I actually do like how for the most part, the bosses are optional (so far at least).

Promoting at level 8 is neat, I promoted my Brandt right before I learned I was able to promote.

The skirmisher class is neat. I like.

I was able to see supports with Lloegyr even though he died in chapter 1 for me. Did I really get that many support points when he died halfway through the chapter? Or do those units start with support C with Lloegyr?

I like the supports that I have read so far. I’m interested in learning more about the background of these characters.

Chapter 3

I like this chapter a lot. The pacing was right. I only have two issues with it.

The first being the AI of Ivy and Geir. I had cleared out the initial area on the east side of the map by the time they appeared and they appeared at a ranged it would take my units two turns to get to. I assume their AI is set to “move towards enemy” or something like that because they dashed across the map away from me and I had to spend 3 turns chasing them down. I only got them because an enemy unit in the south moved towards me and then they backtracked and moved towards it. Geir was barely alive.

It could be beneficial to tweak the AI to something less aggressive or maybe have them spawn in a turn earlier so there are some units still alive for them to be pulled to.

The second thing is about the empty zone of enemies right before the boss. (It actually lured me into a false sense of security and then the boss moved and killed Askar :sweat_smile: whoops). Maybe it could do with some enemy reinforcements from behind the boss 2-3 turns before the player gets there? That said this is not that big of a deal. It was the only part of the map where I felt the action sorta stop which is why I’m pointing it out.

Having an armored knight is fun because it means I can disregard the weapon triangle (defensively) for that unit. Which is rather nice.

3 of 4 of my remaining militia promoted in this chapter which was nice.

Chapter 4

I also liked this map quite a bit.

The spilt groups have to meet up was fun and the bridges in the south east incentivized me to split my units even more, which is something I find fun.

The cleric arriving was very nice.

I think you nailed making the bottom right hand corner of the map engaging and fun, but the cavaliers portion is not particularly interesting.

The reinforcements behind the cavaliers were not scary and I felt incentivized to turn around and kill them to get more exp rather than meet up with the main group. Due to the fact that the reinforcements are foot locked they can never actually catch up to the cavs unless the player lets them, and the units faced along the cavs route were pretty easy to beat and didn’t require much though beyond using the right weapon against the right enemy, and you have all weapons.

I liked this chapter a lot! My only suggestions would be to either escalate the danger level of the reinforcements over time maybe by having them pursued by faster units, or have the cavs encounter trickier road blocks along their way south.

Chapter 5

Yay! A defend map! I love defend maps.

I liked the number of enemies that spawned and their placement and their general shared weapon.

I liked this chapter, it is a defend map, but I have two notes on it.

The first note is that this map really can encourage the player just making a ball of death and camping out. There isn’t much pressure to engage enemies on player phase (now that my army is stronger). The enemy archer is a good example of something that made me have to go deal with it.

One way that I have seen this be addressed even in vanilla FEs is by having chests or droppable items on enemies that don’t move. This forces the player to leave safety in order to get a potential reward, and I would say on this chapter 1-2 things that encouraged me to disrupt my defenses would have been nice.

The second note I have is about the boss of the chapter. She has droppable items, but she comes into the chapter on the last turn, meaning that unless I have units waiting to jump her and her posse there is no way I would be able to fight her let alone beat her (due to the previous reinforcement wave coming from the upper left of the map). On her turn she just moves towards me and then on my turn the chapter ends.

If this is intentional it’s totally fine, but I feel extending the defense by a turn or two would be beneficial. Since it would give her a turn to endanger the player and also give the player the opportunity to kill her.

Overall these are my favorite chapters thus far. I will be continuing but I just wanted to give an update while the thoughts are still fresh in my head.

1 Like

I do feel that chapter 2 is currently the weakest chapter, and it does have some changes coming up in the next update, like the earlier reinforcements and a healer, maybe more. I’ll see at that point if more needs to be done.

That’s great to hear!

This is absolutely not intentional and is an old bug that I thought I had fixed, and clearly I have not. I will have to try to fix this again for the next release. The bosses are not supposed to reappear if you kill them. This could be a big problem because in some rare cases, it is supposed to affect things further ahead as well…

You must have done. They do not start with any support points (At least you are not supposed to and I’ve never had that problem). Still that does turn out a bit strange, I might see if there is anything I can do within the engine to prevent this.

To be fair this is intentional. I wanted it to be a bit difficult to get them, especially Geir, as he is the one who dies after a while. I’ll keep this in mind though, I don’t want it to be too difficult.

Very fair. A couple of extra reinforcements at the end could do the trick.

That is quite early, in my experience!

This is very interesting because I’ve had a lot of feedback point to the exact opposite, so in fact I’ve made it easer. To begin with Sven didn’t exist, and I don’t think they even had vulneraries at first.

This is fair, but I’ve had other players suggest that this map is quite hard (normally people don’t seem to have promoted their militia at this point, and you’re forced to mostly use them) so I want to avoid a difficulty spike. I’ll keep it in mind because I do want to encourage player phase activity, as I mentioned earlier. I think what you said about enemies with droppable items that don’t move or such is a good idea though, as it might add reward for extra risk, but you wouldn’t HAVE to take that risk.

This is very fair. I’ll what I can do without upping the difficulty too much. However,

Spoiler

She is another boss that can reappear, so I wanted it to not be too easy to kill her. I may have gone too far.

I very much appreciate that! Glad to hear everything you have to say. Did you have any more thoughts on the units at this point?

1 Like

Tbf if I didn’t have a full weapon triangle and had no vulneraries I would definitely agree. The vulneraries let me take more risks and the three units with weapon triangle ensured that I would be able to two hit most enemies (aside from the armored knight).

This is probably due to how I handled chapter 1, which snowballed into chapter 2 and so on. Because I hung around to kill the boss, I also had to deal with the waves of reinforcements coming in. I sent the soldier to kill the boss (literally just rolling dice to hit) while everyone else played an absurdly risky game of baiting and killing reinforcements. I funneled those kills into Katla and Solveig. Then I was able to kill the chapter 2 boss and get the exp potion from him, which I fed to Katla (because I wanted to see if she could become good). Spoilers: She didn’t my Katla is strength cursed. So along with Brandt they promoted in chapter 3. Erling was like… level 2-3? When everyone else promoted.

It’s worth noting that Brandt and Katla didn’t have much to do in chapter 4, so Solveig is just becoming my number 1 unit. I’ll post stats and stuff later.

Ahhhh. That explains it. I actually wanted to use my other units because I felt Rose was beginning to fall behind, but instead I was made to take my strongest units. I definitely had fun, but I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if there was secret loot anywhere. :sweat_smile:

I do! But I have to get going now, I’ll come back to mention this later when I can pull up stats as well. I did get 3 units killed :sweat_smile: but the units I have are quite strong. (Asides from Kalta who got one strength level up in 9-10 levels :cry: )

1 Like
Units

Kalta
So my Kalta is str cursed. I assume her str growth is more than 20% (maybe it’s not), but she has gained 2 str from level 1 to level 2 (promoted). She’s fast and has high skill, but it doesn’t seem to matter since she hits so softly that she can’t get through most units hp by herself. Even mages. I don’t really make use of Miracle since it would mean putting her in dangerous positions.

I am assuming my evaluation of her underrates her because my str is so low.

Akryn
Remains my problem solver. If there is something far away I want done I just send him to do it with a few vulneraries and it’s fine. I’m getting ready to bench him for Solvieg though.

Brandt
Hit good. Shove is useful. Getting the iron axe on him before chapter 2 made him a much more reliable unit. I did see his support with Lloegyr (rip) and I’m interested in learning more about him. Rn he is my high damage reliable axe user.

Erling
He’s so close to promoting. His str being high is great, but his low luck puts him in constant damage of low chance crits. Because he is slow enough to get doubled 3-6% crit chance is actually quite scary when it is coming from any of the sword users in game. I think the highest crit chance I have seen against him was 11% and that wasn’t against a boss but a generic myrm.

I do think 2x crits makes this less scary, but it’s strange that he’s safer fighting lance units than sword units because of it.

Character wise I’m not that into him, but I want to see what he promotes into.

Solvieg
She’s the hard carry. She kinda has a bit of everything and got several good level ups. She has enough speed to double, enough defense to tank 2-3 hits, enough strength to kill and enough skill to win bad weapon triangle match ups. Synergy just makes her better.

She’s my favorite unit. She is also my most used unit as you can see by her level.

Rose
I lost her partner Askar to a silly mistake.

She’s a solid mage. She’s not doubling many things anymore and she’s being over shadowed by Solvieg and Hagen, but she does still babysit Erling. I haven’t gotten to use her since chapter 4 and as a result I haven’t used Thunder on her yet. Maybe that will make more useful.

Askar
Was fun to have. Maybe he was a bit over tuned, but that’s only in comparison to GBA archers and GBA archers are not great. I liked him but I wasn’t really investing much in him. Now he’s gone. Rip.
Being limited on ranged damage has made me more reliant of Solvieg/Erling with a Javelin.

Nyoka
So. I also got her killed. I was scared the chapter 2 boss was going to run away so I attacked him with a 24% chance (I’m greedy). She missed and got killed the next turn. It turns out I had more turns to kill the boss and I killed him the next turn. Whoops.

Ivy
Nice to have a unit I can just send in and not worry too much about. Having her block tiles for Erling to attack over her was what I used her most for. She fills the same role on the team as Brandt, but now Brandt can be in two places at the same time.

Geir
I think his class is neat and having a fast spear user is nice. However he did join the chapter that Solvieg promoted and was immediately overshadowed by her. I still bring him along but it does mean that I have 5 lance units, which will probably hurt me later.

Hagen
Having a healer is so nice. Having a healer that can also provide 1-2 range chip damage is super nice. Not much to say other than that.

Wyn/Edyis/Sven
I only have used them for the chapter they appeared so far. Overall I feel they are whatever weapon they are holding. I like the character of Edyis a lot.

I think Sven is the weakest of the lot, given that he is a sword unit but doesn’t have much more speed than the other two. Con doesn’t factor in either as all three of them have enough con not to be slowed down by their starting weapons. And since their strength is similar across the board when they are fighting Edyis and Wyn do similar damage and Sven just gently dinks the enemy.

I want to use Sven because he would be my only other sword unit… but he doesn’t feel good enough to use when I could just use Wyn or Edyis. Maybe if he had more str, or a steel sword or more speed? But idk about him.

We’ll see what happens when I get to chapter 6.

1 Like

Very interesting read! There will a few buffs here and there in the coming update, I particularily found Geir and Sven needed it a bit. Your Katla is definitely below average, her str growth is 40…

1 Like

Yeah I figured the growth was somewhere in that range…

I don’t know if Sven in particular strictly needs buffs or just something that makes them feel different from the units around them. Don’t get me wrong, buffs to bring him on par with the other two cavs would be nice, but another route you could take is giving him wildly different stat spread from both Wyn and Edyis so he doesn’t feel like he’s competing directly with them for a slot on the team.

1 Like

Very fair. I have tried to focus the small buffs on differentiation rather than just them being the same as others, but we will see how it turns out :slight_smile:

1 Like