Kooky and semi crazy ideas that you think would be really cool to see in rom hacks?

**What are some of the crazier ideas you have for maps gimmicks, custom classes, weapons,etc in your head that you think would be cool to see in a hack but are really hard to program or get resources of right now? **
I’ll go first:
-transfroming classes (like manaketes) that can change stats and weapons when using different stones/weapon type.
-custom classes that can traverse water and a water centered rom hack where you have more movement on water than you do on land.
-a magic centered hack that has tons of custom magic tomes and a more powerful magic weapon triangle
-a main lord that has a summonable jaegen with a custom story to explain why

5 Likes

A water centered rom hack sounds really cool! I feel like that would force players to use units and classes they otherwise wouldn’t consider, cool ideas my man!

2 Likes

Actually, my future, yet to be made, hack is quite like this since my protagonist is a magic user.

2 Likes

having a game where the majority of classes are magic based and normal weapons are the special classes with only three of would be fun.

1 Like

I’d like to see more maps focused around traps and environmental hazards (e.g. lava tiles, poison jets, and those light arrow thingies that show up in, like, one map in the Tower of Valni and never appear again.) In particular, feel like a “bullet hell” map where you have to move onto certain tiles in order to avoid hazards while making your way to the boss would be really fun. Obviously you’d have to have some sort of indicator as to where the hazards are, though, or else you’d end up with an abomination like The Bridge Map ™ in FE9, but if that was done in some way (maybe through dialogue?) I think it could be really fun.

2 Likes

This makes me think of a random map concept I had but couldn’t think of a good application for it, so I might as well share it here since it is a bit kooky…

Flying “autoscroller” like a SHMUP

• Flying unit(s) only. The “background” (i.e. map) automatically shifts each turn (loops at the edges) and grounded enemy/NPC positions update (flying enemies actually get controlled during Enemy Phase). Player units can only move left-right and attack? Or free movement across entire map area, but some failure condition if too many enemies reach the side of the map without being defeated?
  • “Shooting gallery”-like?
3 Likes

Aliens and dinosaurs

3 Likes

I actually have an idea for a map/hack that I’m not sure It’ll work in FEBuilder. It takes ideas from Frank Herbert’s Dune.

In Dune, Shields are used to reflect ranged attacks (bullets in the original, but here it can be javelins and arrows), and you can’t use shields in the desert, since it attracts Sand Worms. My idea is a map that combines desert and mountain/plain/whatever, so that you have to drag people onto the desert in order to strike with ranged weapons (or step outside if a scary enemy pursues you). Don’t know if it’ll work or be fun, but I think it’ll be cool.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s easy, integrating navies into fire emblem more. Or at least into the more grandish type games where you might be able to fit boat units into maps most of the time.

Also making the route objective function how it should. Which is to break the moral of the enemy army by doing enough physical or psychological damage that they start retreating and the more you rundown well, the more exp you get and the faster the map goes.

And as far as a third idea, although this is restricted to 3d games. Have a Z axis to the maps so that say on a bridge tile. You can have a boat unit under the bridge sailing along the river. A land unit on the bridge choking the point. And fliers on their own sky lair above that bridge that they dive down to the main layer and get something of a charge bonus when attacking (could also apply to Cavs at the expense of their choke holding ability being horrendous) and can only be countered when they are doing their swoop, attacked by other fliers, or by ranged units whom are effective but innaccurate.

1 Like

what would the title be?

shields are a part of most classes in fe but not present in their items. Maybe we’ll see shields being active weapons someday?

Is not an actual shield, is more like a force field around the person, but I would love to have shields as weapons, or at least shields that are more interesting than Three Houses or Path of Radiance. I forget they exist halfway through the game

1 Like

I had thought about this for quite some time. Particularly replacing wyverns with a mounted class whose specialty was traversing water.

2 Likes

You can have equippable accessories with a buildfile, including shields.

Weapons can already have stat bonuses, but also the skill system stat getters code lets you arbitrarily grant stat bonuses / penalties based on whatever condition you want. Like a few weeks ago I made buffs that deplete each turn for all stats instead of just res from pure water, as well as Burn and Paralyze statuses that halve your Str / Spd. I think you could make equippables swap your class, though I think it’s possibly safer to have it be an equippable accessory instead of a weapon, as that way the transformation would only occur on player phase.

1 Like

That’s an interesting concept. What kind of creature would they be riding instead?

1 Like

uuu, a water horse sounds mega fun!! to bad I’m not at that level as to make the anims myself though

1 Like

They would be four-legged scaled creatures. Basically wyverns without the wings, and with more uniformly-shaped legs and four webbed feet. Effectiveness would be the same as wyverns.

2 Likes

Now that might be possible to animate, Though you’ll have to make walking frames for the wingless wyverns

1 Like

Another idea is to have special attack animations when on a water tile. Maybe pirates attack from a makeshift raft, too.

1 Like

Teach me your ways master :pray:

1 Like