Just showing some portraits

Dev asked me to show the world the 29 portraits of the playable cast from his current project so here you go.
DISCLAIMER: Similarities with someones art is a mere coincidence. (When Dev was making them, other’s art was never used as reference. This includes mine as well.)
Oh, they’re in alphabetical order.
Clara

Colter

Dina

Duman

Eva

Frounge

Genia

Gilbert

Hunter

Jas

Jonathan

Kane

Luke

Mark

Mike

Mine

Mirani

Norman
-He blinks so fast that eye frames aren’t needed -Dev said.

Regina

Riria

Stan

Thorn

Viane

Wenay

Yanfre

Four portraits are missing because, two of them are from FE8 so no importance to be shown and the other two are secret.
All of them are missing half-closed eyes frames because FE6 didn’t had any eye frames so Dev had to make the closed ones by himself. But because pixel art isn’t Dev’s strenght, the decision of not giving any character half-closed eyes frames was chosen.
If you want them with those frames. Good luck. Only those frames can be edited or included for this case.

I wish I was in it too but Dev has other plans.

Please contact Dev, through me of course, if you want to use them. (Mainly the wolf-girl one. Dev had a hard time making the ears.)

Hope you like them. Dev worked hard on them.

Btw, why do people refer them as mugs? Do they want to drink them or what…?

9 Likes

They’re often called mugs as shorthand for “mug-shot”, which is a picture taken of someone’s face and upper chest. I usually call them portraits though, whatever floats your boat.

1 Like

don’t take this the wrong way, I’m just curious - are all the characters POC? The used skintones are unusual unless they’re at least part indigenous or something

In-lore explanation: Eventhough the story concentrates in two kingdoms. Some characters come from different parts of the continent. Others had inmigrant parents. Four of them are orphans.

Real explanation: I just wanted to add colors. Didn’t thought much about melanin. Although the majority are white and in-game they do look white.

1 Like

fwiw most of the skintones for the characters are fine, but the skintone used for the raigh-haired archer is a bit gray-green-washed-out. I suggest opening the portrait in usenti and bumping the Red and Blue sliders up a bit

edit: unless the dev is changing the palettes on insertion and the colors are for your usability, as in the end recoloring isn’t a big deal and being able to perceive colors comfortably is important as an artist

Who are you talking about exactly? Could you number the portrait. (From top to bottom)

Looks like typical CharacterCreator-related skin color issues. There’s a reason these types of portraits are derisively referred to as “clay dolls”. They don’t really resemble anything you’d see in a vanilla FE game, especially if the majority of them are intended to be white people. This figures considering that CharacterCreator was never designed with GBAFE hacking in mind to begin with.

Here’s a guide I found that includes some “standardized” tones that better match vanilla:

I know the majority of these were made by “Dev”, so if you’re relaying feedback to him, I would tell him to consider learning how to do better manual splices rather than relying on CharacterCreator for everything. Making good-looking portraits can be quite challenging, but you really do get out of it what you put into it.

2 Likes