I need to take a break on my Rom Hack

I’m terrible with criticism, I’m going to have to take a break, and Zane if you are reading this, I’m sorry for how I acted towards your rom hack…I deserved that lambast from Blazing Knight…I’m gonna go back to playing Xenoblade Chronicles… :pensive:

Sayonara, The-Wild-Fighter o7

1 Like

For context: https://twitter.com/TheKingBahamut/status/1493089833232871427 (Thanks, Zane Avernathy who found this, and is a different Zane)

Personally, I don’t think your feedback was especially helpful, but I don’t think a twitter rant about it was either.

If you want to give better constructive criticism, all it really takes is a feedback sandwich: the good parts at the start and end, with a piece of criticism in the middle. That said, if someone calling you out makes you feel like you gotta nope outta here, that’s fine. But I don’t think TheKingBahamut was trying to out you like that. To me, it sounded like a misguided tirade against poor feedback. “PLEASE do NOT dunk on The-Wild-Fighter for this”, they say, without censoring your name or paraphrasing any of what you wrote to make it less targeted towards you specifically. I’m not impressed by their post, but I do sympathize with both of you. Feedback can be difficult to give and receive, so I think it would be wise to tread carefully in the future.

Just my thoughts :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Feedback sandwich is actually not helpful - it’s better to space out positive/negative feedback so each gets absorbed. Harder to do when writing your thoughts on a hack (usually all at once), but there’s been research around this disproving the value of the method. Here’s one such article with some practical tips.

That said my advice on feedback is to never take it personally and focus on what information will actually be useful.

If you struggle w/ taking things personally, then my advice is “don’t dish what you can’t take” - how would you feel if someone spoke to you as you’re speaking to them?

Telling me that something sucks or that another project is better isn’t helpful, but telling me what can be done better and how is way more useful and frames the negative in a more positive, constructive way.

Good luck and feel better.

10 Likes

I understand what that feels like. Hope ya feel better whoever you are stranger(I’m new here).

This isn’t an academic article with any sources to “disprove” (it would really just cast doubt upon) the method. That doesn’t invalidate the author’s opinions, but it certainly does not cast much doubt on the method. I think it’s important to consider the context and means of providing feedback. You absolutely could undermine your point by relegating your useful feedback to a minor role in your conversation, crushed by the outer parts of the sandwich. But that doesn’t mean that you will always do that when using this method.

As a teacher, I learned about how establishing a balance of praise and criticism is crucial to learning. People respond best to positive reinforcement, whenever possible. I also think it’s just as important in how you phrase your criticism to achieve success. Students shut down when you generalize eg. “Why can’t you do this?” but do well when you rephrase it “I see you’re doing / did a good job on X. What are you having trouble with here? Let me help out.”

Personally I am a proponent of the sandwich method (or similar ones that I felt were too childish for feu like two stars and a wish) because it’s easy to understand and there are many people who could benefit from it as a starting point. Obviously I don’t think it’s necessary to strictly follow in all contexts every time, and I know that there are many people who have a far more developed ability to provide feedback.

Strictly speaking, I do not believe that that’s “all it takes”. :sweat_smile: But I wanted to make it sound easy to encourage him to try. I know that someone like you, Pandan, would have a far more nuanced approach, and that a feedback sandwich may seem childish, but it is my experience and learned theory that it works well as a foundation to build upon. Of course, I must be explicit in that I am an educator of children, so these principles may not apply as much in the same way to older teenagers and young adults.

8 Likes

when you try to talk back on your teacher be like:

5 Likes

This is a good point, I hadn’t considered the needs of adults vs. children in messaging - that’s my fault. Apologies.

6 Likes