How to set skills on items to activate passively

Hello FEU!

I’ve been working on a ROM hack using FEBuilder. I was wondering if it is possible to set a skill to an item, then when the item is in a unit’s inventory it can activate. Similar to the fe4 Paragon Ring. I know that you can do stat boost connected to items, but it seems like skills might require different options.
If anyone knows if you can do this or how to do this it would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I think it’s possible for that to work if you use the “apply in inventory” box or something like that when customizing or making an item.

Skills can only be on equipped weapons or on units by Class Levelup, Unit level up, Class Skill, or Personal Skill. Sorry.

You would need to code it yourself.

Passive item skills are already implemented in the skill system.
You set both the item’s skill and the passive effect flag (0x80 in weapon ability 3) in the item table.

I’ve tried that but it didn’t seem to work.

then the febuilder version must be outdated because that’s been part of the skill system for months

edit: i tried installing the 2020-11-28 version of the skill system (which seems to be the most recent builder version) and it doesn’t seem to be working so it’s probably worth reporting

All of the febuilder skilsys patch files except for a select few updates are from February 2020, I’m pretty sure.

So it seems that update would not be included in the febuilder version. @CavalryUnits You’d have to update the files via a custom build.

Edit:
If it helps, this is approx the branch where I added combat arts but might not have done too too much exclusive to pokemblem in my own custom build:

7743 is aware that the skillsys patch files on febuilder are pretty outdated. He doesn’t want to update them if it will cause bugs for users, I believe. But users want more features, so it’s a balancing act.

1 Like

Alright thanks for the help. I’ll just experiment and see what I can figure out.

1 Like

I’m new here, but I didn’t see any rules against necroposting so I figured I’d ask here on this thread, since its the only place I’ve found talking about it. I’m trying to do the exact same thing you described in this thread, did you ever have any success in doing so? Thanks so much.

Teraspark’s answer still applies; passive skill granting has been a part of master skillsys for years now, by the method he mentioned. Whether or not it’s available in builder skillsys is up to 7743, although I believe it’s in the latest update?

I’m currently using the builder skillsys, and it isn’t working for me. It seems that I’m fully updated, at least from the patches screen in FEBuilder. Would I be able to manually download it and add it on its own through inserting ASM or something like that? Again, sorry if I’m asking stupid questions, I’ve only been using FEBuilder for a few months now on and off.

EDIT: Just kidding, I’m really stupid, I figured it out. I promise I’m not blind. Sorry for the trouble!

I just tested it, and wanted to confirm that passive skills on items DO work as intended in FE Builder (as of version 20220618.14)

1 Like