Title, basically, but first, some background.
I’m currently a junior in high school. My school has all the seniors do a big, semester long project on a topic of their choosing during the last semester of their high school life. I expressed interest in making an FE ROM hack for my project, now there are a lot of problems here, so I’ll just try and list them.
- I am not an experienced coder.
- I have some experience in basic languages like HTML, Java, and PHP, I also used Construct 2 to build a lot of really basic games, but I have no real experience in hex editing, which, from what I've gathered, is a lot of the work for a totally new ROM hack.
- I need to get 180+ hours of work out of this
- Maybe this would be easier than I think, but again, I have no idea if I could get that much time out of reading "how to"s, importing other people's code/sprites, making some custom maps, and hex editing. Or if 180 hours would be enough time to make a good 15+ map hack.
- I would need a mentor.
- One of the other requirements is a mentor, someone experienced in the field I would be researching to teach me how to do XYZ and make sure I'm actually progressing and getting a satisfactory result. From what I know, most of the experienced hackers are quite busy being university students/adults, so I'd hate to take time out of their lives to help me work on a project that, for them, is probably just a hobby.
- I have no clue where to start.
- I imagine this is quite easily remedied with a google search or a quick question around here, but I've seen what feels like 6 different places to start, each one seemingly recommending different things and ways of working.