How do you make a combat sprite semi transparent?

So I was looking at a collection of GBA animations, and noticed that Lyn’s critical has two faint illusions right next to her. Does anyone know how this effect was achieved? I want to do something similar and have no clue how they did it.

They’re flashing at 60fps but it’s a 30fps video, so it looks semitransparent. You can’t actually have semitransparent battle sprites.

Wait FEGBA runs at 60? Holy shit I though it was at 30. So what you’re saying is to get the same effect you need to just have them flicker on and off.

So what you’re saying is have the copies appear on frames 1, 3. 5, 7, 9, ect

That’s usually how pixel games handle that, yeah

You might even be able to enhance the effect by cutting the sprite into two pieces with dithering and alternating them, idk.

That said, I’m like 99% that the GBA supports alpha at a hardware level, it just isn’t coded in the animation engine. I’ll try to look up the relevant bits in GBATEK later.

FEXP/FEXNA supports making the frames transparent or partially transparent. I know because I remember animating this loathesome creature. Oh god, when the head bobbles…

What would dithering mean in this context? I looked it up and it seems to be when you have colors intertwine to make the transition smoorther.

the simplest method would be to just take every other pixel (in a checkerboard fashion) from the sprite, make that one frame, and the other frame is everything that you just removed

in this context, to “dither” just means to take some random selection of pixels that’s spread roughly evenly throughout the sprite

I gave it a try, it looks a little jittery. I’m not sure if it would look good.

Edit:Should I keep the outline intact?