How do you feel about your work being showcased?

I would like to have feedback to improve the game.

It might be a good idea to display the discord URL for feedback on the title screen.
Since the OP title screen is always displayed in every game, the feedback URL is also displayed every time.
Even if they don’t download the game, people who are interested in watching the stream broadcast may access it.
Then you may be able to get feedback from those people.

6 Likes

Genius! I’ll have to remember that little trick.

At least you didn’t get meme’d about elevator malfunctions .-.

THIS.

Disclaimer: Courtesy is very nice and I greatly encourage it

That being said I feel expecting any form of permission granting in the context of LPing publicly available projects is getting a bit too big for our boots (and defeating the point of something being public!)

The quote that pops to mind is “there is no such thing as bad publicity”, but maybe I’m missing the point…?

7 Likes

When it comes to an incomplete project, especially one in the early stages, I think courtesy should be encouraged a little bit more or at least notification for showcase and hopefully CONSTRUCTIVE feedback can be given and hopefully said LPer will represent it as a project in its early stages. That being said, only the LPer can perform said courtesies because if a project is public then that’s it, you’ve put it out there for anyone to play, so anyone will do with it what they will.

When it comes to complete projects, I think it should be treated as an actual game, because regardless of whether it’s a ROM hack or not, you’re still making a game for people to play like you would an indie project. If it’s in what you as the creator deems a complete state, and it gets badly represented in your eyes after a complete LP, then that’s not necessarily the fault of the LPer, in some cases, sure, but usually it’s because the hack, to be frank, probably isn’t what you see it as or want it to be seen as.

I understand there was the Project Ember controversy a few months back, and regardless of your feelings towards the Mangs controversy, it’s a public game, anyone can play it and showcase it if they wish. The moment it’s released, it becomes available to all, regardless as to whether you want someone playing/representing your game or not, that’s not something you get to choose, and as said before:

There is one small thing I’d like to note regarding this and that’s any LPer’s audience. Unless the commentary is non-existent, unless someone goes out to play the game themselves, their opinion will probably be formed by the LPer’s experience. I think the best case to show this is MarkyJoe’s Ragefest. An extremely small amount of his audience actually bother to play the submissions after he does, so when it comes to the audience vote for the end of the contest, they usually reflect MarkyJoe’s feelings towards the submissions, because that’s the only representation of the submission the audience actually took in. There have been some cases where he’s redone LPs for submissions such as Julius’ Revenge, or apologised in a video for being overly negative in Chapter 2 of Tactical Nonsense, because he felt he was doing the creators of those games a disservice by representing them in that light.
Because of situations like this I can understand if a creator feels their game is badly represented because it simply got memed or shat on by an influential figure so their audience just spews “hack bad” or “nothing personnel kid” (or smth) everywhere, with no constructive feedback coming in from said audience.

In conclusion, whether you like it or not, if it’s public, people get to play your hack regardless of your feelings, suck it up. If you don’t think it’s in a state where you want it to be showcased, set something up for a closed beta. That being said, I understand the value of public feedback since it can provide a fresh perspective, but, the creator needs to understand everything else that comes with releasing a project publicly, complete or not.

4 Likes

Name suits the comment.
But yeah, it’s flattering when you know the thing being show on Youtube is your work.

honestly if my hack ever gets LPed I wouldn’t complain if I wasn’t notified, however I would prefer to be notified first along with any complaints they may have with the game before they miss the video in case they misinterpreted something in the hack. Honestly I don’t really even care if they criticized the game, it gives me feedback so why not? The only reason I’d really counter anyone’s argument is either if their statement is flat out incorrect or if I want to gleam more information, like how they felt about this potential solution or something like that.

I’ll only say this due to being pinged about this topic again, but given I have had 2 very negative experiences with people let’s playing my projects, my stance is the same. If either person had asked me prior to their videos, I would have declined the request, but I was not able to do so.
There are many reasons someone may not want their work showcased, one being the specific person showcasing may not have the right intentions. Always ask first.

4 Likes