How difficult is it to remove entries from the "Guide" in FE8?

Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones

I would like to use this for some information to give to the player, like class promotions and promotion gains being listed out due to differing from vanilla, weapon triangle value changes, or maybe some new functions included with the skill system, like the ability to see growths.

However, there is a lot of unnecessary gameplay information here that anyone who would actually install an FE hack would not need to reference. I assume as far as changing text goes I just need to replace what is in the relevant text ID, but I do not know how to deal with all the extra entries I don’t have anything to say in.

For reference, I am inexperienced and can more or less only achieve things with FEBuilder on my own due to my low familiarity with hacking. However, I have seen this guide edited before, in a hack made for MAFC hosted by Ghast.

Not so difficult.
MENU->Detail Menu -> Dictionary

2 Likes

I know this topic is already over, but why would one want to remove entries? Sure, they are not nessesary, but it is not like they really hurt to keep either.

If there is new information present inside of a guide, leftovers would waste time being checked by people, or even obscure the existence of the new information by giving the player the idea that the guide doesn’t have a purpose due to mostly being about basic things most every GBAFE player knows about already.

Even on the assumption that all of the new information takes up the earliest entries to check, the remainder which are leftover from the base game both do not provide a complete guide as they were intended to be a part of and end up looking exceptionally unprofessional. The menu will scroll down to these additional entries even though I only need 6 categories as well, when there’s not supposed to be anything more to see.

Theoretically, even keeping base game chapters is extra content for a hack which was only intended to be like, 8 chapters as an example. However no one would really expect finding themselves on Chapter 9 of FE8 in a hack not set on Magvel with original characters to be intentional rather than an oversight.

1 Like

There’s a very cool thing you can do with the Guide, that is a lore book. You see, there’s a special flag connected with all the entries, that you can change. So, you can dump all the bonus lore there and not cram it into the dialogs.