General Spare Game Concepts

I’ve always wondered what would happen if someone with ADHD made a gaiden chapter, and then another one, and they just kept getting distracted and making more gaidens, and by the end the gaiden chapters were literally a full game in an of themselves. Maybe that’s what happened to FE8’s route split.

1 Like

Hi! I was wondering if this concept (the survival horror thing) is free to use? I am gonna try to make a short hack to help develop my skills, and this sounds really fun to make.

1 Like

Go ahead! Keep us updated on your progress, I want to see how it turns out.

Great! I was planning on making a thread on Serenes Forest, and then I’ll make one on here once I have a little bit more progress.

I was thinking about doing something similar namely replace link arena in the extra section of fe8 with a Zombies opinion ala Call of Duty

It’d definitely be interesting to see a survival horror mode FE. Perhaps it would be structured like Lagdou/Valni, with multiple floors all having “Escape within X turns” goals (like how Zombies pushes you into new areas). Any units that didn’t escape would die on that floor, ala FE5. I believe the Light Rune still works in FE8 (it’s one of the “Dummy” items), which could replicate the barricades you use to stall zombies with clever use of chokepoints.

You could maybe even replicate the way zombies handles death by having them “collapse” at 0 HP; their Mov would reduce to 0, and enemies would ignore them but you get a 1-turn grace period to heal the unit or they die for real.

1 Like

Great, I can see it now, each FE game from now will contain Waifu wars, bathhouses, and zombie mode but only for the route that allows enemy grinding available for an additional fee

On a more serious note, hasn’t someone already made an FE8 Zombie edition hack, I swear I saw one on FEShrine.

1 Like

Is it that Emblem Brigade group project? From what I’ve seen that one is more zombie parody and forum in-jokes than survival horror.

Project Z was an FE8 re-skin before becoming a full-custom FE7 mod. That’s what MC is thinking of, I imagine.

yeah there are light runes and mines and other goodies in the game code.

I had a thought about making a fatigue system with that as the penalty

that was an actual hack with chapters and characters whereas what I suggested would be an extra like zombie mode alongside the campaign mode in CoD

2 Likes

Once upon a time, I remember seeing a video where Ryrumeli had assigned events to Skirmish/Valni/Lagdou maps; perhaps “Zombie mode” could give you the choice of a Valni or Lagdou run, load units from save file ala Link Arena, load a prep screen before the first map (not on subsequent floors, though - gotta make your party last), and have it read from events if zombie mode is active (this way, you can add reinforcement spam and other stuff to the maps). You could disable access to supply mid-map to add to the challenge, too, so that you only have access to what units bring and what gets dropped. #2Cents

I say gofer it, man. Would be great fun to play.

Yeah, but I can’t event for shit
Maybe we should collab :wink:

necroing cuz this is a pretty interesting topic and everyone probably has some spare concepts

Kind of going off the “zombie apocalypse survival” in that everything is one chapter, an interesting concept could be an entire hack that takes place within one chapter and one map. The idea would be that as soon as you complete one objective, another objective pops up, but it would all be in the same chapter and same map. For example, the first objective could be take a certain castle, and then once you take that castle, a dialogue scene plays and enemies take a different castle and you have to retake that castle, and once you finish that, bandits pop up and you have to save some villages, etc. You could even expand this out into an “open world” fire emblem, with multiple objectives and branching paths all on one map.

The gimmick of “an entire hack in one chapter” could create some interesting gameplay in that the player would be playing the same map, but in a different way to complete every objective.

really this is just a half-baked idea so i have an excuse to necro the topic

Bandit Emblem could also probably make an interesting hack, with you constantly running away/striking quickly at villages. From a story perspective, it could be a comedy hack where the obvious evil of the bandits is played for laughs, or a serious morally grey hack like Robin Hood.

Finally, I think Black Fang Emblem is one of the more interesting ideas based on FE itself. You could have a series of somewhat unconnected chapters, with the first arc exploring how Brendan Reed founded the Fang, and then the next arc could be about how Nergal infiltrated the Fang and turned it against itself, with a final arc showing Nino, Jaffar, and Legault after the war. Specific chapters could be:
-Battle Before Dawn from Nino and Jaffars perspective
-Kenneth and Jerme assassinating someone, having doubts about the Fang and Nergal, before Nergal or Sonia shows up and corrupts them into the psychopaths they are in FE7
-in general quite a few assassination chapters followed by character development for characters involved
-Nino, Jaffar, and Legault meeting up again sometime between FE7 and FE6 and fighting off some bandits
-Fighting the Knights of Pherae and Elbert with morph NPCs
-Raigh and Lugh tracking down Nino and Jaffar to a remote Bernese mountain village before the chapter where you fight Brunja in FE6 and fighting off some Bernese soldiers together

From a gameplay perspective, you would have some of the unconnected chapters and promoted characters similar to EN, plus assassination chapters lend themselves well to stealthy, offensive gameplay. From a story perspective, you can explore lots of grey morality and develop a ton of minor bosses, like Kenneth, Jerme, Ursula, and Brendan Reed. Also, the Black Fang has enough source material so they aren’t complete blanks like, say, Treck, but not so much that doing a hack on them would be pointless, like, say, any of the main characters.

Also another interesting hack based off FE could be a one chapter hack on how Rutger escaped Bulgar.

wow that was way longer than I meant it to be

4 Likes

Necro’d thread I didn’t know existed let’s me reply to this:

I tried my hand at making a parody hack; it’s beatable but lacks polish in the later chapters.

Some tips I’d like to share to future comedy hack makers:

-Keep it short and sweet; the overall joke is gunna overstay its welcome at some point if you drag it out to a “full length” 25 (or whatever) length chapter hack (this one is courtesy of Arch).

-Accept the possibility that people may dismiss your project as a “meme hack” no matter how much elbow grease you put into it.

-You have many pools of resources to pull comedic gold from, you don’t have to think outside of the box, vanilla FE/mechanics have a lot of banter potential.

-Gameplay is just as important as it is in any other project; the hack needs to be fun to play.

-Be open to constructive criticism, your job is to create an experience that is both entertaining and challenging. Comedy does not replace game design.

11 Likes

Well, might as well throw my two cents in here:

• A game/hack that takes place at least partly in a more tribal(?) setting. In addition to hunting/killing wildlife you’d fight off invaders or something. Gameplay would be heavily focused on setting traps and if need be, luring your opponents in them, as well as making as much use of the terrain as possible (Cavs typically get slowed down more by forests than foot-locked units do, for example). Emphasis on traps is there because you’d often be vastly outnumbered, so taking the enemy head-on will only get you killed fast.

• A short, like 6 or so chapters “long” hack, where you can clear the chapters bar the final chapter in any order you want. In the start events the game would check which chapters you already have cleared, and load the enemy units based on that. This way there actually would be some sort of difficulty as well as variety that brings more replayability.

• A game/hack that has an emphasis on who you recruit: for example, recruiting A and B will make characters C and D (and the faction they belong to/represent!) your enemies, and vice versa. Basically allying yourself with different characters/factions will result in other factions/characters becoming your enemies instead. The choices you make determine who’re you fighting against as the story progresses, and who will carry the mantle of final boss. You could even make it so that when you’re allied with different factions, you get different kinds of maps (in terms of their objectives): some might have defense-focused maps where you’re to defend forts or save villagers, whereas other some faction has you sneak in and steal stuff or assassinate a noble/enemy boss etc.

I think that’s all I have for now. I might add more if I can come up with anything, these ones are ideas I had or at least occurred to me at one point.

4 Likes

My concepts that may or may not become reality:
FE3 Book1 remake. plattform:FEXNA(you can imagine why I did not do it yet)

A reimagining of marths time how I imagine it could be written down in historybooks around the time and after awakening. Honestly just a storygimmick to justify not being bound by canondecisions in fe11 tho.

Planned are supportconversation,a recreation of the original fe3 book1 content with modern touchups and references to the fe anime(for example,the game would start with a prologuechapter taking place in marths dreams that is a recreation of the animes first scene),baseconversations and an overall good gameplayexperience if possible.

(a sequel is also possible in which kris does actually exist because I just say people rediscovered his existance post-awakening and he has a completely diffrent role because people are still throwing theories about what he did back then. That game would basicly be the fanfiction version of fe3 book2/fe12)

Fe7 Echoes. plattform:FEXNA(yet again)

an actually faithful prequel to fe6 using the concepts and if possible characters from the original fe7. lyn does still exist,but with a changed story that connects to the mainplot better. overall just meant to be a retcon of the original game with a more balanced gameplayexperience because I do not like it’s story(and no,I don’t want to spark the plotholedebate with this) and the gameplay is kind of a mess at times.

FE:Tales of Elibe Plattform:FE8

Now,this is kinda diffrent in nature. This is supposed to serve as a prototype to the FE7 project I talked about up there,but it also is supposed to adapt the fe6 story to include references and stuff like that from fe7.

It is not a serious project that is supposed to do much of anything, I just want to explore the possibility of not going completely nuts on fe7 and connecting the games more. Also to stop the memes of the only fe6 remake that actually did a thing in the last decade being maiden of darkness which is made in the fe6 rom itself(I think).

FE9 and FE10 improvement patches. plattform:none,supposed to be only a fix to vanillagames.

Basicly just like the improvement patches I already did. Fixing up some translation, errors in general,etc. Biggest point of interest here would be to include the lost content from the extended script into the english script. This project highly depends on the advancement of hackingtools and texteditors for the games. A tellius-FEBuilder or something similarwould be perfect.

Oh,also it depends on there being a translated version of the extended script in the first place of course,I don’t actually speak japanese

I posted it here because I would not be opposed to someone else doing it. I dont have much time and motivation for everything