GBA RNG Randomizer

Do you know how the randomizer works during enemy phase/battles? I know it advances per frame on player phase, but what about then?

The code only burns random numbers if the phase is set to 00 aka player phase.

1 Like

Finally got around to taking another look at this, and… I have no clue what was going on before, I must have broken something else or my ancient vba-m was the problem (have since updated).

However, I’m testing a vanilla fe8 rom with just RNGRandomizer applied, and if I restart mid battle and then resume I end up with different results. Specifically, restarting the game during the enemy phase and resuming gives me different results. It seems to work fine during player phase.

I did some preliminary testing on it earlier and I was able to get different results on player phase but not enemy phase. I will look into it more later to try to see what’s going on.

Fixed code that was causing the FE8 RNG to become incorrect when resuming your game. No$GBA doesn’t like my fix but VBA and Bizhawk do fine and are working properly.

For some reason, adding RNGRandomizer to Order of the Crimson Arm (FE7) stops the game from loading. I’m just doing this for my own playthrough, but I can’t figure out what went wrong. I used both FEBuilder and EA, so it’s not exclusive to either. Do you happen to have an idea?
If not, that’s fine, I can deal without. But it’s something I’d like to understand.

did the old version do this? Otherwise I don’t know anything that might cause the problem. It’s possible I have to change my fix for FE8 or it’s just not compatible.

I downloaded the latest patch like 5 days ago. It’s not age, at least I don’t think it is.

EDIT (so I don’t double post): The method I use to patch work so on other ROMs, like FE Requiem and a couple others. So it’s something to do with the ROM.

Then the patch isn’t compatible, get over it. If you downloaded it 5 days ago then you don’t have the most recent version, which means my update wasn’t the problem. That’s all I was concerned with, not your patch being too old, quite the opposite actually.

BTW: By not compatible I mean the ROM and the patch just won’t work together and there’s nothing I can do.

From my testing on FE8, RNGRandomizer now works perfectly fine irt suspend/resume. I only tested VBA-M though.

seemed to work fine to me, it just crashed no$ lol.

Ok I’ll deal. I just wasn’t sure, and I said I’d be fine earlier.

Hey,

I’ve been toiling away at this for a few hours and keep running into a problem.
I got EA to do its thing and say no errors, finished. But after its done, the ROM just shows a blank screen. I’ve tried downloading the ROM from several places to make sure it’s clean: they all work before the hack, don’t after. Using vba-m.

What I’m doing:

Is something wrong with my ROM or should I try a different emulator?

image You are writing data to the start of the ROM, completely ruining it.
Set the starting offset to be in freespace

What free space offset will work? I’ve tried ~ everything listed here:

Same results. Do I need to click disassemble first, or something?

I assume the goal is to install this?
The offset in EA zoomed in with the picture provided by Leonarth is for disassembling data(such as chapter events) from the ROM itself to another file. If you are assembling data, the offset would need to go in the .txt or .event file, at the beginning. As long as the freespace is either definitively 0xFF repeated or 0x00 repeated, it should be fine, though the safest option is always at the end of the ROM itself.

Yes, the goal is to install. I’m using the buildfile as given in the OP of this thread. Do I need to modify it in some way?

Yes, I believe so. At the beginning of the file, add:
#include “Extensions/Hack Installation.txt”
ORG 0xOFFSET
and change the offset to either freespace or at the end of the ROM.

Yeeees. That did it. Thank you.

For others using FE8 USA edition:

#include "Event Assembler V11.1.3\Extensions\Hack Installation.txt"
ORG 0xEFB2E0

(Replace the path with the appropriate folder relative to your build file as the OP said before)
Thank you a million SM!

Would it be possible to port the RNGRandomizer to FE6?