Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror (Full Game - FE8 ROM Hack)

@caladrius Great job on the exciting 3.0 update! This was already my favourite rom hack and it just keeps getting better it seems. Looking forward to another run in the future.

@IYNH Totally agree on Roxie being underrated. On my second playthrough I did a female only run and Roxie was far and away my strongest unit. She starts out frail, especially her HP, but she quickly becomes quite tanky and has very powerful offense. I keep seeing people praise and straight out prefer Liang, but I always thought Roxie was the stronger early game choice. Liang has nice utility but if you want to use him as a combat unit as well his strength growth is very shaky.

1 Like

Roxie is pretty awesome, yeah. In my first run she unfortunately grew rather badly and then died, but this time around sheā€™s doing way better. Sheā€™s out there one-shotting things with the basic flux tome lol.

Gonna give this hack a try after seeing this years FEE3. So much more polish than what I saw in 2019. Excited to play.

i donā€™t know what that was
but it better not happen again.

1 Like

Iā€™ve played up to chapter 21x. I donā€™t want to clog the thread with too many of these ā€œtypo reportā€ posts, but I also donā€™t want to find myself making one with a hundred images, so I think Iā€™ll do this one and then another at the end. You know the drill at this point.

Typos

Not yours alone

quite an aggressive temperament

can we disregard

Now then, how long will it be until the enemy lets up?

Allow your loyal soldiers

See to it

Youā€™re confident in this decision. ā€œConfident withā€ exists, but from what Iā€™ve gathered it doesnā€™t fit in this context. Do forgive me if Iā€™m wrong. Iā€™m not a native English speaker and sometimes these oddities of the language get the best of me, haha.

Some commotion

One and the same

The lives of others

Your fatherā€™s life

By all means

In such a barbaric manner

are closing in on the hostages

Screenshot makes it hard to tell, but this is a question. It should end on a question mark.

I brought its destruction.

in the Dalmask and Talford regions

to find our way

that was a scream

These two objective texts donā€™t fit in their boxes. Also, I just noticed the weird visual glitch with the numbers in the second one. Not sure whatā€™s up with that.

No offense

you ainā€™t

Unnecessary in

That you take shelter

Remove the ā€œmany of.ā€ Leave it at ā€œour forces have already suffered a heavy blow.ā€ I feel that sounds better.

You must protect at least 3 watchmen

after the war

Missing dot here. I know, big deal. Iā€™ve not been keeping track of these little punctuation mistakes as much as the proper typos, becauseā€¦ well, personally, I donā€™t notice them as much. But eh, here, have one.

changing your mind

It wasnā€™t until I returned from Celyste about four years ago that I learned

I can attest

a handful of times

starting to think

left in a hurry

and hers

That first period should be a comma. Again, I kinda feel bad bringing these insignificant punctuation mistakes to your attention, but given that this is the main antagonistā€™s bio, I figured I might as well.

a long way

The Rogue of Righteousness. I almost didnā€™t catch this one. Righteousness is such a handful of a word, itā€™s easy to miss the odd vowel.

Thieves

This sentence is weird. I think what you were trying to convey here is ā€œI heard many rumors that strange Pegasi and Wyvern riders have our harbor on lockdown.ā€ That works, Iā€™d say.

First comma is unnecessary. Sorry, sorry. I guess I was feeling particularly nitpicky that day.

Jubir is misspelled in these two instances.

for the greater good

to persuade

what I have always been

in her ancestorsā€™ methods

looking for redemption

I always thought

the house Ashmonte

than yours

of yours

Issues

The sequel to the unknown soldier from my previous post: There is a single Celyste cavalier among the Proclaimer reinforcements in chapter 20.

The flashback to Devante and Alouetteā€™s confrontation during Queenieā€™s conversation in chapter 20 still uses the old version of Devanteā€™s portrait. Iā€™d forgotten how derpy he looked lol.

Silver Paladin Danika appears to be immune to the halberdā€™s effective damage. This is odd, because as you can see on the second image, enemy silver paladins suffer effective damage from the halberd. I also seem to recall Danika taking effective damage prior to promotion. Strange.

Assassin Atticus cannot use the longbow even though he has the weapon rank for it. If the longbows are meant to only be usable by archers and snipers, please change the weaponā€™s description to reflect this, as it currently only says ā€œnon-mounted only.ā€

Still loving the hack. In fact, I think Iā€™m liking it better this second time around. Difficult feels a lot better than Maddening did. But thatā€™s just me. I just wish I had a couple more deployment slots. Too many cool fellows Iā€™d like to put in the team, haha. Even had to bench my man Kurtis. I still love that beard, but he had his chance. Itā€™s time for others to shine.

Also, Iā€™d just like to say that chapter 17x was absolutely brutal. That was darker than Iā€™ve come to expect from this game. I mean it in a good way, loved that map for what it was.

2 Likes

Temporarily closing at OPā€™s request as they focus on an offline circumstance.

I remember playing the game a few months ago and there were some things unfinished, like multiple supports. Maybe the version I was playing was the previous one? Anyway, have the supports been fixed?

I think it has been over a year since I have even been on FE Universe. Hope everyone had a nice 2022. I am announcing a major, 4.0 update to The Lonely Mirror. Updates include:

• 4 new chapters experience through route split and player choice
  • 2 extra bonus chapter maps
  • 3 new playable characters
  • 3 new classes
  • Over 20 new support conversations written
  • 38 character and portrait redesigns ā€“ Here is a preview of four of the new character portraits in Lonely Mirror (from left to right: Boone, Joseph, Kathryn, Roxie).
    LonelyMirror_Boone_youngLonelyMirror_Joseph_youngLonelyMirror_Kathryn_youngLonelyMirror_Roxie_young

Download:
You can download a UPS of Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror 4.0 ROM hack here:

29 Likes

Supports were never broken. Supports are a ton of work! I just havenā€™t written them all yet. I am more than halfway done with them though. I think I have about 50 left to do, and I have accomplished over 70 conversations.

5 Likes

Oh sh*t, time to replay this I guess.

Nice job, Iā€™m looking forward to the experience!

Iā€™m glad youā€™re doing alright and excited to play the new version!

PS: Daaaang you really got the hang of portraiting with those new mugs! Lookinā€™ good

1 Like

Wow!!! I followed and played this game back in the last version some time ago and really adored it. The characters were quite a delight and I remember some lively and lovely maps - Especially involving my queen Amanda

I loved reading those character reviews you did and seeing the art for them too (Big fan of Silvan and Myles), and Iā€™m glad to find that this game has more to experience. Thanks a bunch, I look forward to playing it!

By the way - Are your guides in the folder updated with the 4.0 stuff? I like checking who has got support convos and such

1 Like

Welp. Time to play it for a third time, here we go. 4.0 out of nowhere. Good to see you back!

3 Likes

Well, time to see the new changes that you made and added content along the way.

Thatā€™s a really good idea, @Tangrow. I added a separate Available Support doc to the Dropbox, so that anyone can keep track of which supports have been written. Currently there are 76 conversations, so I hope the ones available are with your favorite characters. There is some more content for Silvan and Myles in this version.

Otherwise, yes, the guides in the folder (aside from the Rune Guide) have been updated with 4.0 stuff.

1 Like

Actually, I am working with an artist who goes by caringcarrot online. She is fantastic and should receive all praise for portraits. My portraits are just so-so; they get the point across, but they can be a colorblind mess. We will continue to iterate on the remaining characters. There are still a couple left to go.

4 Likes

Iā€™m hoping to jump back into this game sometime, I had fun on my first run.
One thing Iā€™ve been wanting to ask since I found this game, who did the art you have in the op? I really like the hand-drawn portraits. Do they have twitter or some other kinda social?

CaringCarrot did some of my favorite F2E portraits available on the repo. Send my regardsā€¦ buddyā€¦

1 Like