Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror (Full Game - FE8 ROM Hack)

I added it myself with a built in FEBuilder patch.

2 Likes

@caladrius

Thank You for this hack, the difficulty at the last couple of maps was wayy too hard but i managed to finish it, was really nice.

Look forward to ur next project.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I don’t get this right. So by that, I can practically recruit both Shiloh/Riley and Danika. And just let Tanya/Wanda/Winnifred leave the party right? (Since I got some quite unlucky lv up of them in most of my playthrough, it’s just easier to just ignore them overall lol). It’s quite confusing so I just have to double check.

1 Like

Basically you always get one of Shiloh/Riley and Wanda/Tanya. When accessing Ch17x on Maddening, you get the ability to choose 2 of the 4 for your final party.

1. Shiloh or Riley (whoever is not met on Ch14)
  2. Wanda or Tanya (whoever is not met on Ch17)
  3. Danika
  4. Caspian or Winifred or Travis (whoever spoke to Tynan on Ch17)
1 Like

Hello,
Just download your v11 version, I see that Leah is Lv1. Is there misunderstand from my side?

Character Spotlight: Wanda

This month’s spotlight is all about Wanda. Wanda has scored decently on the character popularity poll, but she is also @Epholo8 favorite character, and I want to do this one as a thank you for his LP content.

Background:

Wanda is the only daughter of Lord Talford, and she grew up in an overprotective household stemmed by her birth defect, which caused total blindness in one of her eyes. She fell in love with horseback riding at a young age, but her father forbade it out of fear that she would not be fit to ride due to her condition.

Through the years, Wanda acted the part of perfect daughter for her father. She became knowledgeable of Burga’s commerce and trade accounts with the other nations, and she was even handling trades at a young age. However, horseback riding was not something Wanda could stay away from, and for a while would ride in secret. Wanda’s headstrong passion made her into an expert rider, and she even became proficient in jousting after entering tournaments using an alias.

Eventually, Lord Talford discovered his daughter’s secret. While he became more understanding after learning of Wanda’s talent for riding, he never fully gave his blessing out of fear for his daughter. As a compromise, Lord Talford would allow Wanda to ride on easy roads while she monitored trade routes.

Years later, with Astoria’s coronation in sight, Wanda discovers that the famed White Lions have forced their way into Burga’s border. She reports the invasion to the council but finds it strange that none of Burga’s military suffered any casualties. The turn of events gives her and her father reservation about pursuing with the coronation ceremony and believes it to at least worth listening to the White Lions words of warning. This ultimately results in a delay in the coronation ceremony.

The Talford region is soon invaded by the Proclaimers under Astoria’s order, and Lord Talford is captured in order to release the seal protecting Jubir’s Drum. Wanda fights back and is determined to save her father. If Boone decides to come to Talford’s aid, Wanda is saved by the White Lions and her childhood friend, Wise, and they team up to rescue Lord Talford and stop the coronation ceremony. Wanda assures her new allies that she is someone they can count on in battle, and she will prove that her noble status and partial blindness will not be a burden.

Wanda joins the White Lions in a battle at Jubir’s Terrace against Astoria, the soon to be queen, to save her father. She is ultimately successful and reconciles with her father. To Wanda’s surprise, Lord Talford allows Wanda to ride with the White Lions, because he knows that is what she wants to do in her heart.

Appearance:

Wanda has long red hair that goes down to the middle of her chest. She is blind in her right eye, which is not noticeable in her in-game portrait but can be artistically represented in Wanda’s artwork. Wanda wears white armor over a pink undershirt. Her white armor has a light gold trim on the shoulder pads and chest plate.

Growth Rates:

HP Pow Skl Spe Lck Def Res
70% 30% 35% 55% 45% 50% 35%

Unit Analysis:

Wanda has a very high total growth rate that focuses in Speed, Luck, and Defense as well as having great HP and Res. This gives her the most potential to be the bulkiest of all the cavalier options in the game; however, Wanda has very weak growths in both Power and Skill, which will start to show later in the game as enemies begin to show more bulk.

Wanda’s promotion options are Silver Paladin and Templar. The Silver Paladin class overs Wanda access to bows, which gives her more offensive options later in the game to help deal with fliers or indirectly attacks. Templar gives Wanda the ability to play the role of a backup healer and is overall the superior choice for Wanda, because Wanda will likely not be a reliable unit to one-round enemies later on in the game.

Wanda’s bases and growths will likely see her have a strange trajectory during the course of the game. In her earlier maps, Wanda will fill the role of an offensive lance cavalier that is capable of dispatching enemies and holding choke points reliably. Later in the game, Wanda will do well against enemies with weaker defense, like mages, and can also serve as a bulky support unit or rescuer.

Overall, Wanda is a good candidate for teams looking for a mounted units with prospect of transitioning toward a support role later in the game. Additionally, Wanda can be used to play the same role as an armored unit but with superior mobility, avoid, and resistance, while giving up a little defense and power. This makes Wanda a great unit for baiting enemies on the enemy phase and allowing her stronger allies to clean up on the player phase. Wanda also joins at the time in the game where deployment slots begin to become very competitive. To Wanda’s benefit, the maps followed her recruitment can benefit from units with high mobility – especially Chapter 19, and this can secure her deployment and spot on a team. Wanda’s value in battle will likely hit a wall when it comes to her damage output later on in the game, and she unfortunately has limited options for patching it up aside from a support partner and the coveted energy rings. Then again, any unit can become the best unit after dumping every stat booster obtained.

Support Options:

Wanda’s affinity is Dark, which unfortunately does not provide her with any additional power or defensive boost. The boosts to hit rate, critical hit rate, avoid, and critical avoid are always appreciated and enjoyed by Wanda and some of her support partners.

• Wise - Fire
  • Vergil - Wind
  • Ariel - Light
  • Saoirse - Wind
  • Shane - Wind

Ariel is a relatively new support option for Wanda, but it happens to be her best and also mutually beneficial for Ariel. Light provides boosts to both Power and Defense, which will further improve Wanda’s ability to tank on enemy phase, while also contributing some to her offense. Ariel’s Light affinity is Wanda’s only support option for boosting her Defense too. In addition, Light will also provide max bonus to Wanda’s hit rate, which is greatly appreciated given her low Skill.

Fire affinity is a great option for Wanda as it provides additional Power, and max bonuses to hit rate, avoid, and critical hit. Wise unfortunately prefers supports that will boost his Power, but he does still enjoy the other bonuses that the Dark affinity provides.

Wanda’s last support option is Wind, and while the worst for Wanda, it is not at all bad as Wind provides bonuses to Power, and grants max hit rate and critical hit rate, which are very appreciated. Vergil can be a great pairing for Wanda if using both mounted units, and Vergil does appreciate the bonuses from the Dark affinity. Saoirse too can be a great support pairing with Wanda; however, Saoirse has many more options than Vergil to consider; still, Dark affinity bonuses will work well for her. Lastly, Because of Shane’s late join time, he will appreciate any support option made available to him, and Wanda happens to be one of his better options.

Popularity Poll:
I intend to continue doing character spotlights each month at least for the remainder of 2021. I will also factor characters that are discussed in posts often in addition to the poll. Vote for your favorite characters and tell me why you like them, or feel free to request any too.

11 Likes

Haha, ain’t that the truth :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks so much for covering Wanda, it’s awesome to see. For anyone that may still be holding off on playing this game, I encourage you to bump it up on your list. As was mentioned, I did a Let’s Play on The Lonely Mirror, and it managed to become my favorite Fire Emblem game outright, to the point that I’ve played a very large amount more off camera.

As it pertains to Wanda, I think that all points were touched upon properly - and I was very happy to see the particular line:

Almost in a casual, underappreciated manner, this game kills the character balance game, and Wanda is no exception. Well, perhaps she’s exceptional in how much fun she is.

She’s got great Speed, high Defense and HP, and very acceptable Res. With her 10 Con, mount, and ability to use Staves or Bows (both of which you’ll quickly find to be some of the most important weapon types in the game), she’s what I’d consider to be one of the better units. Mind, the favoritism is strong here. Her Con is truly spot on, even with the boost from promotion - she’s not weighed down in a significant manner by many of the weapons she would use due to her high speed, and she’s able to rescue a very large majority of your cast - just short of one promoted chonker by the name of Silvan :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ve found that she becomes a bit of a speed demon dodge tank through her stats and supports, and with her defenses lying where they are, she’s not getting murdered upon being hit - quite far from it. The ‘Armor Knight on a Horse’ vibe is there, no doubt about it. I will say that her Strength and Skill will absolutely be what stops her in her tracks if anything does, and that is largely why I will agree that Templar is the superior promotion path, as staves require neither of those stats. Don’t let that take away from the fact that Bows are impeccably done, and that she will absolutely not feel bad about taking them should you prefer that class.

Now, imagine all of this… with those coveted Energy Rings and Rob Books- er, Secret Books :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Or, y’know, some lucky levels :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have yet to try it, but I’m very eager in my next run to try for the Wanda/Vergil/Travis/Ariel square. We’ll have full weapon triangle, bows, magic, and healing, all on top of units that boost each others’ capabilities nearly sky-high. Not to mention all of those units being mounted! I’ll note that all of that group but Ariel could likely be considered middling-strength units on their own, and this really does boost them up considerably.

There’s also the fun that would come with her supporting both Wise and Shane, for a full crit build between the three of them. Saoirse, I’ve found, also benefits a lot from the Wanda support - and now that can be made a very robust triangle with Ariel. There are no losers when Wanda’s involved :]

Before I put a bit of a close on this textwall, I’ll say that I think Wanda’s character is quite well done. She’s not overly complex, and that’s perfectly fine. She accomplishes her role very well overall. She’s a noble that wants to be her own person, and she’s held back by her father and her partial blindness. She plays the role of the princess that just wants to be treated like everyone else quite well. She’s also got quite the beautiful in-game portrait and art here, I will say :stuck_out_tongue:

In summation: Wanda good, Wanda based, we like Wanda in this house, and we want the best for Wanda :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Mine had 12 strength at level 15/1

I think I missed the joke somewhere… why do you call Secret Books Rob Books? Has he got low skill? Or is it because he wants to be a writer?

I haven’t used him much so maybe I just have to to figure out this mystery

After beating the game today in hard, i just have to say that it is one of my favorite rom hacks. I would want to provide meaningful feedback but i’ll wait until i finish maddening. Either way, it was a pretty fun experience, the gameplay was really nice and the story was interesting from start to finish.

2 Likes

Hey uhhhhh Gaiden chapter requirements?

Thank you, @EmanuelDryndak. Happy that you had fun and enjoyed the gameplay and story. I am curious about your impression on Maddening. There are some tough moments, but because you have gone through Hard, you won’t be caught off guard on most the maps. Good luck. :grin:

1 Like

@jpragata: There are two Gaiden maps right now. The best way to find them is to follow the recruitment guide for recruiting Danika and Mercer. I have included the details below too.

Unlock Chapter 17x on Maddening

Enter one of the ruined houses with Caspian on Chapter 11. This will trigger an event on Chapter 15 after seizing the gate. Use Caspian, Travis, or Winifred to speak with Tynan. This will lead to another encounter with Tynan on Chapter 17. Again, speak to Tynan with Caspian, Travis, or Winifred. After the map, see the scene and choose to trigger Chapter 17x by siding with the character who initiated conversation with Tynan.

Unlock Chapter 18x on Maddening

Refusing the item from Mercer on Chapter 9 or Chapter 15 will automatically trigger 18x.

Option 1: On Chapter 9, visit the southern house with Boone, Caspian, Travis, or Winifred. Choose to not buy the item from Mercer. This will automatically unlock Chapter 18x.

Option 2: Choose to purchase the item from Mercer on Chapter 9. Find Mercer again on Chapter 15 in the rightmost red house. Enter with Boone, Ariel, Myles, Capsian, Winifred, Travis, or Saoirse, and refuse the item. This will automatically unlock Chapter 18x.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Character Spotlight: Amanda

October is all about the scares, so this month’s spotlight will be all about Judge Amanda. Amanda scored very high on the popularity poll too, and she is both a playable character and a major villain representation.

Background:

Judge Amanda is the leader of Rosenna, which is considered the wealthiest and strongest state in the Jacotta Republic in thanks to Amanda ruling her state with an iron fist. However, some of the other states in the Jacotta Republic believe the only reason that Rosenna is successful is because they are in possession of one of the Sacred Instruments, Kuro’s Horn.

As Judge Amanda’s influence and tyrannical rule begins to spread into the other Jacotta states, tensions escalate when three senators initiate a rebellion to take down Rosenna and obtain control of Kuro’s Horn.

Judge Amanda is disinterested in the internal act of aggression against her and Rosenna, because she feels the other states are inefficient, irrelevant, and sacrificial fodder that will ultimately give her more power. Instead, Judge Amanda’s main concern is to find a husband worthy of her perfection. She desires a high-quality husband that thinks, believes and does everything Amanda’s way. Amanda’s objective created good relations with Celyste, because of their incentives – King Caden wanted to protect Kuro’s Horn, and Judge Amanda wants a worthy suitor.

Judge Amanda’s decides to both test the White Lions and eliminate any opposition against her by manipulating a battle at Rosenna Cathedral for Kuro’s Horn. When the White Lions are victorious, they confront her at her manor and battle for Kuro’s Horn. Judge Amanda ultimately loses the battle and custody of Kuro’s Horn. She is left angered and frustrated by not having a husband or her wedding present to her husband.

Judge Amanda chases after the White Lions and for retribution, and if the right condition is met, she decides to join their cause in the hope of spending time with the men. Even though she joins the White Lions’ cause, she still requires things to go her way and will never apologize.

Appearance:

Judge Amanda is a heavier woman with dark, medium-length hair. Amanda wears heavy armor that is all pink with a gold trim accent. She also wears a pinkish-gray undershirt below her armor. Judge Amanda is usually angered and frustrated in most of her interaction, and rarely smiles unless she is talking about being with a man.

Growth Rates:

HP Pow Skl Spe Lck Def Res
85% 35% 30% 05% 65% 40% 25%

Unit Analysis:

Judge Amanda joins as a promoted unit with very high stats in HP, Power, Defense, Resistance, and Luck. Amanda also has passible Skill to connect with most of her attacked. Her only real weak stat is Speed, which is entirely unsalvageable with a base of 2 and only a 5% growth rate. Judge Amanda will never be double attacking any enemy and will find herself being double attacked by virtually anything in the game – including meteor tome mages. Amanda only has six levels to gain stats with not many levels left in the game, so any additional stat she gains is a nice bonus, but it will not be changing her role on the team. Expect her to level well in HP, Defense, and Luck.

Amanda comes with the unique Judge class, which gives her access to swords, staves, and axes, which are already at S rank. The Judge class functions the same as other armored classes, so Amanda can perform well as a chokepoint holder. Even though, Amanda can withstand double attacks from physical and magical strikes with relative ease, she cannot face too many consecutive attacks on enemy phase as they will eventually kill her.

The biggest downside to Judge Amanda is that she is the most difficult character in the game to recruit as it requires deploying a team of only male characters. The complete hassle to recruit her may not warrant the payout of her joining for most teams.

Overall, Amanda is a good addition an endgame team in need of an additional healer or an enemy bait unit. Defensively is where Amanda shine; her defensive base stats are so high that Judge Amanda can safely have battle with at least one enemy per enemy phase and survive, and this includes two meteors. Additionally, Judge Amanda’s high base power of 25 and access to staves can allow her to be an amazing support unit with rescues and physics after achieving one staff rank increase. Amanda’s unfortunate speed stat will hinder her offensively as she is incapable of killing most units with a single strike. She can still be used to help set up kills for other units or take out weakened enemies reliably.

Support Options:

Amanda’s affinity is Anima, which provides pretty nice boosts for her as Amanda will appreciate any additional power or defense to help her stay alive and do more damage with her one attack. Even though Amanda has a very late join time, all of her support options also join very late too, so she might not need to fight as much for a support option. All of Amanda’s support pairings could make sense in the right context.

• Caden - Thunder
  • Shane - Wind
  • Faith - Light
  • Ozias - Fire
  • Lionel - Fire

Faith’s light affinity boosts Amanda’s power, hit, and critical hit rate, which are the most important bonuses for Amanda to ensure her target is dead with one blow. The light and anima affinity provides max bonus to power and defense, which are mutually beneficial for Amanda and Faith. The only major downside is that Faith may not be hanging around Amanda on the battlefield due to their very different movement and roles on a team, and if Faith is used, Joseph or Kurtis might ultimately make more sense.

Fire affinity is also a great option for Amanda as it also improves power, hit, and critical hit rate. Ozias also joins around the same time as Amanda, so he might also be looking for support options if he is used. Lionel makes a great support option for Amanda, and their pairing is mutually beneficial. Amanda’s anima affinity helps to patch up Lionel’s poor dodge due to his bad luck. Additionally, Lionel will be starved for supports by the time he is available. The only downside to Lionel is that he is only available for three maps, and he would be reaching A support with Amanda on the last chapter of the game.

Wind affinity is a really good option for Amanda and it also improves power, hit, and critical hit rate. Shane joins on the same map as Amanda, so their pairing makes a lot of sense if both units will continue in the party. The Shane and Amanda support pairing has a similar problem as Faith and Amanda in that their roles on the battlefield are very different, so they will ultimately not be seeing too much of each other

A Thunder affinity support with Caden might be Amanda’s worst option. This is not due to the bonuses, as Thunder is going to be the best option for a defensive Amanda, which can be especially nice if Amanda takes on the role as a healer. Caden has the earliest join time out of all of Amanda’s options, and if Caden is taking an active role on a team, it might be unlikely for him to have a support option available. If Caden is available, this support can be greatly helpful.

Popularity Poll:
My current plan is to have 5 more character spotlights. I pretty much have already decided on the final lineup based on requests and the popularity poll, but it could change. Vote for your favorite characters and tell me why you like them, or feel free to request any too.

7 Likes

So, where is the download link?

Fire Emblem The Lonely Mirror

Here you go ^

1 Like

I took the download link down at the beginning of this week in preparation for a major update that is coming soon. The link will be be re-added real soon.

The new update will not be compatible with existing playthroughs, so I didn’t want people to begin a new game right now. It will be better to wait a week. You can certainly use the link provided by @AtomicBanjo to check out the game now if you’d like.

8 Likes

I hadn’t even noticed that we got official artwork of Amanda a week back. That’s amazing, I love it.

And a big update, you say? I’ll be keeping an eye on it. I quite enjoyed this game back when I first played it, even though I missed both gaidens and I did have some problems with the difficulty in a couple places. Might be up for a replay, depending on the content of this update.

Kurtis spotlight when, I want that beard in HD, c’mon everyone help here out here, vote for Kurtis now

1 Like

A major update you say? Guess I will keep a look out on that.

Already available

But waiting is advised due to it being an early release