Fire Emblem: The Lonely Mirror (Full Game - FE8 ROM Hack)

I really enjoy your perspective @TheAnyel, because you seem to play Fire Emblem games very different that me.

I have never had too much of a problem with Ch23 depleting my inventory because I typically try to rush clear this map. However, I do understand how this can happen if your goal is to grab all the treasure and level up as much as possible.

My intention with the three spawn loop was to signify to the player to finish up the chapter as story wise, I wanted to put pressure on the player. I do understand your sentiment about wanting to receive experience here, and I am inclined to agree with you. Getting 0 exp does feel lame; it does suck to waste weapons when you get nothing. I wonder if there is a way to offer reduced exp after a certain turn. That might be a happy balance as I don’t like when Fire Emblem games present you with grinding opportunity. I will think on this.

This feels kind of low for number of promoted units at this point in the game. Do you try to keep everyone around the same level? I am assuming you made Queenie into an Oracle because you mentioned Lael as your only healer.

1 Like

About the 0 exp thing… maybe you can spawn the same enemies, but from certain turn you just lower their level while keeping their attributes the same? Isn’t the amount of exp gained tied to the level of the enemy defeated? That way you’d be able to spawn the exact same enemies but the experience gained by killing them would be reduced. Maybe I am mistaken with this idea, I don’t know XD.

Yes, I try to keep everyone at the same level, and I also level them up to 20 vefore promoting them. At that point my promoted units were those I mentioned before (Queenie as an Oracle, yes) and Kathryn, Grant, Ariel and Wyatt. I didn’t use any of them because I had already completed their supports and I needed to level uo some other characters (in regards to exp and support level). I realized too late I only had Lael as healer, but I didn’t wan’t to to through it again.

Anyway, in chapter 24 I had to sell all the attribute increase items I was saving (I usually save them until the last 3 chapters. Selling those and some expensive items (like the Brave Lance provided in the house in that chapter, or the Elixirs I had to steal from the enemies) allowed me to get around 13 Master Seals (Silver Card helped a lot). I promoted all the units I was using on that chapter (Vergil, Atticus, Travis, Joseph, Rob, Silvan, Eamon, Tanya and Kurtis. They were already level 20 or reached it here). After that, I promoted Liang too, who was also level 20.

By now, I only need to promote Brett, Faith, Roxie, Caspian, Winifred, Helga, Benji, Saoirse, Wise (all of them close to level 20), Caden (level 20 already), Lael (who I think promotes on its own like Boone and Leah) and Parvati and Noelle (and I think neither if them can promote). That would be a total of 10 Master Seals, and I have 8 in my supply, plus another one available by killing one enemy in chapter 25. It looks to me like promoting every unit in the game is possible, despite me thinking otherwise in the past. It’s really hard, but it looks like can be done, so I applaud you for that.

Now, about chapter 24. I don’t think I like the enemies spawning from the forts when you cross certain point in the map. It makes it look empty in the beggining, when storywise there is an attack against Amanda happening. I’d deploy more enemies from the start and then I’d spawn them as reinforcements after your own units have crossed a point in the map (that point in the map would not be before the forts, but after, so you get the feeling that reinforcement were sent after your units and deployed on your back). I hope I’m explaining myself. As always, just a suggestion.

Another thing in that chapter. I think the Silver Card should not affect the cost of the growth improving item. I think it is too good, and since I was able to get 13 Master Seals, someone else could prioritize that item and completely destroy the balance of the rest of the game.

And last thing. The sage who drops the Master Seal in that chapter… Man, I had to run to kill him, because he was going to either kill Amanda or he was going to get killed by her and making me lose that Master Seal.

2 Likes

Congratulations for making a full FE game! I really like the story and memorable characters! Amanda is my spirit animal lol

2 Likes

This is actually a decent way to handle this. Honestly it would be the simplest solution even if it may not be perfect. I will play around with this idea.

That is pretty cool that you are actually promoting all characters in one play through. I am quite curious who are your stand out characters and who are not ending up that great. It’s rare to have everyone around the same level and looking at average stats can only tell me so much.

Also, Parvati can promote, so you may need another Master Seal. I believe you get another one on Ch25.

You are full of great ideas today, @TheAnyel. I think this could be a really great change to the map and may make it flow a little better. I will look into this too.

The wind sage on Ch24 is definitely the most difficult enemy on that map. Having a good res tank to draw him early is usually the best way to handle it. Queenie or Liang are probably the best for the job.

1 Like

Thank you, @Arvaxhi! It still feels a little unreal to me that I made a full game. It was an insane amount of work for a “solo” project. I did have some help on many support conversations and a couple art pieces.

I am happy you enjoy the story and characters! Amanda is awesome; though, it is tough for me to choose a favorite character. There is a certain fun factor to recruiting Amanda, and it feels great to use her. There is a certain joy in watching her get doubled by a meteor and survive!

I will have something fun related to a “certain character” in The Lonely Mirror for tomorrow!

3 Likes

Character Spotlight: Joseph

Congratulations to Joseph who has placed first in the character popularity poll and narrowly defeated Myles.

Background:
Joseph is second in line to the throne of Celyste behind his brother, Caden. He is shown to value his family and Celyste above all else. His pride for Celyste causes him to openly criticize other nations – particularly Ametona – on their disappointing military and nonsense decision making.

During the Celyste-Ametona War, Joseph is very calculating in his plan to take down Devante by leveraging Ametona. After the war, Joseph is shown to have a lot more confident in his strength and is determined to restore his father and his country. He relies less on calculated tactics and tends to favor headstrong, aggressive measures.

Joseph has a difficult time making friends with his companions due to his reserved and intense nature, and most believe him to be intimidating. Additionally, he has a difficult time trusting people and is the first to question Queenie’s intention for joining the group. Despite his image, Joseph shows great compassion and understanding to those he lets in.

Joseph gradually begins to open up to Boone over the course of the journey and while he occasionally disagrees with Boone’s decisions, he respects Boone’s will to do the right thing.

Joseph immediately respects Myles’ for standing alongside him to save Municro and considers Myles his real first friend. Joseph also sees through Wise’s outward persona and understands and relates to the pressure he must feel to live in his brother’s shadow.

Appearance:
Joseph’s color scheme is mint green and purple. After the time skip, he wears a beard like most men from Celyste as a coming-of-age tradition.

Growth Rates:

HP Pow Skl Spe Lck Def Res
55% 45% 40% 55% 55% 30% 40%

Unit Analysis:
Thanks to solid stat growth in Speed and Luck, Joseph will be double attacking often and able to deal good damage with his decent power growth. He is also able to exploit super effective damage from wind tomes to easily deal with thunder mages and Pegasus units. Joseph is a solid candidate for the Energy Ring found on Ch10 to boost his offensive capability further. While Joseph’s Skill growth is below average, his accuracy is not usually a problem due to the reliable hit rate on wind tomes.

Even though Joseph’s class options are relatively squishy, and the dark griffin class must strategically play around the super effective bows and fire magic, the combination of Speed and Luck gives Joseph high avoid, which can allow him to escape harm during enemy phase. Joseph also possesses solid growths in Res and a surprisingly decent Defense growth for a mage to allow him to tank most magic users and survive a hit from physical weapons. Even still, Joseph possesses low HP and a low HP growth and therefore should be placed carefully.

Overall, Joseph is the only wind magic user in the game (not counting specific promotion options), has great availability, and fantastic promotion options to work great on any team. With proper investment, you can expect him to be a dependable magic unit on any chapter he is available. Having access to Forseti and a flying class gives him a reliable offensive range greater than any character in the game.

Support Options:
Joseph’s affinity is Wind; hence his ability to excel with wind magic and has the following support options:

• Caden - Thunder
  • Myles - Fire
  • Wise - Fire
  • Queenie - Dark
  • Shiloh - Light
  • Faith - Light
  • Tanya - Thunder

Joseph really appreciates supports that provide extra damage output to offset the chance of not leveling in Power. Fire and Light support bonuses work best with Joseph’s growth and role on team.

Wise appreciates the wind affinity bonuses and is able to keep up with Joseph if he is promoted to dark griffin. Myles is a great support option if Joseph promotes to a wind sage to provide both offense and healing.

Faith or Shiloh can also be good support options for Joseph to focus on defense rather than avoid. Like Wise, Faith will have the ability to keep up with Joseph if he promotes to dark griffon.

Popularity Poll:
I intend to continue doing character spotlights for a while on a monthly cadence depending on the character’s popularity. Can Myles even be beat right now? Vote for your favorites and tell me why you like them.

11 Likes

Just finished the maddening mode which was justifiably very very very hard…even tho there were certain chapters that brought me despair multiple times i really enjoyed the game…its been long since i had so much hardship in a fe game…really liked the story…the maps n the mugs…everything was excellent…it took my some days to finish it with all the despairing in between so i ve forgotten by now some things i wanted to mention on certain chapters…so all in all great work, looking forward to playing the most refined state of the game once you are done with it…keep up the good work!

2 Likes

First post here but I just finished the hack and wanted to give some thoughts! I got super into rom hacks during lockdown 2.0 in Toronto because, well, looking for new things to try.

Overall, I really enjoyed the hack. The overall story motif has overall been done before, but I feel with the mixed motives/grey morals of the Proclaimers made it feel fresh. I also really enjoyed the fact that unlike most regular Fire Emblems, all the characters aren’t in agreement on the best course of action, or who’s in the wrong and in the right. I didn’t end up using Queenie, but I wish during the main game we saw a little more interaction between her and Joseph, Myles, and Leah; perhaps it’s seen in her supports but I think Joseph questioning her actions and motives could’ve been seen more. The Proclaimers heel turn into quasi-“good guys” also felt perhaps a little rushed - especially Devante.

I liked the dialogue but I did find that there was an overabundance of stuttering used, the “I-I don’t know what to do!” I understand it shows hesitancy, but it feels like every character does it all the time, I noticed it at first during chapter 18 where the queen (whose name escapes me) does it like three lines in a row.

As for the characters themselves: my favourite is Amanda, hands down. We stan a thirsty queen. She’s actually a sociopath. Joseph, Myles, and Ariel were also standouts for me story wise. I wish Leah saw a little more involvement post-time skip because I really liked her drive in the first part and she felt more like a tag-along post-time skip but I still enjoyed her arc.

In terms of visuals, major kudos to you for developing two portraits for like every character. I’m digging all the beards. I think you could do a bearded-run which would be interesting. The only mug that felt out of place is Lael post-time skip; she still looks like she’s 5, I dunno.

Gameplay wise I played on hard mode and felt it had a pretty good difficulty curve and for the most part felt hard, but fair; meaning if you just rush in you’re gonna die pretty fast, so if you’re not careful and thinking ahead you’re gonna have a rough time. I really enjoyed chapters 16, 18, 19 and pretty much the whole end game after Lael promotes.

That being said, I felt there were 3 chapters in particular that were unfairly difficult and essentially subject to RNG, those being Prelude 3, Chapter 23, and Chapter 26.

Prelude 3: Trying to get both the body ring and the jail is incredibly tight timing wise and essentially forces you to split up Joseph and Myles. If you’re like me as well, Myles has to rely on getting the Wa Dao from that random myrm because he’s running incredibly low on available weapons. You essentially are forced to put Myles in dangerous range of several myrms, and someone with a killer bow in the hopes that he dodges some hits so he can get the body ring. Furthermore, there’s a lot of choke points but frankly the characters you get this chapter aren’t exactly tanks minus Vergil who’s decent but also has axes and so has to be wary of being doubled easily. Faith is almost a handicap because she’s so fragile. And perhaps my Travis turned out poor but the dude was doing like no damage and doubled nothing. You’re essentially relying on the thieves that are released to be dodge tanks for you so the enemy is distracted so you can place yourself better and escape, but you still have to take out some enemies or you’re going to get overwhelmed very fast. In several of my attempts the thieves died within the first 2 turns of being released which pretty much signaled a no win scenario. You almost have to be aggressive against the boss on the right because if you try to run to the left without choking you end up in the middle of the field with reinforcements coming from below and the boss on the right so one of your characters will die. I had to replay this chapter a bunch of times in the hopes that Myles would dodge effectively and not get crit by the random killer bow, and for the thieves to play nicely and dodge and hopefully block up some space. It just felt way too RNG heavy.

Chapter 23: Perhaps I have bad luck but Edith died twice down there solo. From my understanding, if characters other than Boone or Lael entered within a certain range they’d become berserk, so I don’t think I could’ve even gotten there in time. Like I said, maybe just some bad luck, but the fact that it can happen is frankly annoying because you don’t really have much to any control of it as a player. I also had Pepper join this chapter who is a godsend but I think if she weren’t there I would’ve struggled a helluva lot more. You can’t really rush down to Edith because the reinforcements are so many, and many of them have much better movement than your units that you often get “trapped” for several turns in the same areas because you have to defeat the onslaught so you don’t get picked off on enemy phase. I loved the concept of this chapter but I think even just slightly fewer enemy reinforcements would still keep the difficult alive without it being frustrating. Also, Faith is just kind of a liability in hard mode. She had 19 hp in my game and essentially died to literally everything. Trying to keep her alive was a challenge in itself. It’s why I’m Team Helga because she’s anti-Faith.

Chapter 26: Similar problem to Edith, Ozias regularly died for me on turns 3-5, which makes rushing to get him time wise very very tight. I also wanted to recruit Amanda and so I used only dudes, the only male healer is Shiloh, who some players might not even get. My Shiloh didn’t have the weapon rank to use psychic so that wasn’t really an option to heal him. I had to kind of hope that my characters dodged the mages and archers around the door so I could push through on time. I also have issues with the bolting user in the top left. I love the concept of Amanda chasing you down, and I feel like in order to actually push through to the throne the intention is to have one small squad kind of lead her on a loop-de-loop around the map, while the other squad pushes through the enemies. I feel like due to the starting placement and time wise you essentially have to loop her around the left side, but the bolting dude literally has range of like half the map, and because there’s enough reinforcements that you have to clear through, your characters are likely gonna be at least slightly damaged. It just makes them easy pickings for the bolting man, so, if you’re like me, you cleared him out first turn he arrives. But there’s the troubadour with the sleep staff and Amanda approaching that can really screw you over. But you kind of have to take him out or there’s a strong chance he’ll kill one of yours. I liked the menacing presence of Amanda chasing you but man this map felt just unfairly difficult in terms of the early portion, you essentially have to split your army in three from the get go: one to get the treasure in the upper left and take care of bolting man, one to defend/take out the cavalry from the south, and one to push through to save Ozias. Trying to save Ozias in time in hard mode just had me hoping that he dodged a hit or two so I could get to him in time and I don’t know if there’s a way I could have reached him faster.

Sorry for the essay! I really liked the hack and wish you luck on polishing up the final details. : )

2 Likes

Happy that you had a fun time with the maddening difficulty, @Rigas. There are certainly some chapters that can destroy you if you don’t have a solid team of characters. I am working on refining some of the enemy placements and reinforcements, so in a future iteration enemies will not feel as bulky near the end.

2 Likes

Happy for the essay, @Minnnt. You have a lot of great insight.

Happy you liked the portraits. :smile: I am actually still doing some refining on them. I am color blind, so pixel art can be tricky. Also, I really want to do a bearded-run or someone else to do it. If someone does this, let me know how it goes. Legal characters include: Vergil, Boone, Caspian, Myles, Joseph, Caden, Rob, Silvan, Riley, Wise, Kurtis, Tarin, and Lionel. Good luck!! :wink:

Prelude 3: I agree with you that Prelude 3 can be a little RNG heavy, and based on what happens with the green units can really change the dynamic of this map. I find to really prevent the RNG factor, you might have to forgo grabbing the body ring with Myles and take a defensive stance - especially if your Myles didn’t gain levels on Prelude 2. In any case, I acknowledge that this particular map is a not for everyone, and it does feel a little unfair in some ways. Though that is the feeling I want for a map titled “To Conquer Death.” In any case, this map is quite exciting on future play throughs. It is alway wild!

Chapter 23: I noticed Edith can get really unlucky and die early, but I have only seen it happen once to me. Still, I know this is possible. I think I will tone down the enemies near her to prevent this from happening. Yes, Faith can indeed be a liability on this map, but she can also be an asset. It depends on how much she is leveled in part 1. Her HP is always going to be not so great though… I am actually doing some work on this chapter and will be reducing the number of reinforcements on this map. Hopefully it won’t feel as much of a grind next time.

Chapter 26: One of the reasons I added Shiloh into the game was to provide a character that could make Amanda easier to recruit. That being said, Amanda is supposed to be a challenging character to recruit, and as a reward, you get Amanda! If you get Riley instead of Shiloh, Amanda will be harder to recruit, but not impossible. Side note: I will say that Shiloh is really, really great should you use him. His HP growth is the best in the game, and he can destroy monsters with seraphim at the end after promotion. I hope more people will try him out. Also, I am happy you like Amanda. I find her to be a very fun character to write and a fun unit to use.

Overall, I do agree with you that Chapter 26 could use some work. Ozias is incredibly difficult to recruit, and he really isn’t that great of a unit, at least, in my opinion. I actually buffed him in the previous version, but I might need to buff him again.

1 Like

Yesterday I completed the December version and let me tell you congratulations on having made such a well-made and entertaining game, it took 48 hours to complete it and it was worth it.
Now I will tell my experience and opinion about the game: I must clarify that I have only played the Hard version in both versions (beta and full) so I still do not know if it is different in other difficulties so I will only say my opinion regarding that mode.
It was very difficult to play a defensive game when I am an offensive person so it was interesting to change my strategy to try to keep all the units alive that I could.
Chapter 14B was quite complicated by the mage with bolting, not even Liang with pure water could bear a critic, I had to repeat the chapter several times not to lose anyone until I had no choice but to sacrifice Riley to pass the level, I would recommend lowering a few points of attack so that it cannot kill with a critical the whole life of a unit with pure water because no matter how many times it was repeated it always get a critical.
Chapter 16 was very innovative and it was quite entertaining to save the units one by one and you get good weapons.
Chapter 17B: The first time I played it I restart about 10 times by the enemy that came out in the boss room that was much stronger than the boss so if I didn’t use Myles with his lancebreaker, I lost a unit, but this time It was easier although it is possibly because i already passed it, so my only recommendation is to reduce his speed so that he does not double almost any unit, preparing a strategy against him always takes away the opportunity to open the chests of that chapter.
Chapter 19: This chapter was much more difficult for me than the first time being quite ironic since I had better trained the characters that appear in that chapter to make it easier but it was not enough so I had to restart several times until it was a matter of luck pass it, raising the statistics a little to the green units so that they do not die so easy would be a factor that would help a lot or at least give an elixir to the green unit that it only so that it resists the spider because it cannot against it and is very hard to get to him to protect him.
Chapter 23: I have seen that several have comments regarding this chapter saying that its difficulty is high and I would have agreed with them in the beta version but in this version it took me around 8 or 7 turns to reach Edith being the fastest chapter I have finished, what happened is that it was very difficult the first time because I divided my units into 3 groups so that they could defeat all the strong monsters but this time I wanted to finish that chapter as quickly as possible so I made all my units go in the middle creating a shield for Lael and Fate, I also made my weaker units cover the houses so that no monsters come out and by the time I realized I had Boone, Queenie and Lael at the end of the map so the rest was easy. It was the only map where an offensive strategy worked the first time
Chapter 26: The first time I could not recruit Amanda because I would never have thought of her only method to recruit her xD, so this time I wanted to do it despite the complexity of the chapter but it was curious that even with fewer characters than the first time, it was much more easy, I think what had made it difficult were the enemies that used runes but this time Myles could against them. (A curious fact is that the first time I faced Amanda, I saw that no one could harm her and I was beginning to worry because if he approached a unit I would kill him, until by ACCIDENT I made Boone use the Onouris against her, I thought I was going to die until I saw Boone beat her with a critic, I felt a real relief XD)
Chapter 27: In this chapter it is just as complicated as in the previous version by the mage with the meteorite and the 3 well-placed champions, I do not say it for my characters, I say it for Shane, he literally comes to die, if the magician does not kill him, he dies by the archers that he himself goes to, it is a matter of luck to be able to recruit him or not, for the rest of the chapter it was satisfactorily difficult for me that is perfect.
Chapter 29: It was quite complicated by the evolved enemies besides that I did not put any flying units (not even wise), which made it even more difficult for me to take care of the ship, a recommendation would be to increase the defense of the ship to worry more about saving my characters or that the Queen can heal the ship instead of my units, I repeated the map several times and at no time did she heal the ship which would have helped a lot.
Chapter 30: The first map of the full version and it did not disappoint, I had to do an offensive-defensive combination plus Amanda in order to survive although what I did not like was the excessive amount of enemies because I ran out of enough weapons and I knew that I was not finished yet.
Chapter 31: The most difficult chapter in the whole game, reinforcements everywhere and each stronger and with tired units and few weapons, plus the only ones who can get close to Devante are the strongest so they are busy protecting others, I lost The count of how many times I restarted this chapter, it is good that the game looks for a high level of difficulty using defensive strategies but in this chapter you cannot go on the defensive because enemies come from all sides and you cannot go on the offensive for so many units with high statistics, what could help at that level is to reduce the amount or the statistics of the enemies because the previous 2 chapters end up many weapons and in this one you depend on doing a lot of damage to make way for Devante, regarding Devante , He is an opponent worthy of being a boss besides that I agree with what the characters say, he had to be the villain to save the world, he is the greatest hero in history that by his actions he will never be recognized as a hero, but I made sure that he died a dignified death at the hands of Joseph and saw his loved ones one last time. (in addition to giving Joseph the revenge that he deserves xD).
Final Chapter: That chapter was easy, the enemies were arranged to be defeated one by one and there were few reinforcements and if my units ended up wounded I used the staff that healed everything or Edith with Fortify, regarding Dracbolla, worthy of being the final boss, I liked the bestial defense that he possessed, even that the sacred weapons made him less than 10 points, not like in other games that “The God the supreme darkness that no army could defeat” …
He was defeated by 2 blows, in addition to the fact that the desire to defeat him with he was healed, in how many his reinforcements it was better to directly kill them for the units that could heal him, removing them, you prevented him from healing a lot, in the end it was Joseph who gave him the final blow in addition to being the only one that did double attack, it was the only one that did more than 20 points of damage and after a commemorative final scene, I finished the game.
PD: I got the end of Leah and Caden, I am very sad because they could not end together, they sincerely loved each other, they should be together but I understand the reasons why they separated, although I just do not accept it, their conversations were very nice how to end it like this, If they loved each other this strong, they had to fight for their love and with their example make both kingdoms reach an era of peace although we all know that it would not be done overnight, of course saying it is easier than doing it, still so that ending hurts, but it was something that had to happen.
I will give other opinions at other times so this message is not so long xd
I wanted to give feedback on the chapters first.
And again, congratulations for making a game of this caliber on your own, people like you are the motivation for others to dare to make their own games and make others enjoy them (even I want to do a hackroom after play this game)

3 Likes

Something weird happened on Chapter 27.

Joseph has 20 Pow

Joseph Stats

The monk has 20 resistance

Monk Stats

I use Wind which has 4 power and this happens

Battle Info

The maths don’t add up

1 Like

After a quick look in FEBuilder, there looks to be a terrain type called Floor[Heal] in the game that gives 10 res. Maybe those pink tiles are that terrain?

1 Like

That makes sense.

1 Like

Interesting… I have to say, that wasn’t intended for that chapter. I will have to fix that for a patch. Thank you for discovering this, @FE74ever and for the analysis @Lurker245.

1 Like

Happy you finished the game, @keito and I am glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate your detailed comments too. :smile:

14B: Did you keep getting critical hit by the bolting mage or were you not able to survive one hit? This mage can be quite cumbersome to deal with. I will lower his attack a little just to be safe. Poor Riley though.

Ch16: I love chapter 16 and happy you like it too. It’s kind of like a puzzle, but it has a lot of story involvement. This one is actually one of my personal favorite chapters.

Ch17B: This one can certainly be a difficult chapter. I see your recommendation and will lower the boss’s speed by a point or two, so that he does not consistently double units.

Ch19: This chapter can be either very difficult or quite challenging depending on who you deploy. Having fliers or mounted units are the way to go here for the most part. You can let one of the green units die. The top right one can be tough to save.

Ch23: I will be reducing some of the reinforcements on this chapter as well as weakening some of the enemies that start near Edith to prevent her from rng dying early in the chapter.

Ch26: Haha! Onouris is the bane to Amanda’s existence. A hammer works wonders too. That being said, I will be looking at the enemy placements and reinforcements on this chapter, because I think it could flow a little bit better. I find it gets a little too bottlenecked because I lot moves at once.

Ch27: I personally think Ch27 is the hardest in the game. I will usually lose someone on this chapter. Shane does get himself killed really quickly if you aren’t prepared for his arrival. Wise is the best candidate to recruit him. I might tone down the enemies near Shane’s spawn point, but I do like the challenge of the map. It feels epic as the last battle over the sacred instruments.

Ch29: I will see about increasing the ship’s defense a little more. I didn’t think about a situation where the player deployed zero flying units. You would at least have one flier in Lael, but she can only do so much to defend the ship.

Ch30: I agree with you on the reinforcements and will be reducing them. Otherwise, I think this map is pretty fun and does force you to be offensive and defensive at the same time like you said.

Ch31: I still have more trouble with Crossroads for some reason, but I agree this one is difficult. I have already toned down some of the reinforcements on this chapter, so that will help make it less arduous. Nice that you let Joseph do the deed of ending Devante. I would think Joseph could have a tough time fighting Devante, but then again, Joseph is quite capable.

Final: Yes, the final chapter is not too difficult. You can wreck the boss when he appears near a cluster of your units. Having a Wyvern Rider with pierce certainly helps make it easier, or Joseph in your case.

Leah and Caden: I would have loved for Leah and Caden to end up together in their support. They have really great chemistry, but they are bound to lead their own countries. Ametona and Celyste also never had the best history too, so I imagined Leah and Caden would not want to complicate things. Perhaps later on in their lives, things could be different.

Thank you!! That means a lot, because I have seen some really awesome and polished FE rom hacks on here. I did invest crazy amount of time into this game, but it was fun for me. Hope to inspire.

3 Likes

Almost finished the game but my tier list is unlikely to change except for maybe Sterling (I played Hard Mode) , Liang, Caden and Queenie who might move up.

Boone is a juggernaut if he gets good speed and if you give him Boots, he becomes even greater. Give him A support with Silvan and they become the tag team of terror.

Joseph is just awesome, I made him a wind sage and gave him Boots and coupled with Foresti made him so much fun.

Silvan is the best axe user, full stop.

Atticus is more useful that I initially taught. His crazy speed means he rarely gets hit and if you evolve him to a whisper, his movement increases by +2. His strength and skill are good enough and he uses those weapons that are locked to thieves/rogues quite well. Silver Knife is a personal favorite.

Leah is a powerhouse and is good all round. If she gets good Str level ups, then she is almost the best offensive unit. When she evolves she can use magic which compensates for her low strength and she can take on magic or normal units with ease. Pair her with Kathyrn and she becomes even better.

Caspian is great because he can double as an axe user and bow user if you make him a warrior. His growths make him a very viable option for either.

Myles is your typical myrmidon and is very useful. Myles x Lael is the ideal tag team. If Lael didn’t show up so late in the game, I might have used him more.

Wise is the best flyer without a doubt. Just make sure to avoid thunder users and archers. Ideal pair is with Joseph.

Winifred is a good user but seems not as good as Caden but she comes way earlier in the game. Her growths are good all round. Pair with Caspian for a deadly duo from range.

Kathyrn of the best light users but is fragile so she has to be pair with a physical unit to protect her. She is excellent for the chapters with the monsters. One of the best two units to tank magical enemies due to her high resistance.

Edith is great but comes way to late.

Lael is the best healer since she can attack with light and when she evolves, she becomes the ideal unit for the later chapters. Give her any secret books you get, it is worth it. The other best unit to tank magical enemies due to her high resistance.

Roxie is your only dark user if you don’t play Maddening Mode. She is basically a tank against physical enemies but struggles against magic ones. Her skill and speed make her hard to use unless you give her a speedwing and secret book. She is great candidate for the Dreamcatch.

Pavarti is quirky and the runes make her very versatile. An angelic robe is needed since her health is not the best. Other than that, she is quite useful due to the many different runes and both her promotions are very good.

Pepper’s stats are great when you get her but unless you didn’t use Silvan or Caspian, she is basically becomes the reserve axe user.

Tanya, Faith and Ariel can be good but need the right level ups or the Dreamcatch for them to be actually worth the time.

Queenie, Liang, Caden and Sterling look very good and I plan to use atleast two to three of them on my next playthrough.

I am on Chapter 30, the game so far has been quite fun. I liked some of the supports that have been written. My personal fav is Atticus x Pavarti.

Congratulations on finishing this game, it has alot of replay value. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Glad you liked Atticus x Parvati! They’re like my two favorite characters, so I tried especially hard to make their flirting natural.

3 Likes

I made a tier list!

Da Boys: Joseph is an absolute beast as a dark griffon, Boone, Myles and Silvan are all able to essentially be placed in harms way without having to worry too much. Atticus requires a little investment to become a combat unit, but is invaluable as a thief. Ariel is a solid healer with great availability, plus mount, on promotion she can actually be a great combat unit in the last couple chapters versus monsters.

Alright, alright: Wise is instantly useable and has a great support with Joseph. I didn’t use Noelle, but she’s a dancer, so she’s auto-good. Wyatt definitely falls off in the latter portion of the game, pretty much the last 3-4 chapters but he’s still useable and is amazing in the first portion of the time skip. Leah could be S but she’s gone for a good chunk of the middle and she starts off pretty shaky in the first part. Helga starts off alright, but she can be promoted into a wyvern pretty soon after join which fixes her con problems and gives her pierce. Kurtis is also pretty much instantly useable, has flying utility, struggles a little bit with power though, but does wonders with a light brand which you get automatically for Leah. Caden would be higher if he had better availability, but he comes with the royal bow, can promote pretty much right away, and there’s enough flying enemies that having an archer is definitely helpful. Also for some reason, the enemies love to berserk him so it makes fighting against Devante and berserk mages easier. Lael rejoins v shaky but can fly, good staff rank, the use of both fire and light makes her good at killing enemies in the last couple chapters with a tiny bit of investment. Edith is instantly useful from the get-go. Great staff rank, joins with fortify and thoron, if it wasn’t for her availability she’d be up a tier.

Believable: I love Amanda! But her recruitment is definitely difficult and she doesn’t have the best availability. But she’s a tank that hits hard but will be doubled by pretty much everything. Also great staff utility. I didn’t really use Pepper, but she’s great in the chapter she joins in and her growths look decent. If you don’t have Silvan, I feel like she’s a good replacement for him. Parvati is a really unique character and with bright runes can definitely be amazing at taking out certain monsters. Her combat definitely fell off near the end and she struggled with survivability, but as a trickster she has some good staff utility and can hold her own for a good portion of the game. Tarin is pretty solid from the get go but is just outclassed enough by the units that you’ve trained that he makes a good b squad member, but not necessarily the first 11. Kathryn, Brett and Virgil all join a little late but are good in the first part. Brett struggled with speed for me; I also think fire is the worst of the magic trio, there’s a lot more wyverns and pegasi than there are griffons and certain monsters. I was using Saorise, but found that she was pretty much instantly outclassed by Leah who has majestra. I could see her definitely being useable.

C: I feel like all these units have essentially better options above them. Caspian and Winifred didn’t exactly shine in the first part, and I barely used em. Silvan joined stronger than Caspian. Benji was stronger than Winifred upon her rejoin, and both struggled to keep up, and Caden frankly just seems to be a better archer. The other two are armor knights, so good in early maps but just cant keep up. Faith was alright in act 1, but has a lot of survivability issues, and she joins late enough in part 2 that you’ve likely already got fliers who are better than her. I feel like Tanya could be good, but Edith is already good and she requires no investment.

D: I took the route where Roxie joins super late and yeah, even in part 1 she wasn’t doing wonders for me. I also have a feeling recruiting her over Liang would make the early portion of part 2 much more difficult. Travis and Eamon just struggle with speed and damage output in my run.

Rough take! I mean I’ve only played through the one time and I didn’t really analyze growths or anything.

2 Likes

I knew you really liked Atticus, @meta4, but didn’t know that Parvati was also one for your favorite characters. Cool!

You did write a lot of really great supports for this game. Happy that people are noticing. I like Silvan x Ozias support dynamic a lot. It does require to use Ozias to see that one though…

1 Like