Fire Emblem: The Dragon Herald (103.3% Complete FE8 Hack)

Just hopping in to say that you’ve developed a ‘cult following’ within the TDAWS hack server since your appearance in the Krash commentary, thank you for your chill attitude and approach.

4 Likes

I can’t find Victor in Ch20. Does it need to actually let Hartmann “talk” to Victor in Ch3, so Victor will appear in Ch20? I think I just let Hartmann fight Victor in Ch3, then let other win Victor so I can finish Ch3.

It’s a little sad that I can’t recruit all the people…

Yeah, that’s one of the harder ones, it’s marked as a spoiler on the recruitment guide.

Details

You have to talk with Victor using Hartmann, and then additionally also fight Victor with Hartmann afterwards.

1 Like

Ok, then. Sadly…

Wew, extra late night patch boyos (at least from my timezone).

Chapter 10 has come up a lot as a break for most people. I don’t say make or break because no one’s actually professed to like it. Still, it is indeed possible to finagle your way through the chapter without savestates, even with a pretty gutted You, so I didn’t want to get rid of it entirely. However, in light of FEE3, I became aware that there were probably people playing this hack without necessarily wanting to leave feedback, and that it probably sucked for all those people too.

I think I’ve managed to strike a compromise between erasing an entirely beatable chapter and leaving in a thoroughly frustrating and unfun one for many, which is to allow the player to choose. You can now talk to the other unit present in this chapter to gain direct control of the summoned units for the duration of the chapter. Doing so does allow you to also jack their inventories, assuming you have enough inventory space. If you instead elect to persevere through the chapter with green units, you are rewarded with the inventories of said green units (which can then be sent to supply) as well as a Master Seal.

This does come with one drawback: I have introduced yet another player-obtainable swordslayer. I remember someone mentioning that there were too many swordslayers in this game and I did endeavor to remove a few, but whoops more swordslayers.

3 Likes

Yo, have you guys seen this shit, it’s siiiiiiick. Basically a patch that’ll deactivate autosaving so you can use the resume function as a pseudo save file. I’ve created a separate UPS that uses this patch to make mid-map saves for certain big chapters (specifically 12, 15, 20, and 21).

It’s in a separate patch for a few reasons. First of all, I have super not tested this shit yet. I also don’t really want people just saving whenever as a design choice (although you are free to do so with savestates), so I’ve disabled the standard suspend command. This means you gotta play through a chapter in one sitting essentially (unless, again, savestates) which I can imagine will make someone mad if they forget about this change and just close their game not knowing that autosave is turned off. However, I have been thinking for a while that it would be cool to have DSFE saves for some maps that are clearly separated into halves, especially after watching Xetetic’s LP, and this seemed like a nifty way to do it within the game itself rather than just asking people to savestate at certain points, so there you go.

No but seriously if you use this patch also, like, use a savestate too or something just in case.

2 Likes

So I just decided to jump into the romhacking games of the fire emblem community and this is what I started off with and oh boy did it really kick my ass.
Here are some of my thoughts-(Spoilers till Ch.6)

Prologue- So the first map went well and the You being paired with Taiga at the beginning was an smart choice instead of throwing all the units on one side of the boat and slowly pushing through. This made it clear that Taiga is indeed the Jagen and needs to be utilized throughout the game. Lawrence and Byrd have a set of stairs to camp in if they feel pressured but more than likely they will need to reach You and Taiga before the enemy units can finish You off.

Ch.1- The hint at the beginning of the chapter about how the reinforcements of Paladins will arive at the beginning of Turn 13 really makes this map both difficult and prevents players from sitting in the alleys and letting the enemy units kill themselves on their weapons. In my experience of playing the map +5 times (because I’m a perfectionist and need to visit every house and recruit every character) I’ve found that Folz may have the weapon advantage on most units on the map but often can only attack one unit at a time otherwise he risks getting slowly drained of his Hp. I’m not sure if its the hit rate of axes in general that hold him back slightly or just the movement of the knights on the chapter that gets him killed often. Rona’s recruitment is great and the hints are well designed to get the intended interaction. Overall I think its decently designed and can be beaten with some planning as long as you aren’t obsessed with visiting every house on the map.

Ch.2- Oh boy this is where the run stalled for me. The introduction of magic weapons in this map was quite the challenge since any unit holding a flame axe was able to 1-shot most of my fighters (Folz,Byrd, and Lawrence).Taiga wasn’t able to help much since he was needed to run across the map in order to recruit Kris since she is only available for 2 turns after she appears(Unsure whether she reappears later if she isn’t recruited early). My only suggestion would be to either increase the base resistance of Byrd and maybe lower her Res growth so that she can help out in this chapter a little more since most units have little resistance early on and Byrd and Taiga are the 2 units that have enough Hp to tank a hit from a Flame axe and still fight another unit.
Ch.3- This chapter went over well with Taiga running out and visiting the villages while the rest of the units turtled between the mountains surviving the onslaught of enemy units. Ludo’s recruitment was easy enough since Rona was able to hide in the trees and talk to him while the mercenaries tried to hit her. Hartmann’s recruitment wasn’t as clear as I believe you were trying to make it. I recruited him at the very end through trial-and-error, knowing that it was probably a lord recruit if he was recruitable at all. Overall nicely designed chapter.

Ch.4- I knew from the get-go that there was going to be a thief recruitment since there was 3 chests at the top of the map. My only problem was that it never occured to me that lawrence was a slender male and needed to meet with Filch. Map proved to be a slight challenge along with needing to recruit Filch to get those promotion items. Rona started to earn a few kills with the help of walls to protect her from melee units.

Ch. 5- The survive chapters are always hard for me because they are designed to be a more defensive type of chapter but usually offer some great rewards for being aggressive. Promoted Rona early since the ballista was available and she needed a slight buff in order to keep up with some other units. Lawrence made his way to the armory since the many of the enemy units had swordreavers which devasted both Taiga, Hartmann, and Ludo. Lawrence ended up getting promoted by the end of the chapter since he was bulky enough and speedy enough to start taking every unit on. Byrd, Kris and Filch pushed the boss at the bottom until i realized that byrd wasn’t good enough anymore to survive an effective attack from a promoted unit. After my 3rd try I finally realized that the ballista was close enough to the boss to be used and decided that I didn’t need to get some lucky crits to beat the boss.

Ch. 6-The maps have some hard units that if you aren’t prepared for can definitely surprise you and make you pay, my biggest problem of why the map took me so long was that there seemed to be a door between the two groups and I spent most of my time trying to fight my way out with Taiga. The balance of the map was nice with a few magic wielders mixed into the ranged and close combat units.

Overall I really like the rom hack and can’t wait to dive into it more. I’ll probably keep updating this as I continue through the game!

1 Like

Oh man, thanks for spending your first post here!

I think I’ll update Filch’s recruitment line to be a little more specific, since Fire Emblem-style pixel art is probably not suited for conveying specific physical features well (although Hartmann would’ve been easy for that at least).

I actually haven’t tested the ballista placements very much so I’m glad to see you put one to use.

1 Like

I downloaded your patch and there are 2 patches in the file. One is from 12-04 and the other is from 11-29. the 11-29 specifies that it has the DS saves. Does the one from 12-04 also have the DS Saves?

No, the 12-04 doesn’t have DS saves since I wanted to maintain one without. The only update it has is a small text fix though. I’ll probably sync the two if I make any major fixes.

Hi I’ve encountered a bug in Chapter 6 where it’s just stuck on a black screen after beating the boss. I saw in a comment that it was supposed to be fixed. I’ve tried re-downloading then re-patching again. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you send me your .sav file? I’ll have a look at it. Someone else mentioned a Ch. 6 bug before but I don’t think it was this one, so this is likely a new bug. Also let me know if you’re playing on the normal patch or the DS save patch, thanks.

I tried both versions. Is it okay if send it on your Discord? I don’t know how to upload here lol

Update: The issue has been determined to be related to save states most likely. I’ll be adding this info to the possible bugs in the main post, but if anyone suffers from a related bug, try to reset the game and resume from just before the blackout scene without loading a save state.

1 Like

Hey. Don’t mean to promote or anything lol. Just found this hack and decided I would play it on my YouTube channel. I’ve talked with some other hack creators (Legends of Avenir, Code of Black Knights, etc.) and they said they found the videos helpful as far as feedback goes. Here’s a link to the first video if you’re interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl47fl3TQfw&t=15s

1 Like

Hope you enjoy, I didn’t have a dev process so much as “let me just plop this thing down” so any feedback is always appreciated, even if I’m generally more pro-suffering than the site average lmao

1 Like

Hello, @BigMood I’m downloading your hack rn, thx

1 Like

Hello is this thing on her on chapter 7 unstealable? It’s not even flashy green colored and i didn’t get it when i kill her.

Summary

Did Filch have enough speed to steal it? I know she needs quite a few speed gains to be able to get that.

She has 16 spd, the enemy hero has 17spd… That means i can’t steal it?

1 Like