Fire Emblem: Tales From Afar - CANCELLED

I’m happy you used one of my portraits but uhm…

h

The portrait you used looks old, where did ya get it, One of my old hacks?
If so, I am sorry to tell ya that her portrait isn’t free to use.

I played your hack and I have some thigs to say:

1. I know you said this might be a short story, but I feel like you’re thrown into chapter 1 way too quickly, don’t be afraid to make an intro. This build could work as a draft of the final project, and then you can extend the dialogues when you feel ready.

2. the boats in chapter 1 were useless, not even holding ballistas or bows, I know it’s a defeat boss map, but why put them there apart from free exp?

3. Weapons like axereaver and killer lance , etc early, this is just my opinion but I think you should start out with the basic iron lance etc, don’t just give players those powerful weapon early on, it makes the game unbalanced

4. The maps as a whole look pretty bad, not much variety in tiles.

5. Artificial challenge doesn’t equal a fun challenge (talking abt chapter 3), also the green cav doesn’t even have a capitalized name in her status menu, like oof.

That’s all I have to say, I believe you can make a great hack if you really want to! Don’tbe afraid to do new things nor be scared at what others like me say to you, read them and try to better your game.
Looking forward for a finished hack!

To be honest i don’t exactly know where i got that one portrait but i did change it to this.

sylwisww_by_thammarong_dcefqlc_by_thammarong_dceg8_by_thammarong-dceptii

As for the cav in ch.3 i completely did not see that her name didn’t have a capitalized M for the longest time.

As for map looks i. suck. HARD. at making decent maps it got to the point where i had to use a random map generator to generate then design the map based off of it or find a map image and rebuild off said image. i know it is really bad but it is my first time doing something like this (by myself btw) besides it can work as a draft of the final product but will come after when it is finished THEN i will work on the tweaks.

Other than that.
I chose that when Act 3 gets released ill focus more on adding more to cutscene’s in Act 4-5.

1 Like

Maybe add a discord serv and put the update log there
(Wait does act 1 save file usable on incoming updates?)

1 Like

well yes i it at least it should be. The patch right now goes up to the first 2 chapters of Act 3 (preview)

As for the discord log i doubt anyone would join it.
but ill add it none the less.

Act 3 finally released!

Totf discord isnt crowded but still useful
(Ch1 reviews:…
Look at the lords growth rates make me cry
And what are the ships even for…
(Lmao is the lords on a super big royal ship? The boats r so small comparedly)

Welp the money is a bit much and theres still much to improve at writing

Notice!: If you see a random blue unit that is not an actual character reload the chapter it is a bug that occurs at random.

Gonna give people a heads up.
When Act 4 releases new things will be added to previous chapters so if you want to see
the new stuff added i suggest starting a new save file. Also some characters will have their base starting stats tweaked as well. Act 4 will be awhile before release.

This is a teaser of what to expect to find.

Sorry for the silence i have been busy with other things.
But i took the time to clean and rework some color palettes for characters.

gba_96

gba_95

gba_59%403C%20set__________EF83B8

gba_88

gba_53%4036%20cel__________EF8358

1 Like

Some thoughts of mine on this project (I’ve played up to Chapter 4, currently on Chapter 5):

The units have piss all movement. Myllana is the only unit I’ve seen with more than 5 movement, and I didn’t get her because Milla died trying to deal with the insane number of enemies in Chapter 3. It doesn’t help that the maps are HUGE and windy, forcing me to make several turns of just moving my units to the next enemies. And WHY do the lords start with 4 movement? It’s so annoying. It’s so annoying when your only magic unit has four movement.

It’s honestly insane how you expect me to deal with 20 enemies in Chapter 3 with three combat units, when many of those enemies have reaver weapons. I can’t use any of my units (Ammy, Barts, or Frejah) to deal with the axe units because many of those axe units have swordreavers. How am I supposed to get to that village in time? The only method I could see to get past the enemies was to turtle.

Dyas is completely useless. His bases suck, and his growths suck (besides his HP and somewhat his strength). He was more a liability than a unit I wanted to use. As well, why does he start near the brigand in Chapter 2 if he has WTD? It’s just a nitpick but blah it makes the chapter more annoying.

Chapter 4… was probably some of the least fun I’ve had with a chapter ever. It’s long and windy, the Fates music is repetitive and drives you insane, reinforcements come, all of your units are slow as hell, and the only way through is to turtle. And oh, the swordreavers haven’t stopped. Even the boss has swordbreaker. Is Frejah supposed to be completely useless? The only people who can reasonably fight the boss are Ammy and Barts. The rogue doesn’t escape anywhere, he just stays on the Iron Sword chest. And nothing like a good 33 turn Chapter 4 to soothe the palate.
Tales%20From%20Afar-0

Some other nitpicks include:

• You use leadership stars despite no unit using leadership stars.
  • The mugs and palettes could all use some work.
  • The story is honestly just nonsense. I can’t even tell what’s going on at all. Why are they in Maggah again? What’s their goal? I honestly am so uninterested in these characters that I’ve practically forgotten everything.
  • If Len promotes to a shaman, he can’t use his lockpick tome. I haven’t tested this but it seems like it based on the class descriptions.
  • Chapter 5 is just Landing at Taizel. I don’t know how intentional that is.

I’m sorry if all of this comes off as harsh. I would love to see this hack turn into a high-quality hack with lots of polish and fun gameplay, but in its current state it’s just not enjoyable for me. But who knows, maybe the later chapters do improve in quality. Whether that’s true or not, I really hope that you can improve it further.

8 Likes

This is his first hack so its fine?
Yes the story does have room for improvement
The recruit myllana chapter one u just need to put everyone in terrain and use barts to tank
Swordreaver then use ammy and len to deal with
Yes ofc the boon and bane stuffs make some units suck (freejah has 20 or sth str growth wtf)

This was just going to be a quick post, but instead I went into a full analysis of Chapter 3:

I would love to use Len in Chapter 3, but unfortunately, he gets kidnapped and, as such, cannot be deployed. This leaves you with five units: Ammy (who is forcefully deployed), Barts, Milla, Frejah, and Dyas. Dyas is almost completely useless as a unit, so that leaves us with Ammy, Barts, Milla, and Frejah to fill the FOUR deployment slots. Not five. Four.

The map is filled with archers, pirates, and brigands. Frejah is a sword-user, but many of the axe-users have swordreavers. As well, she does not have much bulk: a low HP total and pitiful defense. She does however, have good evasion. That evasion is useless against a swordreaver though: as the 30s will change into an almost guaranteed hit. Because of the enemy density, it’s extremely hard to use Frejah, because one hit of a swordreaver will cut her in two. As well, she gets hit by bows and hand axes because there’s no two range swords. That leaves her out of the race for most situations.

Milla is a cleric, and therefore deploying her gives you one less unit in combat. But she’s infinitely more useful than Dyas. However, she’s not tanky at all, which is no fault of the creator, that’s how healers normally are. This leaves Ammy and Barts.

Ammy’s weapon choice is a game of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. If you use an iron lance or javelin, she’ll get destroyed by the regular axes. If you use her axereaver personal, she’ll get destroyed by the swordreavers. That’s not even to mention the archers: you have to use the javelin to hit them back on enemy phase, and trying to do that means a brigand will come and wreck your day too thanks to the density of enemies.

And finally, we have Barts. Hopefully you give him Dyas’ iron lance, because his personal lance is completely useless. And you’d to need a good lance to deal with the swordreavers. You can get around this by just using his brave axe and tanking, but he will end up taking all the experience. And also, THERE’S A VILLAGE YOU NEED TO SAVE. You can’t turtle because the village needs to be saved, but the enemy composition and density requires you to turtle! It doesn’t help that all your units have 5 movement or less, so getting to the village with one unit is impossible. The map practically encourages you to turtle with your same movement units, and then dunks it in your face with a lost village when you do. It wouldn’t be as bad if instead of swordreavers, you had lances instead. At least lances don’t get the extra bonuses against swords. If I had to give an opinion, buff Dyas, let me deploy a fifth unit, give me time to get to the village, and please, get rid of most the swordreavers.

This will probably come off as rude, and I apologize for it. I am trying to be somewhat lenient since it is his first hack, but there’s only so much you can forgive. Since it’s also his first hack, I want to give my honest feedback. I don’t want to bully him; only give my thoughts and hope that the hack can improve as a whole with them.

1 Like

I see what your getting at. I already made fixes to the enemy placements and character stats like i said in a earlier post i was going to tweak a few things to character bases and other things. The enemies in ch.3 will be a mix of brigands and other classes to balance things out and ill give the lords 5 move to compensate the map sizes but ill tweak those as well and fix some text errors. So it will be awhile.

But when that is dealt with ill release it as a fix patch.
Besides looking back at it, it is pretty damn cringy.
I don’t have a team or anyone to correct my mistakes until it was posted but any feedback and criticism is good to help me tweak and correct things. But im showing some improvement as it goes along but i will take any advise necessary to make this at least decent. But i hear ya loud and clear. Again it will be awhile.

Fix patch released.

I forgot to mention. I made it so when Len promotes into shaman he still has his anima rank.

Fix patch replaced due to an unforseen error.

The fix patch has leadership active here are the characters who have them.

Non-lord characters: Barts 1 star : Tethys 2 stars : Melida 2 stars : Alvits 2 stars : Athos 2 stars :

Main lord characters: Ammy 1 star : Len 1 star : Ianas 3 stars :

1 Like