Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness. Check the OP for updates I do them everytime I achieve now

(lol discourse made me post early and I only just noticed)

1 Like

I used it the second time colloquially.

Wan. Please.

In fact, before I get some pain in the ass response,

https://i.imgur.com/X4wmMNJ.png

1 Like

You said earlier that we would be able to eliminate fatigue with stamina potions; are this going to be obtained at vendors or just enemy drops? And what is the approximate amount of all stamina potions in the game?

1 Like

You can purchase them for a hefty sum, win them as prizes in the arena, and yeah occasionally find them on maps. If you’re that annoyed by fatigue, once more, you can simply turn it off on normal mode. But you will not be able to trivialize it on Hard. As for the approximate amount, approximately unlimited, they aren’t unique. They’re just bloody expensive and frankly you have better things to spend your incredibly limited funds on.

1 Like

Yes, very true; but also true is

BwdYeti - 26/02/2018
I probably wouldn’t scale the stats higher over time
just like if you’re out for 2 chapters, +2 to all or something

Which is the opposite of what you said.

Hence,

“Bonus Stats that increase based on number of chapters benched” = Klokinator Well-Rested (or, rather, what you advocated)
“Bonus Stats that are granted if benched for a certain number of chapters” = BwdYeti Well-Rested(or, rather, what he theoried)

and the entire point was calling it your thing if it’s yeti’s thing seems weird and confusing and that’s ungood for having an actual debate on the merits of the systems

1 Like

What happens when my roy hits 20/20 at ch33 or whatever; is there a way to not feel like i’m wasting time with him(over leveling)?

1 Like

I don’t remember this being mentioned, so forgive me if you’ve heard this countless times before. While spoiling as little as possible, what exactly is the in-story justification for being able to save Hector?

1 Like

Something else you could do with the fatigue system is making fatigued units miss more often and make them use up more weapon durability when making an attack, and it’s easily justified because as they are getting tired from constant battle,they would be making more and more mistakes in battle.

Edit: adding this on because I just thought of it - maybe removing their weapon advantage because as the characters are getting tired, they can longer exploit the advantage their weapons have.

1 Like

What if prepromoted units and old characters like Karel and Jagen get fatigued faster? Makes sense and also enables them to be stronger than other prepromotes while also keep them for becoming must-use for the player.

1 Like

You might as well just ban the character at that point for all the uselessness they’d have in combat.

1 Like

Omni’s fatigue is the same as baning, it only creates the ilusion of choice

1 Like

[quote=“blofeld, post:535, topic:1317, full:true”]
What happens when my roy hits 20/20 at ch33 or whatever; is there a way to not feel like i’m wasting time with him(over leveling)?
[/quote]First: it’s nearly impossible (as Onmi’s stated in earlier design blather but apparently he’s not copied to thread), reworked EXP formula has a mildly harsher dropoff compared to GBA’s; though most of the time this corresponds to about 1 EXP less per battle that you’re above the opponent’s level (relative to GBA’s EXP at the same level difference) until you’re 7 levels up on the enemies (at which point it starts dropping an extra EXP or two);
Second, promoted level cap is 30;
Thirdly, if you want to powerlevel your lord to that ridiculous extent and are able to do it, it seems like you’re wasting more time doing that…?

For normal play purposes as Roy has a lot of things to do on maps besides combat (recruiting, for one) and is going to be hampered by his movement amount, he’s got plenty to do.

[quote=“EliteLordSigma, post:536, topic:1317”]
what exactly is the in-story justification for being able to save Hector?
[/quote]Roy’s Boys Are Fast

[quote=“DDDHunter, post:537, topic:1317”]
Something else you could do with the fatigue system is making fatigued units miss more often
[/quote]-25% skill means this happens already
Weapons don’t have durability
If they didn’t have triangle advantage on top of their stat drop, they’d easily become worthless. It’s kind of dumb.

[quote=“Luismario, post:538, topic:1317, full:true”]
What if prepromoted units and old characters like Karel and Jagen get fatigued faster? Makes sense and also enables them to be stronger than other prepromotes while also keep them for becoming must-use for the player.[/quote]It doesn’t make sense for mechanics to be different for some units. Prepromoted units having different fatigue makes no sense (Klein is about Roy’s age), old characters having different fatigue makes sense but would just add to the player’s burden of knowledge without actually making something interesting happen as a result.

[quote=“Luismario, post:540, topic:1317, full:true”]
Omni’s fatigue is the same as baning, it only creates the ilusion of choice
[/quote]Is it?

Let use an earlier example for the sake of simplicity, Y has 20 HP and 8’s in all his stats Y’s HP becomes 15 and his stats all become 6.

If it’s early, theoretical unit Y is plenty fieldable here, the only issue would be the -1 move. If it’s not that early, then having 20 HP / 8 rest is going to be a liability before fatigue anyway, and thus not particularly relevant that you can’t field them at all if they’re fatigued.
It does easily get into edge cases, but even at worst a stat drop won’t be the end of the world unless the unit was already barely fieldable, in which case they should have had a chance to sit the bench to not be fatigued.

1 Like

While I dislike fatigue, I trust that the game is designed well enough that it will be an interesting challenge. So Onmi has my vote of confidence.

9 Likes

I don’t remember this being mentioned, so forgive me if you’ve heard this countless times before. While spoiling as little as possible, what exactly is the in-story justification for being able to save Hector?

The explanation for being able to save Hector is that the prison he’s being kept in is visible on the map, and you have xth amount of turns to reach him. Even then, healing magic is not time magic, you can’t “Undo” all the shrapnel, the melted in stone that’s merged with his flesh, the arrowheads and the bone fragments. One would need a masterclass bishop and surgeon to ‘save’ Hector. What you have is a novice cleric, an arcanist, a noble girl on a horse and a slacker monk. None of whom can really do more than help keep the comatose cadaver alive as best they can while hoping to get him to someone who can truly help.

Something else you could do with the fatigue system is making fatigued units miss more often and make them use up more weapon durability when making an attack, and it’s easily justified because as they are getting tired from constant battle,they would be making more and more mistakes in battle.

Edit: adding this on because I just thought of it - maybe removing their weapon advantage because as the characters are getting tired, they can longer exploit the advantage their weapons have.

This is miserable. The idea of fatigue is not for it to be miserable, it’s to be easily understood, with very clear cut features that affect a unit more the stronger that unit is. That is the ‘genius’ of Fatigue, by the way, that if a unit is weak, then Fatigue doesn’t really ‘do’ anything to them. But if a unit is overly powerful, then their negatives are far grander and debilitating.

What if prepromoted units and old characters like Karel and Jagen get fatigued faster? Makes sense and also enables them to be stronger than other prepromotes while also keep them for becoming must-use for the player.

Then it’d be an unreasonable and unnecessary debuff along with adding more information the player needs conveyed. Here’s a quick lesson in UX design. A user should understand at a glance what it is they’re looking at. There’s a reason Fatigue is planned to be on the Portrait-side of the screen, so the player can always track it.

And you know? I won’t claim it’ll be right the first time. That’s not possible. There are going to be things we have to tweak, whether it be how much EXP units gain, their growths, the overall level cap going from 20/30 to 30/30 or whatever lies in-between. I have to test that out. But like with the removal of weight, I’m pretty confident in the overall system. Of course there are going to be tests that need to happen, what new system works out the box?

8 Likes

No one has really used fatigue in any incarnation of Fire Emblem since FE5, anyway. Full fatigue, anyway, since FE15 did use it somewhat for the dungeons. I personally didn’t find it that unpleasant, but I’ll admit I have a high tolerance for handicap mechanics such as it. Everyone sort of seems to have this forbidden fruit attitude towards it where it’s avoided like the plague but also tantalizingly played with in regards to possible implementation in fan projects and future official games.

I think any implementation of it in a romhack is going to be purely experimental since there’s so little to work with in terms of actual, implemented and extensively playable systems as opposed to all the concepts that have been thrown around over the years. I think it’s a good thing that someone’s trying to do something with it.

3 Likes

I like your idea, isn’t as hard as FE5 fatigue, but actually has effects in the game unlike Echoes’s Fatigue.

2 Likes

I’ve been lurking on this thread for several months (maybe a year or more) to follow the progress of this project and I just now made an account to say:
Thank you, Onmi. This is such an ambitious project and despite all the crappy stuff that’s been going on in your life you keep carrying on. Mad respect. This just touches my soul as a fire emblem fan. Can’t wait to play when this is done and I hope things keep getting better for you! :yellow_heart:

9 Likes

On an unrelated note, are you going to start streaming again anytime soon? I was enjoying watching you play Shadow Dragon and get repeatedly rekt by magic users wreck face.

1 Like

I intend to, I’ve recently started my Masters course though, so I’ve found less of a rhythm to get in to, especially while working on MoD more.

1 Like

What will you do about the Music Onmi? Will it be the same as the original Fe6 or will you remaster it?

1 Like