Fire Emblem: Maiden of Darkness. Check the OP for updates I do them everytime I achieve now

Ah, that is such a clever idea!
It definitely adds some replay value with the many combinations.

1 Like

Now, we have a lot of information we need to get onto the stat screen, but one of our members has always disliked how “Space Inefficient” it was. So we’ve done up these templates. I know they’re unlike the usual FE layout, and the prioritized information is more hardcore than flavourful. However I would still like to hear peoples opinions on the overall… everything.

Now, this is not the final ‘look’ we’re going to of course make it pretty and nice looking. This is just a function template.

13 Likes

I thought it was a bit busy at first but the more I look at it, the more it makes sense to me, good layout. I also really like how it shows support bonuses.

2 Likes

It is a bit dense, but i think you’d get used to it pretty quickly. If i’m to whine about something, i’m not too fond of HP being listed in multiple locations, unless there are HP-modifying items or abilities that would make it relevant to have base/modified. I guess you’d use a narrower font so names and class names don’t run together if they’re longer?

e: wait hold on Roy has how much con??

1 Like

Those are Gwendolyn’s statistics.

The reason HP is on the first page is that the template maker wanted the stats to… be there and lined up for when you hit select to bring up the growths.

2 Likes

Hmm. Why not make the HP on the left change its appearance for the growths? Is that not doable, or just tricky due to multi-paging?

This window is my least favorite, but only because there’s no real division between the weapon ranks and item list above.

Question: How many weapons will any given character have, at max? Four? Do you need to have all 8 listed? Why not use a system similar to JJ’s Arbitrary Weapon Rank system? You could use six weapons as the maximum and put a divider between the items and weapon ranks.

Also, this bit here is a little cramped. Edit: And the HP numbers are slightly misaligned? Hard to tell.

https://i.imgur.com/MMUSCMy.png

2 Likes

The Weapon Ranks page is the only page I really have an issue with as the page looks cramped

1 Like

My initial idea for HP was to have C.HP (current hp) on the pane only, and M.HP (max hp) on the stat screen. C.HP would change color to show range (like glowy green for full, orange for 50-99%, grey for <10%, something like that). Others felt that both should be on the pane, so we decided to go with that. As Onmi said, I wanted the growths page to line up with the stats so that you don’t have to move your eyes when checking a particular stat vs its growth.

There should be enough space by default. There’s 12 tiles total, and 5 tiles are provided for the character name on the prep screen, leaving 7 for the class.

It’s doable, but yes, tricky due to multi-paging. Also I don’t think it would be the obvious place to look for an HP growth, having most of them be in 1 column and then the last one being in a totally different place.

4 is the max. I wanted all 8 because I thought it makes it easier to compare between units if particular rank is always in the same place. That said, I’m not dead set against either having 4/6/only showing available ranks (although the latter might look a bit empty in the beginning, given most units only have 1 or 2). Having some kind of divider would be nice, I agree.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

3 Likes

Oooh yeah, i definitely agree that max/current hp should be listed together and i get wanting the growths to be collected so i suppose that is the best solution.

2 Likes

I think the HP-on-stat-page is fine. I’m not bothered by it.

I’m only bothered by 3 things, currently.

1. The skills are practically touching the bottom row of stats.

1. No divider here.

1. This is a little cramped, possibly misaligned.

My recommendation: Consider capping the number of weapon levels at 4 and switching to an arbitrary number of weapon levels. After that, since you’ll be going from 8 weapon levels to 4, I would consider moving the character skills to the inventory and weapon levels page.

Another option: Make the right window a few pixels taller by expanding it more to the bottom, especially on the stat page, but maybe on all of the pages. It doesn’t quite line up with the left side right now anyway, so I think that would make it look better.

By expanding it downward slightly, you could give the skill icons on the stat page a few pixels of breathing room, OR you could move the skill icons to the inventory/weapon level page and thus have more room to space the stats out slightly more.

Edit: PS, why are there so many spots for supports? Seems like the supports page has way more slots than necessary since you can only have at most 5 supports in vanilla GBAFE. Is that changing for MoD?

2 Likes

There are unlimited supports and Roy, among others, have 10.

I don’t want to move Skills to the items page because, frankly, they’re more important than items are and thus should be the first thing you can check when you open the item page. We even made it so hititng R immediately takes you to the skills to observe.

3 Likes

I was actually thinking, assuming the supports page was just a WIP, you could make a big change and put Skills into a permanent bottom section for all three pages, mostly so people could see character skills no matter which page they’re on. You could make a strong argument for skills being on the item page (they often affect your items/weapons) or your stats page (they usually affect the stats too). However, some skills do affect supports (no clue if that’s the case for MoD) so having them available on the supports page could be useful as well. It wouldn’t make sense to only have Skills on the item/stat pages but not the supports page, hence why I thought all three would be better.

Of course, if you’re doing unlimited supports, then that automatically means you can’t put skills on all three pages, so, :man_shrugging:

I say just fix the misalignment issues, add a divider for weapon levels, and move skills down a few pixels and that should be good.

2 Likes

Oh hell yes. The amount of button-fondling you have to do every time you want to look at the skills is honestly the biggest problem the gba skill system has so that is a really good change to make.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d prefer if that was a toggleable ingame option. Something like “R-Skill Jumping: [All] [Player] [Enemy] [None]” or something like that.

I don’t like when things mess with my muscle memory.

Edit: Alternately, the A and L buttons aren’t used in the inventory/R-button menus. Maybe pressing R would take you to the character’s menu like before, but pressing A would instantly take you to the character’s skills? It’s one additional button press, but doesn’t also ruin muscle memory.

2 Likes

A press does have an effect; when viewing the page of a unit rescuing another unit, it takes you to the page of the rescued unit.

L press actually has an effect too (as in, there’s a check for it), but I have no idea what (if anything) it does.

I don’t think it’s worth the hassle of trying to design 2 r-button systems in this instance. I could be wrong, but I feel that you’d learn “R press is on skills right away” pretty quickly. What other options would you even want to check on the stat screen?

1 Like

I typically don’t even check the stat screen all that much, since with the exception of bosses, I usually want to know what an enemy’s equipment is. I prefer seeing the weapons screen when r-buttoning a unit. Having the screen ALWAYS jump to skills when I press R would drive me batty. I like that GBA remembers the last window I visited.

What if I want to check the items for several specific units? What used to be:
R, B, move to next unit, R, B…

That will instead become:
R, B to cancel the skill description popup, press right to get to the items, press B, move to next unit, R, B to cancel the skill description popup, press right to get to the items, press B, move to next unit, etc.

I understand the logic of making the game jump right to skills, but if it’s going to be like that, I’d rather have skills on every page at the least if they’re that important.

1 Like

You’re misunderstanding. It’s not “Press R to open stat screen, automatically hit the R-text on the first skill” It’s “R to open the stat screen, and when you press R again, it jumps to the skill section on page 1.”

Open the stat screen

Press R

Equipment page

Pressing R on the equipment page

And as far as I know that decision is only for our skill system

7 Likes

Ah, well, in that case, it’s fine. Does R-buttoning on the stats page always jump to the skills first? I feel like that could be added to the existing skill systems and would wildly improve them.

1 Like

Yes, that’s the idea. It’s a simple matter of changing which r-bubble struct should be initially used.

3 Likes

Guessing this is related to it doing debug stuff, which it does do in the FE7 and FE8 prototypes. You could use the L button to bring up a cursor to directly edit stats/inventory.

3 Likes