Alright, so this is it. Small introduction as well.
I’m Sokaballa. I found Serene’s Forest a couple years back and was fortunate to play some really
good FE hacks along the way. TLP, Requiem, Road to Ruin, Heaven’s Bloom, OCA… There are
some really good, quality projects out there.
Wasn’t until 7743 came out with FeBuilder that I genuinely considered making a hack of my own.
Don’t know a lick about coding, ASM, etc… Nor do I know anything about artwork, pixel art, game
balance… Well, I didn’t know hardly anything about making a game.
But in November of last year I made a good attempt at learning FeBuilder. By no means am I perfect. But it’s been a hobby of mine trying to make a game from the ground up (with some tools, of course.)
So introductions aside, this is my hack:
FIRE EMBLEM: ILLUMINATED
Hack of Fe8
A brand new story (with a serious tone) set in a new continent, Ralspar.
Higher difficulty than Sacred Stones.
10 playable chapters with three story chapters (for a total of 13). Planning for a total of 20-25 playable by hack’s end. This demo contains what I would consider to be the first arc.
Some custom classes, weapons, etc… Everything I have is from the FeUniverse Ultimate Repository
New maps for each chapter (which progress in quality through the hack)
Some custom music (Also from the Ultimate Repository)
A few quality of life hacks (Showing HP Bar, Show health to be healed).
Circles Skill System. I love the inclusion of skills with Circles’ patch. I did my best to give every playable character a skill that is useful for the hack. Skills are learned at level 8 and 15.
Differing objectives for chapter completion. Especially as I gained some proficiency with FeBuilder, chapter objectives start to become more diverse.
Most every chapter has some form of making you work efficiently. It is fairly guaranteed that if you
spend too long in a chapter, there will be a very strong unit that will be deployed to gun you down.
I did this to encourage the player to work efficiently when possible.
Though there is only one promotion item in the hack at the moment (and no promotions really set up
just yet), promotion will only be available after Level 15. I do this to make sure those extra skills are
gained… But also because:
This hack is designed to have a small roster. There are only 11 characters that are recruit-able in the hack (12 if you include the final chapter, though you won’t get to play with him). I wanted to make sure that because of the small roster, every character is valuable to the player and must be taken care of… Including the extra level ups.
Portraits from the Ultimate Repository
More as I think of them!
- The prologue is meant to be played in a very specific way. It is the only time that I’ll ask the player to
play a chapter on my terms, but I wanted to have an interactive prologue. As a result, and the hack
will ask you to… Stick to the red carpet, please!
- Some characters will cause a game over upon death (outside of lord characters). These characters are essential for some story development. HOWEVER, once their plot continues the story, you can lose them just like any other FE game. (Cordelia, Ophelia, Lana are examples)
This is my first attempt at a hack and I have play tested it A LOT. However, there will certainly be bugs.
If you happen to come across any, PLEASE let me know.
Bugs I’m aware of:
- HP Bars are messed up in Chapter 4. Not sure why. Just for that chapter, if you would Toggle “Subtitle Help” to “Off”, it will fix the problem. After chapter 4, you can toggle it back on.
- Promotion Screen Prologue Glitch (Really Short but still there)
- Fliers Movement Sounds (Dragon Knight (Don’t know why changing movement sound doesn’t fix)
- Funky Bug where enemies don’t attack Sam after (re)recruitment (Chapter 7)
- Ophelia Battle Crashing Game Randomly (Rare occurance.) Could be my old computer.
- Ophelia Opportunist Skill doesn’t work(I don’t have the latest skill system in use. The one I have is stable and most skills work, but I did not want to go back and reallocate skills from where I started the project. Either going to update at some point or hopefully someone can help me with just that skill.)
- Rally Magic Doesn’t Work (Probably Above Reason)
Things that I’d like to get to:
- Somehow incorporating forced support level gains. Balancing support bonuses with skills has been tricky, so for the moment, there are no supports. There is a chapter in which gaining support levels would be very appropriate (and you’ll know it when you play it), but I’d rather support levels be tied to story events and “Talk” commands. That way I can control the pacing.
- A battle animation for Jay, the light mage lord. I’m cool using the monk’s at the moment, but something unique would be better.
- A male pegasus rider animation (with a sword). Yea I’ll probably just bite the bullet on that one and leave the female’s (Sorry Frederick).
Any thoughts about the hack would be awesome. If you play through the hack and have tips, criticism, etc. about anything (maps, character growths, anything), I’d love to hear it.
Please use save slot 1 only. I’ve had some funky stuff happen with characters disappearing when not using save slot 1. So please stick with that one (Thanks 7743).
Thanks for the read. Good luck, have fun!
ALL the work everyone does at this forum. Without it, I never would have had access to FeBuilder, the repository, the assets… etc. You guys rock.
Spell- Dulam (Arch)
Spell- thoron (Arch) (Mikey_Seragon for updated version)
Mikey Seragon (Female Mage / Lilina)
OracleofFire /Khrene Kleaver (Vanguard icon/Ike Ranger Animation)
Pushwall (Hero, Lance)
Iscaneus and Nuramon (Knight (Bow/Lance))
Fighter (Fe9) (Mk404)
PrincessKilvas (Mercenary Axe Animation)
Skitty (Cavalier Axe Animation)
BorsDeep (Fe4 Attack - Music)
Music (Credits from TLP)
Tequila (Show HP Heal)
Mercenary F (Beta Eirika Edit)(Hover Anim)
Russel Clark (F Merc)
Myrmercidon (Max FEU)
The Blind Archer (General Bow Anim)
Sephie (Pegasus Fencer Moving Map Sprite)
Flasuban (Dragon Knight Map Sprite)
Assassin M (Hoodless, Bow) (SD9k, Keks_Krebs, Peerless)
Circles Skill System
Tequila and Circles QoL Patches
7743 (For FeBuilder and Helping me A LOT in the Discord)
Leonarth (For Helping A LOT in Discord)
Lastly, if you’re interested in talking to me about the project, I would love to hear some feedback. I set up a discord today that I will check periodically as well.