http://www.mediafire.com/file/p4qzsqwv1h28b3j/Code_of_the_Black_Knights_-_May_11_patch.rar/file <-DOWNLOAD THE HACK HERE! (Patch on an FE8 ROM.)
Hey there! I am Mycahel. For the last few months I’ve been working on a hack concept with an unique plot. I had no experience with hacking at all, though, so I had to learn everything from scratch. Thankfully, I think I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I only completely broke the game on
seven eight different ocassions! I think. Anyway, here we go!
By the way, all feedback is appreciated. The hack currently has 17 chapters (20 if we count the side chapters and the interlude.) and is over halfway complete!.
Code of the Black Knights is a romhack that takes place on the continent of Lumae, a mass of land that was pulled from the oceans by Naga, the God of Creation, 213 years before the game takes place. Due to this unusual origin, Lumae was isolated from the rest of the world until recently.
Within the continent, there are four runes which have bizarre, mystical powers. Four nations took them, and became more powerful than the rest of the nations in the Continent.
Enter our protagonists: Schwarze and Noir, who, after an attack on a central fort, seek to investigate why Zoyla, an allied nation would send mercenaries against them. But some truths were not meant to be discovered…
Our main Characters
Schwarze- A 19-year old knight who has unparalelled combat skill. His fighting style is rather unusual; while most knights use regular swords or spears, and lords generally use rapiers, Schwarze instead specializes in the use of heavy blades. His unique weapon, Seiken, was a custom-made sword he was given when he was named knight, and it doesn’t even weigh him down. One of the two commanders of the Holy Knights of Kalm, his loyalty to his kingdom is unshakable - or so he believes. When the truth is exposed, he will be forced to choose between defending his country… or his own ideals.
Noir - The Tactician Commander of the Holy Knights of Kalm. At just 18 years, she managed to prove her worth and become a symbol of inspiration thanks to her capacity to adapt to her surroundings–It’s been nearly a year since that day. She leads through knowledge, and exploits this knowledge by using forgotten magic. Her signature spell, Gawain, summons a dark blade and grants her defense, at the cost of range. She constantly keeps a serene, stoic demeanor, but what emotions and motivations does she hide behind this mask?
What this hack offers:
- An unique, interesting storyline with a custom world map, an In-game glossary and a lot of world building.
- Creative map design with a lot of replayability. Every run is a different experience.
- A revamped magic system! Not only is the anima triangle back, but every type of magic has a different specialty! Dark magic has varying effects and tends to apply debuffs, Anima magic focuses towards raw damage at different ranges, and nearly every light magic tome has a specific attribute, such as Hit/Avo or Crit, radically increased.
- Side chapters that are actually optional! They feature a different party, and present a new point of view. Playing them is HIGHLY recommended, but there is no penalty for skipping them, either.
- Multiple endings! Even in this demo, one of them is already implemented.
- Two deeply developed protagonists and a varied cast! Even the bosses have their own character and motivations.
- Several custom classes! Without going too deep, Schwarze and Noir both belong to unique classes of their own.
- A skill system that implements the STR/MAG split(Thank you, CirclesEverywhere and Co.)
- A whole array of (Mostly) original soundtrack! Currently, over 16 tracks were composed for these chapters. This includes the battle and map themes.
Also a lot of midis that i totally didn’t steal from the soundroom~
- Varied map objectives, with anti-turtling incentives and non-linear design!
- A lot of choices that affect the narrative. Some of them are conscious, and some of them aren’t, but still affect the events in the game. Some don’t have real weight, some do have real importance, some have long term consequences and some even determine the outcome of the story. This can vary from chapter branches to different units being deployed - with or against you. But there isn’t always a right answer.
- When a character dies, they’re gone forever, but unlike regular fire emblem, they’re not forgotten. Certain characters have different developments depending on who’s alive, and some scenes only trigger when some others aren’t. For this reason, it’s recommended not to reset on death (It’s a demo anyway, what do you have to lose lol)
What is planned:
- Around 26-28 chapters, divided in three acts. This is going to be a long hack XD
- 3rd Tier classes! (That you get literally for, like, two or three chapters, because plot.)
- A time skip between the second and third arc, in which you can see how the characters have evolved and developed.
- Write act 3.
- Actually make act 3
- Did I mention I should start doing act 3? No?
- This list will be updated as the hack goes on.
- @7743 for FEBUILDERGBA. Thanks a lot, dude.
- A lot of the characters were made by editing portraits I made with TheFlyingMinotaur’s portrait generator tool. You can find it here. https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/7l6wuk/i_love_gba_fire_emblem_spritesportraits_so_i_made/
- ARandomWizard, Leviathan 64, Melia, @CapibaraInSpace, @LaurentLacroix, @Nickt and probably everyone involved in any mugging blitz ever for several of the boss mugs from the repo.
- @A_Reliable_Chair for keeping the soundroom and the song repository. Also everyone involved in the soundroom lol.
- @Bwan for improving Noir’s portrait.
- FEGIRLS for the female fighter map animation.
- Team SALVAGED, Nuramon, Blood, Pikimin, DerTheVaporeon and TBA for several repo animations and edited animations.
- Lissandra_Brave and 2WB for several item icons.
Thanks a lot, see you soon!