Fire Emblem: Chronicles of Nothingness (3/6 Chapters done) (Playtesters wanted)

Hello, my name is BandanaSplitzzz.

I’m presenting FE: Chronicles of Nothingness. A short, polished hack about a woman in hell.

Fort Ligma.emulator2-0

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

DOWNLOAD

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside the still waters.

Also, this isn’t a .gba file, this is a .ups file, which you can’t just open like an exe.
If you don’t know how to patch roms, click here for instructions.

Hack was playtested with a mix of VBA and mGBA, but since mGBA is better, I suggest you use mGBA.

Features
  • A motherfucking level select
    • Levels are designed to be replayable, easy to beat and hard to master. Chapters contain bonus objectives rewarding perfect, intelligent play. Recieve neat trinkets and build the world as you play better
  • Sick ass skills
    • Every single player unit has the skill “Charge”, making them do +1 damage for every tile traveled during player phase.
    • Every single player unit serves a discrete, useful niche through skills, stats, weapons, or everything but the kitchen sink.
    • Turtling is dead, in all forms. Playing as fast, risky, and skilled as possible is necessary to succeed. Carpe diem.
  • Dynamic difficulty
    • Levels are easy to clear, difficult to master. Enjoy the pleasure of a more traditional difficulty curve, one based around repeated trials and mastery of the games levels.
  • RPG is dead
    • Inventory management, skill bloat, hell even player levels are all totally eliminated. Enjoy the pleasures of a tactical, rng, grid based game without any overwhelming management issues. The burden of commitment may be removed off of your shoulders.
    • Oh, also permadeath is disabled. Imagine if u died once in a mega man game and had a boss weapon removed for the rest of the playthrough.
    • That would be stupid.
    • And this hack isn’t stupid.
    • ∴ it is not in this hack.
Story

Pandora is an old spirit rightfully placed in the afterlife. Trapped in a hell beyond her comprehension, or anyone else for that matter, she must follow the will of her oppressors to find out who she was in the past life… A full tragedy told in 6 chapters.

Plot inspiration taken from The Binding of Isaac, Neon White, Hades, and ULTRAKILL, so your ass knows it’s good.

Project origins and future

Remember 4-ish months ago when I said I would consider making a For Nunya expansion pack? This is it.

For those who played that 1 chapter hack (that’s entering this hack borderline unedited), here’s a changelog

• Added 2 new units, Burstster and Chipster (In the new chapters)
  • Bonus objectives now have instrumental worth
  • Not every unit is a wyvern rider, based off of an offhand comment made by Vesly in 2020
  • Added climactic boss music for every chapter
  • Probably more. Maybe.

Nunya expansion pack expanded to the point where it’s beyond Nunya expansion. I wanted to make something half serious, y’know?

I’m not naive, this hack is a tonal mess. i’d be lying if i said i had a full idea for this hack from the get go. down the line, in addition to the entire second half, i’d like to revisit ch1 to fix the tone, but that’s a ways out of the way.

i know constant updates tend to scare me off from other hacks (especially if it changes content i’ve already completed), so i’ll try to keep updates few and far between. since everything is replayable, this hack should be resistant to this issue, but i’m not 100% certain. for the most part, i’ll only do updates for MAJOR updates (new chapters, chapter overhauls, endings, etc), or hotfixes. depending on how everyone feels about them, maybe i won’t! we’ll see.

Screenshots

Chronicles of Nothingness.emulator2-0Chronicles of Nothingness.emulator2-1

Chronicles of Nothingness.emulator2-7Chronicles of Nothingness.emulator2-2

Chronicles of Nothingness.emulator2-3Chronicles of Nothingness.emulator2-4|Chronicles of Nothingness.emulator2-7

Resources and Guides

git gud
/uj I plan on making an in-character guide for mastering some chapters. i never liked how obtuse games usually require a guide, and make it so that whatever the de-facto guide on the internet practically becomes part of the canon. the easiest way to circumvent this is to monopolize the guide business. whatever unfunny jokes they got will be MY unfunny jokes god dammit.

This section will serve as a placeholder until then.

Changelog
    • Hack released to public
    • For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind
Credits

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

Thank you for seeing my hack. May the 3 minds guide you well.

9 Likes