Fire Emblem: Aftermath

OK guys, let’s go back to the times of Genealogy. I want to make a hack with large scale maps that use the new fire weapons efficiently, and at the same time lots of help for balancing issues with the updated mechanics.

Let us do magic.

Here’s our template:

Quote from Alusq in, “Creating Fire Weapons on Fire Emblem!?”

My take on guns in FE would give them a high might that isn’t affected by the user’s strength (you can pull a bow string farther and more easily with strength, but it makes no difference for pulling a trigger). I remember Arch(?) having the idea of guns both not being able to counter and not being able to be countered, which would make them interestingly surgical in combination with the fixed might; it could also be compared to actual early gun use where smoke made it impossible to aim directly after shooting and reloading took a long time.

If you wanted to take historical comparison to the extreme, you could make it so you have to wait a turn after attacking with a gun to use it again (the stipulation being that the gun has to be reloaded); this would also encourage a loosely historical flow to battle where you open with a volley of gunfire before sending in the cavalry, and the infantry have spears or bardiches as secondary weapons to either defend against the cavalry or slam against the opposing infantry line. Maybe give guns a hit bonus when the user has an ally adjacent and a penalty when there’s an enemy adjacent to encourage structuring units into lines.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do try to emulate this style of warfare, you have to reconcile the fact that death count was just a statistic with how much of a huge loss it is for just one unit to die in Fire Emblem. You can lean into this and have your non-lord characters be more “generic” (Allen/Lance/Noah/Trec from FE6 come to mind: you might come to care about each one of them through supports but from a gameplay perspective they’re a certain degree more expendable than others because they’re all the same class), or you can do a little writing and say that the presence of magic in the world changes this: for example, clerics might become vital to the structure of armies because of their potential as battlefield medics, and for this reason your non-lord units would just have casual mode-style deaths because it’s understood that the clerics will run around bringing everyone back from the brink of death after the battle is over. This also gives you an interesting subplot to play with where killing clerics is considered a war crime because it potentially causes thousands to die untreated, but on the other side of things, there are people who are doomed to live their entire lives in the army because wounds that would normally cause their retirement can just be healed. This sets up not only a “clergy vs shamans/mages” plot, but a “nobility vs peasants” plot as well.

The main obstacle to people actually putting guns in their game, as far as I see it, is that they worry about making animations for all the new classes and/or people just want the sword-and-sorcery setting with no strings attached. Something like the invention of the bronze cannon could turn any FE setting on its head (can’t get through that door? BOOM! Whoopsidoodle, 1/4 of the map is now ruins! I knew it was a foolproof idea to give Cath a horse-drawn cannon). The Emblem Brigade’s Project Z had guns, but they were just reskinned bows; the big difference was that rifles replaced longbows and pistol- and rifle-users were their own classes with weapon locks.

As for people wanting to use bows over guns? Take a page from history again and throw some real-deal steppe hordes into your setting: horse archers were so powerful on the plains that the hordes’ biggest downfall was in-fighting until guns and the requisite military tactics came around. Guns should straight-up be the best way to fight them (“the only way” according to the plot). The steppe setting also lets you have setting-appropriate shamans, and in the hypothetical plot from earlier, the combination of guns and clerics would easily steamroll the cossacks and shamans and be a testament to the power of the big bad empire which was the first to perfect the guns+clerics strategy. An actual way to differentiate bows from guns would be to make guns unable to fire behind things, i.e. you would need a straight shot at your enemy rather than being able to hit them behind other units or rough terrain, but this would be technically challenging to implement and the sort of thing I’d procrastinate on until the rest of the game was finished.

Curse you for prompting me to write this essay; now I wanna make the game I just described.

P. S.: I’m as noob as one can be to Fire Emblem hacking. I’ll need help with pretty much everything so please bear with me. A pleasure to make an acquaintance.

1 Like

Bruh.

SRPG Studio is totally the place to go for enormous FE4-sized maps. And for implementing more custom weapon types than what the GBA games have to offer.

Specifically fe4-sized maps is difficult with GBA hacking due to map size limits; you can get up there, but not quite FE4-sized
The other problem with giant maps is they tend to be empty and annoying or boring to play

2 Likes

I’ve been are pondering about it. I planned on to give a more ranged focus to the game, making all the space a need for a more wholesome strategic approach. Also, trust me, I’ll have FUN with terrain placement.

In case you wonder, short range units do will still exist, but they’ll be able to take a lot more punishment and hit harder. This is because they will almost never see direct combat; they’ll do their best to keep your ranged units alive and at the same time you’ll ranged units will do their best to help them advance into the enemy ranks to wreak havoc. I already have the pacing planned out and I’ll give some more info about it later, but first I want a little bit more feedback about the project outline to see potential flaws.

I don’t want the WHOLE thing. Using so much space would be way too hard. Two countries in one lonely map? Madness I say! Fun! But Madness!

GBA has lined out pretty much everything I need on its tools. It will be easier for me to work around them. If anyone else complies to SRPG Studio well, I’ll contemplate on the subject.

Thanks for the advice. Keep an eye out.

I appreciate your zeal, but I really want to encourage you to start small. Wanting to start with a massive, FE4-scale game is a common beginner mistake. You should start by making a single chapter in a 15×10 (the minimum size for a map) map; it sounds tiny, but there is actually a lot you can do with that amount of space and making a tiny game will teach you the basics (events/maps/portraits/class stats/etc) and help you learn what to do and what not to do when you start on something bigger. Before you try to do something as extreme as implementing guns in Fire Emblem, get a feel for editing stuff like weapons and classes (e.g. make multiple tiers of longbows and split cavaliers into sword and lance versions). If you want, you can even follow the compact first chapter with an FE4-sized one. As you learn the ins and outs of the game engine, your plans for making your game will become more concrete and you’ll be better able to carry them out.

(You can quote posts with [quоte=usеr][/quоte])

1 Like

Also, SRPG Studio is a lackluster tool, esepcially when FEBuilder exists, at least in my opinion. That and it comes with a hefty price tag.

Oh don’t worry. This is a long term thing I posted just to announce and look for people interested in contributing. I myself am aware that my abilities for such a thing are more than lacking. Right now I do use a big map but it’s some sort of playground filled with many tiles of different terrain and characters of different kinds, a boss to test some things and villages for eventing and recruiting. I’m barely learning how to introduce skills in the game plus the basics of ASM with Tequila. Whenever I feel ready to practice such things I’ll start asking for more concrete help for inserting those more complex mechanics. This whole thing will take my whole next month, but its pretty interesting and fun. If you have any advice to start a bit more smoothly, I’ll be happy to obligue.

If you think it’s too soon, I’m not enough of a fool to push forward regardless. :wink:

Perhaps it’s true that FEBuilder is better if you don’t plan to stray away from GBA formulas, but OP’s ideas sound a lot more demanding.

Enormous maps and new weapon types are extremely easy to accomplish in SRPG Studio. Granted, you’ll have to scour the Japanese Internet for proper Gunner animations, but that shouldn’t be too hard to do.

1 Like

Nes. I’ve always wanted to take a shot at spriting. This is the chance. I’ll get on it maybe on the third or fourth month of progress after starting the thing for real and with some luck, I’ll have at least two more spriters to back me up.

Heavily disagree with it.
If anything FE 4 and 5 are among the busiest of maps with the best and most demanding terrain usage.

Nes. I’ve always wanted to take a shot at spriting. This is the chance. I’ll get on it maybe on the third or fourth month of progress after starting the thing for real and with some luck, I’ll have at least two more spriters to back me up.

Nes?

Sorry to say but I dont think anyone agrees that a large open field with a huge cluster of a single enemy type on the other side of the map is “the best terrain usage”.
FE5 was mostly fine.

2 Likes

To be fair, even if a lot were well planned there was a lot of terrain that was never traversed by any of my units on my own playthrough. The contact with enemy objectives always happened pretty early and from there onwards I kept stagnant in one land of gras dispatching two to three units at once then rinse and repeat.

I mean no. Sorry, its an habit.

Then you must have played it long ago and forgotten that
maps featured multiple enemies spread around in groups
with various objectives left and right (villages, events, castles)

And the “cluster” of enemies wasn’t a case of “send 1 unit to solo them”.

Are you sure? Because with the ridiculous stat bonuses the crusader weapons provided, it sure felt that way.

For which you had to abuse arena to even maintain.
And this certainly is the backdoor the devs left as a way to beat the game.

And that’s the nice thing about the FE4.
It allowed you to progress either through solo cheese or by having everyone in Gen1 Lv25+ and have group vs group fights.

And three turns before reaching the objectives. With unlimited unit count.

I mean, Genealogy could do with a Revamp just to fix things like the reliance on Mov giving closer secondary objectives and the introduction of more unit variety on the early game. I only felt on the action about half way in.

Also trade, I just need trade to be a thing on that game.

Then again, Sigurd. That pretty much kills any flaw.