IntroductionWelcome! I've been meaning to try making a spriting competition on FEU for some time now, because to quote @Klokinator, SF can't have all the spriting fun! Put simply, people will be given a format, theme, resources and guidelines, and entries will be put on a poll in "Best in Theme" and "Pick ones you like" categories. I will PM the winner of a round asking them to pick the theme and part of the resources, and runners up will pick the remaining resources, much like SF.
The format is still experimental and prone to changes; any and all feedback is appreciated. The first round will be more or less a flexible splice contest, but I don’t expect to stick to mugs all the way, as we might tackle other areas of FE-style graphics, like say, Battle Sprites or even gameplay mockups. Future rounds might have limitations to spike the challenge.
The general purpose of this is to add some friendly competition to the site, have fun, and give less experienced spriters a chance to shine and improve. Because what makes people want to improve more than competition?
Note for newcomers to competitions: Don’t be intimidated or think your sprites may not be good enough; competitions are a wild card. Who knows, you just might win, so try your best.
Nevertheless, I still expect experienced spriters to enter.
- Themes are **100% Optional**. Don't feel restricted by the theme if nothing comes to mind, as long as you actually use the resources/guidelines provided. If you make something good, it will be accepted either way. Nevertheless, the theme is present because it helps some spriters work. If people feel the theme is too vague, then I will provide an example/reference.
- There is no particular limit on palettes. Unless stated otherwise, you can use custom palettes and have no limitations on the quantity of colours. Nevertheless, the 16 colour limit is still recommended, as it helps the general cleanliness of the sprite.
- **_No plagiarising of other spriters' work._** This should be a given and self-explanatory rule. Any entries which include blatant plagiarism will be dismissed.
- Sprites made before the Competition are not allowed.
- Even if you submitted your sprites, you are allowed to make edits until the deadline, though not make a completely new submission.
This round's format:Splicing: Format specific rules and guidelines: You are given 2 mandatory mugs to splice, and another 1 of your own choice (which you should state in your post). While the format is splicing, freehanding is accepted, as long as your selection of mugs is clear in the final entry. Again, the theme is not mandatory. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/191717474264285191/306692223628607489/unknown.png This round's theme: "A battle-hardened veteran, his body and equipment equally damaged and weathered from extensive battles."
Edit: My apologies for forgetting the deadline. Added a couple more rules. The deadline is 17th of May, after which we’ll take a week for voting.
- Blue Druid