SPLICE - FEU Splice Competition: Round 13 ~Mob Boss~

Once again… a thread rises from the ashes!
ITS THE FIRE EMBLEM UNIVERSE: SPLICE COMPETITION!

Lets make let the risen and get moving peoples!

(credit: Peer for compilation)
Previous ROUNDS

-OUR CURRENT ROUND-
ROUND 13
SpliceCompEchoes1
Theme: Mob Boss

DEADLINE: Saturday, September 9th at 11:59pm PST.

Please check the latest posts for newest comps and entries!

THE INITIAL INTRO POST:

Welcome to the first new round of the FIRE EMBLEM UNIVERSE: SPLICE COMPETITION!
Now split from the Universal Sprite Competition, lets enjoy some ever popular mug splicing!
-PREVIOUS ROUND-
ROUND 5
FEUSPLICECOMP5
Theme:Roman Epics

DEADLINE: Saturday, February 29th at 11:59pm PST.

PLEASE REVIEW THE RULES IF NECESSARY.
Any further questions or concerns can be PMed to the current host! (Shep) or posted either in the feedback thread or within this thread itself.

Hope you all enjoy and have some fun! Lets get spriting! :smiley:

BASE RULES:

• Only 1 entry per contestant.
  • No voting for your own entry!
  • Entries should be limited to 16 colors. (15 colors+ 1 background color)
    This is more of a guideline, but good to follow for style and challenge reasons. Colors may be custom or using GBA sprite palletes.
  • No posting previous/old works!
    This means no edits/recolors of something previously made as well.
    -allowing previous/old works would give an unfair advantage to certain entries, two weeks is a good amount of time to work on an entry… how fair would it be to have to go up against something someone spent months or even a year on?
    -creating brand new works, encourages creativity and artistic growth and development, kinda what the whole art forums are about… isn’t it?
  • Hosts may participate in the competitions.

SPLICING SPECIFIC RULES:

• The theme is optional. You are not required to stick to the theme provided.
  • MANDATORY: only splice from the mugs provided. You are not required to use pieces from all 4 provided, as 2/4, 3/4, even 1/4 is fine.
  • No large “full custom” (made from scratch) areas, parts, or pieces. The final result should be made of and identifiable to areas from the source mugs. If you feel like your entry may be considered “questionable” to others, you are allowed to post work-in-progress screenshots or other visual proof of your process.*
    (kudos to Lenh for rules description in this area)

VOTING:

• Voting will be split into two categories.
    -Best in Theme
    -Best Overall Sprite
  • Voting will run for 3 days
    If there are a large amount of entries, Best in Theme may be divided into smaller categories based on whether an entry is custom, splice, or for battle sprite animation.

WINNERS:
Winning placement will be decided by total number of votes across categories.

• The winner gets to choose two potential themes either from a list or of their own imagination.
  • The winner and runner ups will vote upon the themes to select one.
  • Third place gets one vote.
  • Second place gets two votes.
  • The winner gets the final two votes in addition to theme selection.
  • Whichever theme wins will be used for the next competition.
    Note, votes can be split, if you have two votes they do NOT need to go to the same theme.

The purpose of these friendly competitions is for artistic development but also to help develop more resources for later projects… there is no monetary prize here, but I hope you all enjoy participating and winning those sweet bragging rights!

9 Likes

In regards to “Roman Epics”:

if you want to just ref Roman culture in general, check out images of films like Spartacus, Gladiator, Ben Hur, Julius Caesar, Life of Brian, Cleopatra for examples.

For Actual Roman Epics, there’s Ovid and the Metamorphoses, as well as Virgil and the Aeneid
http://people.virginia.edu/~jdk3t/epicintrog/metamor.htm

3 Likes

Not really epic but here’s my roman lady
romanlady

and WIP

romanladywip

31 Likes

Yahhoo

Old WIP

YahhooWIP

10 Likes

Okay, even this early into the challenge, we can already guess that Melia will definitely win this challenge, or at least come close. Her splice is just amazing.

But do you know what her submission doesn’t have?

A GOSH DARN MONOCLE.
monocle

If somebody wants to go through the trouble of making frames for this guy, he’s free to use.

7 Likes

A Mom character i guess
4%20Kopie9

The Wips

here

4%20Kopie 4%20Kopie5

3 Likes

Because not all epics earn the title on the battlefield:
roman%20epic%20mug

wip

My wip files are always a mess, but here’s the summation of how this all started:
roman%20epic%20mug%20wip

18 Likes

Thingamajig
New%20Piskel%20(4)

wip

New%20Piskel

2 Likes

Roman prince? idk
Roman%20Epic%20done

rough draft

Roman%20Epic%20draft

7 Likes

Green boyo

the WIP boyo

10 Likes

A spy or something
Splice%20Comp%20Entry

6 Likes

Had a fun time with this set. WIP’s a bit boring, though.
Fe8%20styled%20thief%20person

WIPtacular

SHorter%20thiefy%20person%20in%20box%20for%20gimp

10 Likes

What counts as custom made part? I have blinking and mouth frames on my mug, but the thing is both of them are based on Lenh’s FE6 blinking and mouth frames. Do I need to remove them in order to participate?

2 Likes

The custom rule is made in response to old Serenes Forest entries that were made by top-tier spriters, their entries would often-time barely resemble the original set of mugs and involve a lot of re-drawing suggested elements and re-shading.

Customes elements are just for the portrait. Frames and mini does not count in the contest

Thanks for the replies NickT and Melia. This is the first time I enter this contest, so I wasn’t fully aware of the rules and how they apply.

With all of that being said, here’s my entry.
finished
I wanted to include the frames because even if I didn’t end up doing well in the contest,
the mug is still free to use.

WIP

wipp

13 Likes

poetry time
smallroman

original wip

wiproman

EDIT: slightly changed some of the shading

10 Likes

Centurion
To be honest, I’m not even sure if this counts as a splice anymore.

WIPs:

4 Likes

Last day peoples!
EDIT: Entries are closed, voting thread will be up later!

Any idea of when the voting thread will go up? I’d like to see Melia’s inevitable victory what the community opinion is on all our entries.

1 Like