FEU Community Map Passalong: ROUND 6 FINISHED

Hey all! We on the FEU Discord recently tried out a new mapping format, and now, it’s becoming a real event. Behold, the Map Passalong, Round Zero:

Original map

We used the Mountainous 2 palette for some reason, which is really ugly, so the main showcase is in Mountainous 1.

RULES

• The event will take place over Discord, because organizing something of this nature over a forum would be extremely slow, and make it difficult to deal with things like inactive contributors. This thread only exists for housing the rules, showcasing and discussing the round results, and generating interest in the event.

• Every individual piece is the size of one GBA screen (15x10 map tiles). The host will (randomly or not) distribute these screens between the entrants and start the round.

• Mappers are allowed to edit only the screen(s) that they have been assigned. After finishing their screen, the mapper will send the .tmx file to whoever is available at the time. There is no predetermined order, which should generate some amount of chaos and make the end result more unpredictable.

• The map will only be publicly revealed once every screen has been mapped. Mappers are not allowed to post pictures or the source file publicly until this moment.

• Don’t put tile changes in the map! Some map editors (FEBuilderGBA, FE Map Creator) are unable to open .tmx files if there are tile changes from other editors.

ROUND 1

The tileset for ROUND 1 is:
FE8 Castle 2

To enter, simply join the FEU Discord server and state your interest in the cartography channel.

17 Likes

Round 1 has concluded!

Escher’s Castle

Maybe the real height errors were the friends we made along the way.

Screen distribution:

Round 2 will occur this upcoming weekend. See opening post for rules and how to sign up.
The tileset for ROUND 2 will be:
Frontier by WAve, with some edits by me, Venno, and Zoramine

11 Likes

Round 2 has concluded!

Cliffhanger

type L in chat to blame apparoid for that one peak tile

Screen distribution:

Round 3 will occur this upcoming weekend. See opening post for rules and how to sign up.
The tileset for ROUND 3 will be:
Golden Black Temple by Feaw

8 Likes

Round 3 has concluded! (at last)

Dragon Statue Warehouse

Screen distribution:

Round 4 will occur [Date Not Decided]. See opening post for rules and how to sign up.
The tileset for ROUND 4 will be:
Fields [Palette Not Decided]

6 Likes

Round 4 of the FEU Community Map Passalong will occur this week, starting today. See opening post for rules and how to sign up.

Tile tileset for ROUND 4 will be:
FE6 Desert

3 Likes

Round 4 has concluded!

Champagne Supernova

Screen distribution:

Round 5 will occur this upcoming week, starting Monday. See opening post for rules and how to sign up.
The tileset for ROUND 5 will be:
To Be Added

12 Likes

well, that was a lie
anyway it’s happening this week I promise

The tileset for ROUND 5 will be:
Crimean Fields, originally by pandan, heavily edited by me

5 Likes

Most portraits submitted to community events are F2U. Are these maps F2U, or is it just for fun?

We’ve had a brief discussion about this on the Discord before, but the short answer is no.

The detailed answer is

• When this event started, I didn’t put any indication that these maps would be free to use, so it would be unfair to the participants to make that decision now
  • Most if not all of these maps are too big to even be insertable to GBAFE, and some of them use tilesets that are not designed to be insertable
  • Some of the participants (including myself, the host) strongly hold the belief that F2U maps are unhealthy for the community, no one wants to experience the same maps in multiple hacks - imagine if you played Super Mario World hacks and they all had the same levels

If this ever changes, I’ll update the opening post to reflect that.

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more with this take. There is a clear distinction between using f2u/e portraits and animations and f2u/e maps.

Maps can not be transformed the way that portraits and animations can, they don’t have personalities and can’t be easily spliced. Along with that, portraits and animations are purely visual. Someone who is bored of seeing the Honeydew portrait could just not use the character said portrait is attached to and it won’t affect their experience with the hack.
Maps are a different story. While yes enemy placement and player positioning is important to a map, the maps design is still fundamental to the experience. You cant ignore the Champagne Supernova of the hack, it’s a chapter that you have to play through.

This also in a way makes it much harder for new hackers to actually know how to design their game, the fundamental aspect of the craft. If you give new hackers usable maps to fall back on it won’t force them to ever make maps of their own, leading to stagnation and less of a drive to ever attempt doing so since their project likely wouldn’t get the feedback to motivate the creator since again, you can’t skip maps and no one wants to play the same map in completely different hacks.

4 Likes

Round 5 has concluded!

Fields of Fervor

Screen distribution:

Round 6 will occur this upcoming week, starting Monday. See opening post for rules and how to sign up.
The tileset for ROUND 6 will be:
Snow Fields by N426 (and I believe some other people, who aren’t credited in the repo), with the palette slightly modified specifically for this event by Maximus03

10 Likes

Round 6 has concluded!

Kold Hard Krash

Screen distribution:

Round 7 will occur [Not Yet Decided]. See opening post for rules and how to sign up.
The tileset for ROUND 7 will be: [Not Yet Decided]

9 Likes