Final Fantasy VIII Squall

Dissidia Squall with Revolver

Dissidia Squall with Lionheart

3 Likes

“it’s leon”
“yeah whatever squall”
(great mercenary edits)

2 Likes

heya, i just did some stuff about Guilty Gear.
here’s different versions of Ky Kiske, credit for the base mug sprite goes to Buskhusker( i wonder if he’s on FEU too? ), i just added eyes/mouth frames and edited some details:

Guilty Gear

GG Xrd ( not sure if it’s fully compatible though, that extra hair goes out of the default limit box )

GG Strive

and of course, i couldn’t let him alone without his own Strive battle stance:

also, source material:

Summary

5 Likes

made a couple of battle frames based on Metroid titles for GBA.
the first version is more compact and detailed, while the 2nd one is more dynamic.
overall, i like them both, but for “cinematic” battle sequences, the 2nd one is probably better:

[edit] plus a little demo:

12 Likes

“I never cared about justice, and I don’t recall ever calling myself a hero… I have always only fought for the people I believe in.”

that would be Zero from the Megaman GBA era.
i’ll also leave a little extra here~

7 Likes

made another battle frame, this time inspired by Rocket Knight Sparkster:

10 Likes

I’m amazed how the battle screen uses no more than 16 colours. That’s really impressive.

1 Like

Ware wa messiah nari! Hahahah–
Oh, wait, wrong Zero.

Silly Mahendradatta, that’s Omega.

1 Like

Still a Zero. (?)

made a thing inspired by an anime movie i recently watched called “Belle”. here’s the protagonist:

doing the mouth frames was partially a nightmare due to shading them female lips( no offense, ladies ), but in the end i managed to do it somehow.

6 Likes

oh hey, i just fixed few minor details for a couple of sprites in the main gallery.
also, i heard some people were looking for dragon mugs, so i decided to rework an old one that i made before:

7 Likes

after watching some Metroid Dread videos, i gotta say the game looks quite fun.
therefore, i got inspired enough to make something about Samus:

4 Likes

Oh, I was actually going to share an edit I made to the old one that utilizes the hackbox and has some other changes. I moved the nose and horn to the hack area, I changed the eyes to use the “forward-looking” sprite with a small edit to the vanilla game’s blinking frames, I removed the black border on the minimug, and I flipped the portrait to face left so it matches the standard direction.
(As for what’s going on with the mouth frames, that’s a cover up for an incompatibility between the FE7 hackbox hack and blinking status screen portrait patch. Since making actual mouth frames for a face this wide is highly difficult, I figure this won’t hurt anything for other uses.)

Portrait Editor Fire Emblem (Dragon).gba_234@EA Dragon_011950E0

I do not intend for this to be a replacement. I know this has quite a bit of my personal opinions attached, so I only offer it as an alternative. If you are fine with it, I will upload it to the repo thread as an alternative style.

I don’t mean to be all business, though. You are an excellent pixel artist, and l am grateful for your creativity with this dragon portrait!

i don’t want to sound mean, but i believe Klok recently said something about not willing to add similar mug versions of existing works to the repo in case they just had minor changes or color swaps.
but hey, you can always ask him directly i guess.

as for that mug: it could work as an alternative, however it also requires a bit of polish, especially on the horn and the mouth frames.
you could just use the fangs as a placeholder and it should be more than enough, but that horn on the right doesn’t really look good because the border is clearly cut off.
you could either work on it to reduce the overall size, or you could eventually change its shape like i previously did. choice is yours~

1 Like

The intent is that if someone wished to use it in a hack, they could use the hackbox extension patch to re-place the horn parts, so it would not actually be cut-off in game. Here is how it would look:
3f89c1b3a02efd0a7aefff264fbb5bf54c2a17c9-1.png

2 Likes

Like knabepicer said, the hackbox extension would let the user align the horns to their correct place. Here’s a screenshot of it in-game:

Similarly, the mouth frames can be placed almost anywhere, so they can act as a cover up or even as extra hackbox coverage. There are caveats to using it in such a way, but for this particular portrait the mouth frames are causing no visual issues.
I have sent Klok a DM asking about his stance on hackbox-oriented submissions, so that’s that side underway. Assuming he is fine with this portrait edit, would you be OK with me posting it to the public repo as an alternative option? It is your base work, after all. Even if it is free to edit, l’d feel weird about uploading it without your express permission.

1 Like

i see. i’m not very familiar with hacking tools, so i assumed the default hack box was the only available asset. i had no idea something like that existed.
i’d like to know more about that extension patch though, because that would actually give more freedom to spriters.

yeah, i’m ok with it.
if you get the green light from Klok, feel free to post it in the public repo~

1 Like

Maybe I haven’t checked around FEU for a long time, but after looking at your first post, I realized you were in Serenes!
Good aort keep it up man

yep, i’ve been there before. i still go there once in a while, mainly to check infos and news about FE.
sadly, spriting is pretty much dead at Serenes, and the community overall has become worse compared to what it was years ago.
i prefer FEU’s platform way more for different reasons.

anyway, here’s some more Samus. or rather, SA-X:

1 Like