FEBuilder Character Editor only half works

I’ve been editing FE8’s characters quite a bit recently. I set Marisa to be a Lv 1 swordmaster instead of a Lv 5 myrmidon, and also buffed her bases and growths. Then I wrote the changes to the ROM and, when I played it, Marisa did get the new bases but her class and level were still vanilla. The same thing happened when I edited L’Arachel to be a Lv 1 Valkyrie with increased bases - bases did change but not level and class. And also happened to Milady when I edited an FE6 ROM.

Did this happen to someone else?

Did you check your Unit Placer? If Marisa is set as lv 5 Myrmidon there, that’s what she will be when she appears on the map.

You have to change the class and level on the unit placer in whatever chapter they join in. Changing character class in the character creator only shows what class they will appear as in the Support menu, as for level, I’m… Not too sure myself what the game uses it for.

If you want to make L’Arachel a level 1 Valkyrie, go to unit placer in Creeping Darkness and Pirate Ship and set it there

Thanks you two, I had no idea I had to go through the unit placer. I assumed the character editor data automatically told the unit placer what class and level the units have, but apparently not.

The character editor sets the initial level of the unit.
It is usually set to Lv1.
In the Unit Placer, you specify the actual level.
When you select AutoLevel in the Unit Placer, the unit will automatically grow from its initial level to the level you specify in the Unit Placer.

If you specify Lv1 in the Character Editor and enable AutoLevel by specifying Lv10 in UnitPlacer, the unit will level up “10 - 1 = 9” 9 times using the growth rate of the unit’s class grow.
This feature is used to add some random element to the enemy’s parameters.

What happens if the Unit Placer level is lower than the Character Editor level?

Then they just wouldn’t get autolevels, I imagine.

Ohh, thank you! I didn’t know that’s what the level was for. That’s actually really cool!