[FE8] [WIP] The Taslan Wars [15 Total Chapters]

Project Post Here, Seeking to delete post

10 Likes

I’m not a huge of fan of the ambush spawn reinforcements. I don’t mind being on a timer, but I’d like some indication for how much or little time I have. Maybe this is mentioned somewhere in each chapter, but I skipped most of the text - if it was in fact mentioned there, that is my bad.

I also found Ron to be a bit too much on the weak side for my taste: the first chapter largely consists of lance users who have WTA against him. He doesn’t fare very well stats-wise either, dealing single digit damage once, whereas he can easily get one- or two-shot. Rapier is his only saving grace, but it only has so many uses. Eliwood on the other hand is probably even better combat unit than the so-called Jagen unit all thanks to Reginleif being absolutely insane this early on.

I don’t understand the rationale behind the archer and the mage having so low con - it’s just 3. Perhaps that’s because they’re supposed to be easier to rescue? If so, you could probably increase it and it’d still work just fine. I also would’ve preferred to know about the pirates and generals before the preps. Maybe I should have known something’s up when there’s a shortcut so close to the escape tile?

As of now I do think the game relies too heavily on blindsiding the player for the challenge to be satisfying to overcome. I did like that you’ll get strong weapons early on, though, but that wasn’t enough to keep me hooked.

There are a few indications of ambush spawns, but I should add a little more. Since I know what the timer is, it’s not as much of a problem for me, but I can see why it’s frustrating not knowing how fast you have to complete the objectives.

Ron is weak because Eliwood is absoltuely insane, and I’ve always enjoyed lords who are weak entirely. Ron’s defense is pretty balanced, but every update, I do find myself adding more hp so he can actually survive 1 hit. The thing to keep in mind, though, is that Ron shouldn’t really be facing much if any combat, saving weapon uses and his life. People usually like training main lords, though, so I think I’ll give his rapier more uses and give him more hp.

The low con is to balance speed with weapons, but thoses guys hit and run anyways, so I should give them a little more bulk. They used to suck even more, but I wanted to give the player more ways to deal with each chapter. I should probs slightly buff them again.

Seems like the main issue is that, like you said, the challenge revolves around suprising the player. It makes sense sometimes, but I need to work on making the actual time limit more of a challenge than the consequences for not dealing with a challenge, if that makes any sense. Thank you for the feedback.

v0.3 Updates:

• 7 new chapters

• 12 new playable characters

• Added most of the standard QOL features

• A now fully fleshed out story (see OP)

• Fixed many issues

• Balanced all past chapters

• A lot of new stat boosting items and personal weapons

(See changelog for an exhaustive list of changes)

All the other important info is in the OP, but editing it doesn’t bump the topic anymore.

1 Like