[FE8] Terror Of The Forest (FINAL CHAPTER OUT)

Looks really good uwu
Hope you finish it, gl!

Thanks ! It really means a lot !
If you ever decide to give it a try, please tell me what you thought about it !

@Scraiza This should be the true title of your hack, but it seems someone else has swooped in and taken it.

1 Like

New hacks is always welcome here.

@Scraiza This should be the true title of your hack, but it seems someone else has swooped in and taken it.

Oh, well… Great minds think alike, don’t they ?

New hacks is always welcome here.

Thanks ! I was afraid there would be some kind of hack overdose these days, given how many people are given the opportunity to make their stories come true. Glad to hear that !

1 Like

Welcome to FEU. Showing up with a patch for your project is always a good sign. Would you be interested in submitting it to FEE3, the yearly community showcase? All projects are welcome.

Okay, (first) new update ! I have released a version fixing the most important and annoying bugs. Although, with my computer dying on me last week, I’ve lost a lot of progress, I hope y’all will appreciate the newest version !

1 Like

Finally ! After what seemed like an eternity, I have made an update I’m proud enough to share ! Remaking Ch5x was the main goal, and took me a whole lot of time (In total, I’ve changed it more than 5 times)

I hope some of you will have the patience to play through the game again, and that you will enjoy it ! If you have any feedback, I’d be more than glad to listen to it !

6 Likes

Playing through this now. Gotta say, this hack is a fun little thing so far!

No mounted units on both sides? Interesting maneuver.

I’ll have some feedback ready in a bit.

That’s great ! I’m glad you’re enjoying the hack so far, and I’m eager to see your feedback !

Alright here’s my feedback so far. I believe I made my way up to Greed is a Mad Mistress.

Thoughts so Far (Note: Contains Spoilers):

So uh, there are a few bugs, but nothing that’s particularly game-breaking. (Mainly that the text for I think Armaduro and whatnot when they show up doesn’t disappear after they emerge; it stays when ‘Enemy phase’ comes up on screen.). Oh, and the sound room seems to have a bit of trouble keeping track of what songs you’ve encountered.

I like the tone of this hack (and I would be willing to go through the rom and correct any kind of spelling for you if you like.) a lot. Personally, I like Sylvester- you’ve done a good job of putting up the character of this guy who’s surprisingly likable, while also being, you know, still a Brigand. (He’s arguably one of the strongest units once he gets going also, in my experience.).

I also like how you do paint the medium in the sense that most of the class descriptions all sound like they were written by Sylvester. (Since he is telling the story, after all.). Those little narrative touches like that all give the hack a nice comedy tone.

Love the choice of music you picked. Hearing the theme for Papers Please is always a nice surprise.

Now, onto the gameplay…

Having no mounts like horses and flying units on either side is honestly an interesting game concept; because it means that you can’t rely on the usual OP shenanigans that cavaliers and units like that would provide.

This sounds like gameplay would be a lot slower because of it, but the way the maps are set up, it generally doesn’t feel like a slog. (I do like how in the Prison Break chapter, for example, you actually have an immediate shortcut that can allow you to defeat the boss quickly, or else take a longer route to it for better rewards.).

Armor Knights having four move, for example, seems a lot less prominent when (at least in my experience), the maps are generally short enough to where they don’t feel as outpaced by the army as they might normally. (Armaduro having good bases, if weird growths, helps as well.).

Now, as for my main complaint gameplay wise… it has to be how strict gold appears to be. Like, for now, it’s fine, but I am beginning to worry a bit about running out of weapons.

(Also, although you have a Supply, which I appreciate, I do find it a bit confusing that we can’t access it during an actual battle.).

Greed is a Mad Mistress so far is the chapter I have complaints for- mainly if you’re trying to actually level up Lucy. (Which reminds me, her Beginner’s Prf. for some reason has the description for Barricade+; which I assume is a mistake since going by how it looks, it’s supposed to be a Promotion item for her, I think?).

Anyways, I say this because Lucy really, really starts off in a bad spot. (Thank god you can talk to her three times with Sylvester in the same turn to recruit her; idk if that’s a bug or not, but if this wasn’t the case, I’d feel like it get irritating fast, somehow.).

Lucy herself is… well… she’s a weak little Recruit, and there are lots of enemies that can utterly rip her apart if you’re not careful. (I find it takes a Rally Str. from Batto to get her to do decent damage, and generally a Rally Defense from Sylvester to give her some way of surviving what comes at her.).

Like I understand she’s supposed to be bad, and then you train her up to be good, but her low defenses and (initially) low power in a hack that (seemingly) favors a more aggressive playstyle makes training her a particularly hellish exercise. (She can’t even double an Archer with a Steel Bow when she’s holding her Slim Lance at base level; which is really sad considering he only effectively has 3 Speed, and she has four.).

Even the enemy sword units she has WTA can either double her, or else will generally tear her apart in two or three hits.

Also, the healer you get in that chapter is… honestly, I don’t see the appeal in using him unless you either lost the female one you got earlier, or you want two healers. He’s… well, not that good at his job (which I get given his backstory), and his personal Skill compared to the female healer’s is pretty much useless until he promotes. (Because he can’t defeat enemies.).

Sure, he’s tankier, but healers aren’t supposed to be taking hits to begin with; so it’s kinda lost on him. (Personally, I think that if he joined as like, say, a Bishop or something he’d be much better because he at least can fight.).

Also, that guy who heads into the arena and you recruit by heading in there is a bit… too close to the boss. Like, I haven’t recruited him yet, but I hope that the boss doesn’t move; otherwise, there’s going to be a problem here…

Anyways, that’s all for now!

2 Likes

More Feedback:

Thoughts on 5 and 5x:

At the end of Greed is a Mad Mistress, why do we not get any gold to use in the next fight?! Especially since we never used it to pay the innkeeper?!

Also, the new journeyman trainee, Marty… those bases and those growths… oh man; at least Lucy had a decent Skill and Luck growth.

Luna doesn’t mean crap if he can’t hit shit when it counts. (And unlike Lucy, he doesn’t come with a promo item.).

Chapter 5 as well… that Purge tome… the one in the room next to the light mages…

I just recruited the freaking Light Mage… hell, Achille did it because he’s the only one who can use lockpicks…

That light mage even bragged about it…

So why the hell does he not remember that they have someone who can use the Purge?! (Okay so maybe it’s cause she doesn’t have the weapon rank for it, and there was that creepy feeling, but still…)

Also putting Counter on that Swordmaster dude is evil. Evil and Clever.

Thank god that Hero is so goddamn strong…

Oh and also some bugs from Chapter 5:
Sally and Sylvester’s Talk convo just plays Achille’s recruitment convo with her.

Achille’s words to Marty at one point have this weird [ ] effect.

As for 5x…

The only thing I’m going to say about is that Battle Against a True Hero is a really good choice to use for the map theme.

(As well as how I personally feel like Arnold and company are a bunch of assholes.).

that’s not yours to distribute blood

5 Likes

you’re scaring me because there’s no :b:ontext

1 Like

Alright, new update!

I’m trying to improve on a lot of things, but the gameplay is still lackluster… I need as many playtesters as possible, so if you don’t know what to do of your summer vacations, then search no further!

Pretty weird some entombed have 3X hp but some has 51 hp
And they give too much exp (u can ude void curse skill or nerf their level to avoid playables getting a level per kill) my team has a bunch of lv20 but no promotional item now lol
Enemy turn still progresses slowly (maybe they run in the FOW slowly (zombs)) and Arnold can swim somehow
(I think i saw someone not mentioned in the excel file’s portrait again in batto caza support)
Does the late joinets get better growth but kinda low bases?
Second Secret character appeared yet?
Hero desc didnt include lances too
Yami nearly capped level bruh
Sry by discord acc had problems so couldnt log in there

Is anyone also stupid to a point they watched the full Johnny dialogue?
Who is this shirley and the guy under the closet wtf kinda creeper (aww man)
So since grace die and chapter will end and zugma (and dick) cant swim, arnolf cant carry zugma there too, so u cant get the chest?
Wot if sophoa nuked nikage at first turn lol (that was so muda)

Actually calcium can be obtained from bones

So… Sylv is someone who joined the game’s uncle?

Wait am I supposed to try ch14? The boss had physical weapon ranks, and no weapon equipped
And satsujin starts at lv0 and full skill and speed? Lol other 2 guys too
And trashie has no mag growth only str lol (10 spd u must be kidding) nvm just the average druid u will see
Btw ch21 is finalr right? U need to add more stat boosted promoted enemies

I love the character description! I love to see that this hack will be completed! Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback! I’ve corrected a few of the issues you’ve mentioned (Especially those from Ch14 characters)
It sucks that you can’t connect to discord anymore… Hope you find a solution soon.

(Also I changed back to 16 chapters because I’m a big dumb stupid guy that can’t count)

prologue counted I think?
no, still waiting for the appeal for account
totf_1594435124487
So a unit will disappear somehow overlapped with that fighter
If u pin the unit from unit menu it will cause the cursor to disappear
(Wtf is trashie speed and con, doomed to get doubled everyday)
Why does rhoam has excalibur in his inventory and anima+sword rank
Arya had staff and anima rank???
Btw what i mean stronger promoted units i mean those who has more decent stat distributed around (so wont get dounled that often and can hit consistenely)
Not just in one stat so 22 mag with tomefaire mages can one shot sylvester (30 def is rather acceptable in my opinion cuz u can ude mages to bypass)

I encountered an issue in Chapter 7. I can’t initiate Valkyr’s recruitment conversation (checking on Sylvester’s page after talking to Igor, it says “Talk - - -”). Might it have something to do with not having spoken with Alyssa yet?