[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 254 skills done, more on the way

There’s already a skill called Nature Rush

If unit is on rough terrain, unit gains +2 Mov.

How these types of skills work is that they check for specific terrain IDs, and then they apply a specific stat boost.

You could copy the code for this skill and modify it so it gives the boosts you want.

3 Likes

Yeah It would works but I don’t know how to do it
That’s why I asked for someone else to do it instead
I never edited something like this before and I have a terrible fear of doing something wrong.
If you know how to do it I would appreciate a lot if you teach me step by step by direct message. Even better if it’s by Discord via.
Also
Thanks for replying
Those skills would helps a lot my project

How does the Devil’s Luck skill work. It says “Immune to Devil Reversal. Gives unit’s Devil Reversal to the enemy. (31-Luck % chance of Devil Reversal).” So that means the enemy has a chance to backfire and kill themself? That seems absurdly over powered, especially factoring in how low enemy luck typically is. And what about Devil’s Pact? It sounds like it does the exact same thing. I just want a simple skill that makes its user immune to a Devil Weapon backfiring. If Devil’s Luck is functioning as it seems to be described, how can I disable the mirrored Devil Reversal and just leave it as a skill that uncomplicated let’s a unit use Devil Weapons without fear?

Devil’s Pact will always give the enemy a chance of backfire. Devil’s Luck will only give the enemy backfire if the unit is wielding a devil weapon.
If you want a skill that just gives the character devil immunity, edit the file for the devil proc accordingly. There’s tutorials for asm/skill creation that can explain better than I can here.

1 Like

Would that be overwritten when I update FE Builder.

No. Updating FE Builder doesn’t change your rom data

I’m guessing in order to achieve what I want, I would take this piece of code
@check if defender has DevilsLuck
mov r0,r5
ldr r1,DevilsLuckID
ldr r3,SkillTester
mov lr,r3
.short 0xF800
cmp r0,#1
beq isDevil

noLuck:

And remove the beq isDevil.

You say you can’t explain it yourself, but can you link to a good tutorial that can teach me where and how to edit this code?

GBAFE Assembly for Dummies, by Dummies - Tutorials - Fire Emblem Universe (feuniverse.us)

1 Like

Hum, can someone take a look at the Vengeance and Skybreaker skills? I’ve recently played FE6 in FE8 and both didn’t work. It also happened to me prior in Sacred Trilogy. Skybreaker straight up doesn’t work. Vengeance keeps getting these weird missfires where i either get the animation but not the bonus damage, or i get a display of 3-digit damage but it doesn’t tranlaste to my damage dealt.

Skybreaker requires both that effectiveness rework is enabled and that class types are properly configured. Default febuilder installations do not have effectiveness rework enabled.
If Vengeance procs at a point where the unit with the skill has not taken any damage during the battle, it’s not going to give any bonus damage since it adds half of damage taken during the battle and half of 0 is 0. I don’t understand what you mean by display of 3-digit damage, do you have more information on the conditions that cause that to happen?

Basically, when playing Sacred Trilogy and even FE6 in FE8, i’ve had EP turns where i’d take a hit from an enemy and once the next enemy showed up for another round of combat i’d see the display for damage in the triple digits…which never matched up to the actual damage i did. Or in some cases i’d get the Vengeance visuals, but the enemy was already going to die from my regular second hit and then once the next enemy showed up, i’d get a triple digit damage display on the screen, but it didn’t match the damage i was actually dealing.

@Sme Arena fight, Clarine misses first hit, Druid procs Vengeance, no extra damage, despite the display showing 107 damage.

Clarine hits on the second time, second Vengeance proc ensues and then the damage is 107.

This was in the FE6 in FE8 hack, but this also happened in the Sacred Trilogy hack, both more than once. It wasn’t the most common thing, but it was around a 30% chance of happening. In other cases, where the damage on the display was shown as normal, the skill would never deal extra damage even if i hit someone/got hit and Vengeance triggered.

1 Like

@Sme it seems like, after the ‘Bane & Eclipse Cleanup’, Bane no longer checks whether you have the skill or not, causing it to trigger with any character.

2 Likes

oops. fixed

3 Likes

How would one go about using Custom Skill Build in FEBuilder with the current source? Or is it just not possible anymore?

It’s very much possible. I’ve been making my hack this way.

Just run the custom build, and then open the Rom in FEBuilder. Make sure to read carefully the config file, as some hacks can conflict if you install them separately. So it’s easier to install them when making the custom build.

I tried that but I’m still getting errors up the ass

Try looking at the log to see where errors are coming from. You could copy-paste it and ask in the Discord server for help.

At no point in time has the skill system buildfile been natively compatible with custom builds. Custom builds work differently, but you can largely copy over existing buildfile content into the custom build to use it there. See the FEBuilderGBA guide on custom builds for getting started with that.

1 Like

Still looking for an icon for this skill if anyone would like to make one.

Additionally I’ve just made Exp Share a skill and would like an icon for it. Currently using Someone’s icon for Quick Learner.

mGBA_CAtzWrsy7p

Thanks. Will make a PR when I have these icons.

7 Likes