[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 404 skills done, more on the way

Hello. Slightly confused as to how to install this. Could someone explain in slightly more detail about how to go about it? I can’t get it to work.
Thanks in advance.

Clone the github repository, put a clean FE8U ROM in the root folder (same folder as ROMBuildfile.event) and name it FE8_clean.gba, and double click MAKE_HACK_full.

If you’re using FEBuilder, there’s a patch you can install.

Thank you for the quick reply, I can’t use FEbuilder because I need a working gaiden spell system as well as skills. Can you reopen the patched rom in FEBuilder afterwards though?

Yes, you can.

Though the latest version FEBuilder’s skill system has gaiden magic included. To install it, make sure you have the latest version ot FEBuilder, then install the version of the skill system with the latest date on it.

After that, there should be a menu for gaiden magic yiu can use in the advanced editor or the patches menu (I don’t know which off the top of my head)

Gaiden spells use double the cost with the latest version on FEBuilder. It deals the HP cost after combat as well as in combat.

Yeah, it’s a known issue. FEBuilder’s version will be updated with that fix sometime this year, but if you want the fix now, starting with the buildfile version can work.

Just be careful as FEBuilder expects things to be just so with the skill system (Which is why it has its own version), so you might run into some issues.

Good luck.

Thank you. I appreciate the help. :slight_smile:

Ok, so here’s an idea for a skill that I think no one else has made yet

Re-Equip (name might be changed)

After combat, unit equips the next available weapon (if applicable)

So, how it works is, If a unit has more than one weapon, and initiates combat, after combat they will equip the next weapon in their inventory. It only works on the unit’s phase. Ideally, it should account for TRUE player phase/enemy phase, regardless of Vantage.

For example:
A Hero has an Iron Axe, an Iron Sword, and a Hand Axe. In that order. They attack with the Iron Axe, and after combat, the order of the weapons is now Iron Sword, Iron Axe, Handaxe.

Another example:
Let’s take the same Hero, with the same inventory. Iron Axe, Iron Sword, Hand Axe. But now the Hero initiates combat with the Hand Axe.
Normally, after combat, their inventory would change it’s order to reflect the new equiped weapon: Handaxe, Iron Axe, Iron Sword. But now, the skill triggers AFTER this calculation, and equips the Iron Axe again. And the new order of the inventory is Iron Axe, Hand Axe, Iron Sword.

The skill would obviously skip over weapons that the unit cannot use, due to either rank, or weapon lock. The skill would also not take into account low durability of weapons, and would swap to one regardless.

1 Like

That sounds like a hell of a pain in the ass to program, but it’s interesting anyways

1 Like

Honestly before adding new skills, maybe work on reworking/removing the gag skills on the patch.

• Amische: Can only use iron weapons, but gain extra might, crit and avoid.

• Nice Thighs: Maybe a buff for male allies, like Demoiselle works?

• Nice Personality: Make it a debuff against male enemies?

• Random Mug: I’d just remove this, I have no idea what to replace it with

1 Like

How about a gag skill for dudes?
I propose for “Nice Pecs”

1 Like

Those skills can be defined as 255 and their IDs replaced by other skills.

Personally, since skillsys is designed to be modified, I don’t mind joke skills chilling out.

Also, nice thighs and nice personality do have a use:

## SD_Cultured
Cultured: If attacking next to a unit[N]
with Nice Thighs, move again.[N]
-50 hit against units with Nice Thighs.[X]
## SD_Thighdeology
Thighdeology: If a unit within[N]
3 tiles has Nice Thighs, gain[N]
+2 Attack and +20 Hit.[X]
## SD_Thotslayer
Thotslayer: +15 crit against units[N]
with Nice Thighs or Personality.[X]
2 Likes

Alright. Now that Engage is out, there are some very interesting skills that we could port over. So I’ll point out the most interesting ones:

Breaker skills: (They work differently in Engage)

If unit’s HP is 50% or higher at start of combat and foe has a [weapon type] equipped, unit can follow up and foe cannot follow up.

This is basically a conditional Quick Riposite, so it’s bound to be very interesting.

Unyielding:

At start of player phase, if HP is 20% or less, restores 20% of unit’s max HP.

Override:

Use to attack and move through a line of adjacent foes. Sword/lance only.

Essentially, it acts like Lunge, but it brings the attacking unit to the other side of the enemy, like Pivot, instead of swaping them.

Echo:

Use to attack with magic at 50% damage. Use a second time to launch another 50% attack.

Arms Shield:

When unit has weapon advantage, unit takes 3 less damage.

Adaptable:

If foe initiates combat, unit counters with the best weapon available (in terms of range, weapon advantage, effective bonus, etc.).

I already suggested something similar to this on my previous reply on this topic, but less overpowered

Alacrity:

If unit initiates combat with a Spd advantage of 9 or more, unit’s follow-up (if possible) occurs before foe can counterattack.

Desperation, but with a speed requirement instead of HP

Trained to Kill: (Yunaka’s personal skill)

While unit occupies terrain that provides an Avo bonus, grants Crit+15.

This one could be changed to work on all terrains that have a bonus to stats

Pincer Attack:

If unit initiates combat while an ally is on the opposite side of the foe, always follow up (if weapon allows).

Draw Back:

Use to move 1 space away from adjacent ally and pull the ally along.

Those are all the skills that cought my attention. If you wanna see all the skills in Engage, HERE’s a list. What skills do you guys find the most interesting? And which ones do you wish we could port to the GBA?

3 Likes

Most of these are already in, in some way or another, albeit in more primitive ways. That being said, a inclusion of the break mechanic into the base weapon triangle and subsequent inclusion of Unbreakable would be a nice addition, as it revitalizes the weapon triangle itself and armor knights as a class without the need to bloat out their stats. Maybe Merciless aswell…but overall i find the skill spread of this particular game to be somewhat lacking.

3 Likes

Would love to see some TRS skills in the Skill system. One that comes to mind particularly would be:
Mug/Guilty Heart:
Upon defeating an enemy, you get all of their Items. But all player units within 3 tiles of this unit get -50 hit and avoid.

For reference, this is Maerchen, the unit with the skill. Although there is a mug skill scroll which you can teach to anyone, in the game

1 Like

Ah, on Alice’s mention I do wonder if the ‘Smash’ function from Engage would work as a skill? Basically a shove if the hit connects probably. Perhaps even just the whole function of those blades and greatlances/axes only allowing a single hit and always being last to attack as well. (Maybe ‘Smash’ by itself and the the whole thing as separate skills for versatility?)

Perhaps Marth’s Divine Speed would be fun too, if you initiate the battle you’ll get an extra attack tacked on for half damage.

Hmmmm… Break Defences could also be fun… Without the proper break mechanic, maybe just if you initiate, have a weapon triangle advantage and you hit the enemy?

…I just rather like extra hits, hehehe.

Roy’s Hold Out skill could be of interest, being what I consider a better Miracle.

1 Like

Hold Out is quite literally exactly like SkillSys Miracle, but with a different HP threshold. I belive regular miracle also exists in engage, but it’s the useless trigger% chance one

2 Likes

Unlike Miracle, Hold Out also nullifies any incoming further damage in the same battle if it has activated, hehehe.

1 Like

Ohhh. I didn’t know that. So it’s straight up better miracle

1 Like

Hi. There’s any skill that boost stats if the unit is on an specific field ?
Like +2Atk and Def if it’s on Forest.
I would like to use one for each type of terrain.
Let me know if they exist and if it is possible to implement them using FEBuilder.
If they don’t exist yet , could someone please make them ?
Did it sounds too much complicated to program ?
Thanks for reading

2 Likes