[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 254 skills done, more on the way

Is there a list with all the skills in this system? Somewhere where i can sit down and read the skills and their effects?

All descriptions for skills currently in the skill system are here:

Thank you…follow up question if i may bother…is there a way to implement this into FE7? Or atleast a similar system?

Not without quite a lot of work.

The best place to start with something like that is learning ASM and making some calcloops in my opinion.

Well crapbaskets…since i don’t know the first thing about hacking these things, what the hell is ASM?

Assembly language. You can learn more about it by googling it or taking a look at this thread: GBAFE Assembly for Dummies, by Dummies

I have been playing the vanilla fe8 with skills patch linked and i think something is wrong. For example vanessa has savior but it flat out doesn’t work. Ive seen cavs and armor knights holding axes they cant use. Ive seen broken green and red units that dont have animation’s, all stats are caped at 0, and their overworld sprites are the same as a light rune. They seem to be Cavaliers because they have canto and outdoor fighter as skills and have swords in their inventory that they cant use because they have no weapon ranks. Did i mess something up with the patching process?

The patch is about 5 years old. It probably has a ton of old bugs. Basically of the work has been dedicated to the skill system buildfile since then I imagine.

That may be true but this seems like an easy fix. Just add axe animations to armor knights, give them axe rank, and make all the light rune enimies lance cavs.

You should be able to make a new version of the patch yourself pretty easily:

Download the repository and put a clean FE8U rom named FE8_clean.gba in the root folder. Open EngineHacks/Config.event in a text editor, comment out the line defining USE_TEST_MAP (right at the top), and uncomment the one that defines USE_LEGACY_SKILL_DEFAULTS (near the bottom of the “skill behavior configuration” section), then run MAKE_HACK_full.cmd. It should create a file SkillsTest.gba, which will be vanilla FE8 with skills using the same skill lists as the old patch
This should include all bugfixes & infrastructure improvements since the original patch, but won’t include any skills newer than the old patch (since its using the same skill learn lists). As long as USE_SAVE_EXPANSION isn’t enabled, you should also be able to use your same save file

Hi, does someone have the fe8 vanilla rom with the patch applied? I want to try the skill patch but im playing on a mobile device

@C2.0 I don’t believe we are allowed to share pre-patched roms on this site, but it is possible to patch on a mobile device. I would recommend downloading the app unipatcher.

Hey does anybody have the Icons for the skills from 8B [Breath of Life] to D9 [Aptitute]. the patch I got came with all of their icons turned to garbage
Edit: Ok turns out the entire Skill is Garbage Data. I’m gonna need the full Skills

I really love your product. But please teach me how to remove the skills I think are unnecessary, and I want to replace the skills I want in detail.

All skill icons can be found here:

Please see this post on how assigning skills to units and configuring available skills work:

Hello. Slightly confused as to how to install this. Could someone explain in slightly more detail about how to go about it? I can’t get it to work.
Thanks in advance.

Clone the github repository, put a clean FE8U ROM in the root folder (same folder as ROMBuildfile.event) and name it FE8_clean.gba, and double click MAKE_HACK_full.

If you’re using FEBuilder, there’s a patch you can install.

Thank you for the quick reply, I can’t use FEbuilder because I need a working gaiden spell system as well as skills. Can you reopen the patched rom in FEBuilder afterwards though?

Yes, you can.

Though the latest version FEBuilder’s skill system has gaiden magic included. To install it, make sure you have the latest version ot FEBuilder, then install the version of the skill system with the latest date on it.

After that, there should be a menu for gaiden magic yiu can use in the advanced editor or the patches menu (I don’t know which off the top of my head)

Gaiden spells use double the cost with the latest version on FEBuilder. It deals the HP cost after combat as well as in combat.