[FE8] Skill System v1.0 - 254 skills done, more on the way

That’s a FEBuilder issue, really.
The Skill System in it’s original form can be modified easily to add anything you want, but when installing with FEBuilder it becomes very tricky to change anything.

You will need to figure out where the battle calculations loop (or the proc skills loop) table has been inserted to, you would then repoint it so you can add an entry to it, which would be a pointer to your min damage 1 routine.

I’m really not sure why that change would be incompatible with the skill system though, the skill system calls the vanilla power calculation routine.

I think that SkillSystems can’t use at the same time because it hooks up the routine.
As you can see from the patch implementation, it is implemented by rewriting the following routines.
Perhaps one of these is hooked to the skill system first, so it doesn’t work properly.

COMBO=Default|OFF|Fix|ONN
DETERMINATION_ADDRESS=0x02B53E

ONN:0x2B53E=0x01
ONN:0x2B542=0x01
ONN:0x368CE=0x01
ONN:0x368D2=0x01
ONN:0x36964=0x01
ONN:0x36968=0x01
ONN:0x577DE=0x01
ONN:0x577E2=0x26
ONN:0x5781A=0x01
ONN:0x5781E=0x01

This patch is realized not by intervention in the damage formula but by intervention in the damage evaluation part.
Therefore, even if any one of these evaluation parts competes, it does not work correctly.

I assume the 1d12 and trace skills don’t work? I have never seen them do anything in my testing.

They were too buggy and not interesting enough for me to want to go back and fix them so they were removed. We should probably just remove them and the icons and all, unless someone else wants to take a stab at it.

allright good to know. I was just going to use it on joshua anyway as a character skill. guess i’ll give him lucky seven instead.

The Skill System has been updated to include as an option a very large engine hack…
A complete strength/magic split! :tada:
Based off of @Kirb’s FE8 str/mag split based off of @Tequila’s FE7 str/mag split with miscellaneous work by @RobertFPY , @Pikmin1211 , and myself.
Toggle use of this in “Engine Hacks/Config.event”
Included are 2 CSV tables that allow you to set character and class magic stats.
The Magic stat is stored in 0x3A of the character struct.

Features:
New Modular Stat Screen is installed by default with growth display functionality.
Display All Weapon Ranks is included.
Easy set-up of a fuly-functional “Spirit Dust” magic statbooster (with a reworked prep-screen item use page): define the item icon ID in “Strmag/_Master Asm Installer.event” and the item ID in “Strmag/Str Mag Split/Installer.event”.
Magic stat is used for spells in combat.
Reworked level up screen to incorporate Mag.
If you define ExpandedLevelUpScreen in “Strmag/Str Mag Split/Installer.event”, an expanded level up screen will be used. This screen, however, has minor yet noticeable graphical issues.
Rally Magic skill is implemented.
All of the various sources of magic debuffs are accounted for (including adding a Seal Magic skill).
An edit of Magic Sword Rework that uses Magic at range. Go to “Strmag/Str Mag Split/Magic Sword Rework/MagicSwordRework.event”

Screenshots

This has been extensively tested, but please report any bugs. Enjoy!

22 Likes

Is there a post where I can learn how to do all of this “.event” stuff?
I would love to try this.

If you’re referring to constructing a buildfile, it’s right here.
If you’re referring to eventing for a chapter, it’s right here.

4 Likes

Thanks to, Kirb, Tequilla, RobertFPY, and Pikmin1211. And thank you also, for working on this! I’ve been looking forward to this!

3 Likes

By the way, there’s a miscellaneous fixes pull request coming soon for Strength/Magic. I found some small issues like one in the prep screen usability for the statbooster, some magic sword stuff, etc

2 Likes

so i’ve gone into ephraim’s route and i found some “things” when i patched my gba file: what i found odd is that when i only just use the patch for the skills using ups, some units appear bugged, like some fighters with steel swords whose map sprites are light runes and some knights have axes but can’t weild them… there a couple more but if there’s something i’m not doing right or something i missed pls someone point at where or what i need to look at or do

Bug report incoming. The skill “Heavy Strikes” does not play along with other skills that modify critical hit chance. Here’s an example:
dozla1 dozla2

Here, Dozla should have 6 points from his Skl stat (12/2) + 15 from the Heavy Strikes skill + 15 from his zerker class = 36, but he only has 21.

maybe it’s intended ?

Maybe it is displayed only like cunning?

Why the hell would it be intended for the skill not to work as stated in the description?

Well, cunning at least partially does what it says (able to use locks and increased vision).

Is there also like a full list of all the available skills? If so where can I find it?

Not every skill listed is functional, but this is the closest thing to a comprehensive list.

1 Like

The link doesnt seem to work for me? It just gives me an “error 404” :confused:

1 Like

https://github.com/FireEmblemUniverse/SkillSystem_FE8/blob/master/Engine%20Hacks/SkillSystem/skill_definitions.event

should be the correct URL. Discourse or whatever is adding a “%25” uselessly and is breaking the link. Copy and paste it into your browser.

1 Like