[FE8] Sacred Echoes [v1.1] [COMPLETE]

The rom needs to be an American rom

when will the next patch or next version come

1 Like

There will be some form of public release to coincide with the FEE3 showing (early-mid September).

The next release will include the route split and at least some chapters of act 3 (at minimum, 4 chapters for each route). I’ll of course be trying to do more than that, but that’s what’s complete thus far and what I can give a definitive answer on at the moment.

14 Likes

works real well also a new name

Valentian Beginnings

Umm do you intend to finish this masterpiece?

patience, young padawan

6 Likes

Hey folks - I was hoping to have more of act 3 done first, but due to time constraints it wasn’t possible. Over half the chapters are done, and most features I wanted to implement are in, so to coincide with FEE3 I want to release a public beta containing the first 9 maps of Act 3 as well as improvements to Act 1 and 2’s balance.

Please note: due to a complete restructuring of the world map save data to make room for the Act 3+4 locations,
this patch is incompatible with prior save files!
However, this should be the only remaining save file overhaul the project will need, and the full Act 3 release will be compatible with the save file from this public beta.

Please check the included readme for credits specific to this release, and the included changelog for what’s new since the 2020-05-07 Act 2 patch.

(Also note: Jesse’s class, item distributions from chests, and enemy loadouts (among other things) are subject to change based on playtesting data.)

33 Likes

Don’t know if this is a bug or not, but when you sometimes end your turn, unmoved player units will automatically act on their own. This seemed to happen most often on the map when fighting Slayde, but I wouldn’t know if that has anything to do with it.

Ah, this might be an issue with how I did Invoke AI. I think I know what’s causing it so I’ll have a fix out by the end of the week.

I made a fix, please redownload (it’ll be version 20201006 now, same place as before)

Feedback time!

I’ve played all available Celica chapters and Alm chapters up until Desaix Castle (The one one where you save Mathilda).

All in all, it was quite fun, even if Gaiden baggage does hurt it a bit in some cases, that’s not your fault, and i generally liked the change to the Maps you brought in Celica route!

Generally, Celica route was really fun. Not only were the maps good, but the play flow was quite fast as well thanks to generally high ATK values and low def ones, and very fun to play with units and unit variety.

Sadly, can’t say same abour Alm route (again, mainly due to Gaiden Baggage). The ATK values are to low, and the def values (everyone, player and enemy alike) are too high, making it take quite a few rounds of combat for anyone to die. I can understant that you wanted to have the Gaiden/SoV feeling though, so it’s more of a complaint at Gaiden/SoV in general xD. The Forest maps before Desaix though i wasn’t really a fan of. Especially the Berkut one turned into an RNG fest. Maybe change that one a bit?

I also think Fire, Thunder and Nosferatu need a small +5 to +10 hit increase, since Magic hit rates outside of Seraphim and Excalibur seem shaky in general. Although again, a Gaiden/SoV thing haha.

Ah, btw, on Celica’s last available map, there were 3 Steel Lances in the 3 Chests. Was that intended?

Still, Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

I have finished the demo and I’m going to start play-testing the beta, so I’m gonna report what I encounter in the demo first.

1.- Thief Shrine is no longer available past mission 5. Is this intentionnal?
Fire Emblem - Sacred Echoes

2.- Checking the supports freezes the game. Only if you watch the details though.
Fire Emblem - Sacred Echoes (2)

3.- Celica’s Supply sometimes bugs out. I was very paranoic of sending things to convoy because I may lose them in the ether. Right here is an example of me leaving a Soma to then find out it turn into a pegasus cheese that then multiplied into infinity if I keep taking it.
Fire Emblem - Sacred Echoes (3)

Looking foward to the beta, it feels really nice to play so far. My only gripe is the lack of the OST of Echoes in most cases.

3 Likes

Okay, finished with the beta as well, here’s my feedback:

• The game is still really fun to play, my thrill could be biased since I’m such a sucker for Echoes mechanics that this just feel like pure bliss. People that complain about damage is the people that don’t make Kliff a mage in Alm’s route (sure he needs babysitting but so does Clair and BOTH can be game changers in that route… until you get Matilda, that is).
  • I think you can exploit the dungeon raids? I got to figure a pattern where a certain amount of resets would get you more Emtombed spawns since the maps seem to have a predetermined rotation. I don’t think that was the case for Duma Lance spawns, I felt those were purely random as it should.
  • In the topic of dungeons. Are the springs gonna have a limit at some point? I privy myself of abusing them once I found out they were limitless but I ask out of curiosity.
  • I found a glitch in the convos at the citadel. The Atlas convo would repeat itself once and both times it speaks of Hyas as if he was dead (when he is not).
    Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes
  • Another that may be just a placeholder was at the triangle attack portraits when initiating.
    Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes 4
  • Mage ring properly indicates the range when moving but not while attacking.
    Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes 2 Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes 3
  • Some balancing issues that felt weird to me. Atlas sucks ASS. I don know if it was intented but it felt wrong considering how much of a UNIT he is a dread fighter, I tried helping him giving some points in skill from the spring (2 that I wasted it all on him).
    Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes 16
    If his defence is gonna suck, at least give some HP to the poor man because the whole hitting like a truck Balbar does it too and tanks in the process, the movility and bows don’t exactly make him useful if he dies in 2 hits.
    Also, thieves suck too. Like, A LOT.
    Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes 6 Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes 25
    At least some absurd speed would be apreciated, thank you. If they ain’t gonna be doing any damage, at least let them be evasion tanks. I can’t see many instances where I would rather have a Thief in my party instead of letting my lord do the opening stuff for me even if it takes longer.
  • Fliers can’t fly over walls and such.
  • Witches don’t warp. I know it good like this but I wanna suffer.
  • Excalibur is still effective against fliers.
  • Deen doesn’t drop the Brave sword. I thought that he was recruitable because of this and that in the citadel map there was an extra character slot despite my whole army being out. Am I missing something?
  • I see that you brought back durability, not a fan tbh. I feel that steers away of the Echoes style too much since that FE is all about item management. I get it, you need to give us a reason to spent money since forging is not a posibility but I wish the was a workaround. Hence my next 2 points.
  • Are perhaps working on an extention to the magic system to provide the art system? If not (since I understand that it could be quite a hurdle), then how about dropping the OG weapons and have instead weapons that parallel the arts in a balanced way? It would give weapon durability and weapon mastery levels a legit reason to exist and players would get all the sweetness of the arts. Art scrolls, an alternative that use an inventory slot and either have durability or conditions like HP cost or a required weapon… that could also be a solution but I don’t see that being any easier, heck, it might be as dificult as creating the art system. Just a suggestion, though.
  • More pouch items? Let me explaing. How about having more UTILITY items? Like diferent grade of healing items (Ex: Vulnerary<Potion<Elixir), magic scrolls that mimic the barrier staff buffing a stat until it wears out or just for the chapter/skirmish. You know, more reasons to go to a store and spend some money. Then again, this is just an suggestion.
4 Likes
  • Another way to fix Atlas’ stats would be to raise the base stats/stat gains of his promotion(s), that way his bases/growths can stay accurate to the source.
  • Maybe Assassin as a T3 could help their combat without making Rogue gains too ridiculous.
  • Is it impossible to the game to take a certain item and money and trade it for a refined version? I know you can patch in a commands to take away item(s) and/or money, but does it take all instances of that item?
2 Likes
  • Another way to fix Atlas’ stats would be to raise the base stats/stat gains of his promotion(s), that way his bases/growths can stay accurate to the source. Blockquote

I thought of that too but out of a Berserker line perspective, only the HUGE HP was mainly missing since he apears to have kinda just enough speed to not be doubled by everything and Atlas gimmick is to one shot kill you either by his damage or a crit. I think Berserker suits Atlas since the alternative (Warrior) have decent defense and that would make his class clash with Balbar even more.

• Maybe Assassin as a T3 could help their combat without making Rogue gains too ridiculous. Blockquote

To be honest, I like your idea but I don’t know how many class slots does this romhack still have available to ask for more classes. But also, I think assasins could be a class that clashes with DF too much by being the inferior damage but more crit chance counterpart, that’s why I thought of a speed+luck focus to make them evasion tanks and have them at least as baits or counters to the faster enemy units that usually don’t have much defense, after all, a good weapon could make a huge difference in their performance.

2 Likes

Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes 20 Fire Emblem - The Sacred Echoes 16
Here is my Valbar and Atlas put together for comparison’s sake. You can see where Atlas goes wrong more aparently like this.

1 Like

Comparing units by personal experience is almost always wrong, but you can tell that Atlas has worse growths meanwhile Valbar is a prepromote.

And you could give Bows to Assassins to further differentiate them from DFs.

1 Like

Comparing units by personal experience is almost always wrong, but you can tell that Atlas has worse growths meanwhile Valbar is a prepromote.

Yes, that is totally obvious but not the point. You’re suppose to see the similarities between them and from that, see in which aspects Atlas is lacking. This is to aliviate redundancy in very class redundant route, so that one can properly give Atlas a place with the ROMhacker’s vision in mind.

That’s why my suggestion is give him unlordly HP, so that he can ve a meat shield in contrast to the iron wall that is Valbar. Both heavy hitters but not particulary double hitters. Having more tanking units in Celica’s route would be nice.

1. Is this still being worked on, I hope it is.
  2. Will you be including the overclasses? (Conqueror, Rigain, Skogul, etc.)

I’m not gamma, but yes, the hack is still being worked on, but he is currently taking a break from the project, so there won’t be anything soon. Also no, overclasses are not planned to be implemented in the hack.