[FE8] Nations of Conquest (up to ch 10x!)

new patch has been released!

2 Likes

ayo selk I stumbled here and decided to give it a try

spoilers

and whoa I’ve been waiting for a myrmidon lord baby (flashback to kelik)so ahem…yeah the story seems great and the fact that in his journal the last words he wrote were signed,jerrand. means that he either gave up or just doesn’t see himself as a prince.anyway is shyrn supposed to be a jaegen?cuz he can easily die to a merc(but considering the story I think I was to harsh on him,I died inside when jerrand started using axes.also the split in chapter 8 on who to side with I cant really decide I went with both and both are pretty good units but I think I can’t just pass on sero (sorry George).

2 Likes

shyrn is meant to be a jagen, not a seth.

1 Like

Yeah shyrn is supposed to be a jagen
And I’m glad you noticed the story detail! So far you’re the only one of 2 people who pointed it out so far lol : p

oh that’s pretty neat.also looking forward to new chapters. :smiley: also keep this hack alive!(no exaggeration lol).

1 Like

yep you make a pretty good point but jagens aren’t meant to die to a level 2 merc.are they?

1 Like

Well I’ve never seen him get close to dying by, well, any enemy unit that’s not on ch 5 tbf

oh ho ho ho let me tell you he(shyrn) died to a mercs 1 crit :cry: (although he can’t pretty much die but he did).

1 Like

FE11 Jagen intensifies

2 Likes

awesome

1 Like

oof, looking at this again and i should probably touch the page up a tad lol

like show off some new stuff from the hack, heheheh

1 Like

The debug (I don’t know what else to call it) map that allows you to skip to chapter six has an… eccentricity. The text leading into it basically says “Hey, go to the left village to skip to chapter six. If you don’t want to skip to chapter six, go to the left village, otherwise you’ll be completely lost!”

I managed to miss the second sentence entirely and went into the right village, which dropped me into chapter six. Needless to say, I was completely lost.

Hopefully, I can give a full review/feedback for the hack tomorrow, but that jumped out at me as a fairly pressing issue.

2 Likes

Ah shoot, I didnt realize I had a typo that bad!
Thank you for telling me, you’re supposed to go to the left one to go to ch 2, ehehe
Sorry aboutt all that, I’ll fix it when i update it with ch 9 (which should be this week)

2 Likes

All right, full post this time! I don’t have the slightest idea how this website works yet, so you won’t get any of the beautiful drop-down bullet points. As a result, I do not recommend reading the rest of this review if an aspiring player wishes to avoid spoilers. Skip to the last paragraph for the super brief summary if you feel comfortable doing so, but otherwise, just bail.

On that note, let’s get into the story, and general writing stuff. The first five chapters were a fairly standard yet solid tale of a young prince fighting off bandits, and then another country. That blandness made the sudden descent into insanity all the more effective. I was moderately surprised when the story took a dark turn, and a grumpy-looking myrmidon that I jokingly dubbed “The Black Swordmaster” invaded and conquered the protagonist’s kingdom. If I was surprised by that, you can guess how I reacted to the end event of that chapter. I was so floored that the only observation I could make on my notes is “Huh, that’s one way to make a Jagen fall off.” The shock value hit home beautifully. Aside from that, I don’t really have a whole lot to say about the plot. It was bland by design before that point, and hasn’t quite gotten a chance to get going again afterwards solely because of lack of time.

For technical stuff, the text formatting was good, and the punctuation/grammar/capitalization errors were few and far between.

The opening narration… well… it was nice and short, at least, but I kind of forgot the entire thing almost immediately.

There are two things I’d like to note, before I move along. Firstly, the king, Jerrand’s father, behaved a bit… oddly. He was opposed to his son going off to fight initially, and understandably so. However, when Jerrand returns, what I interpreted as less than three days later, the king is bizarrely eager to send him out to fight again. Based on our protagonist’s surprised reaction, I interpreted this as intentionally raising an eyebrow, but I’m honestly not sure, thanks to the time jump. It’s not bad by any means, just… odd.

In that same category is the other thing. I hesitate to even call this criticism, because it’s deep into the subjective territory, but the part one cleric was also strange. Again, take this with a grain of salt, but… wanting to join an invading nation just to accelerate their conquest is a strangely pessimistic motive to me. It’s not like her kingdom was already beaten, and the invaders were in the mop-up phase; no, they still had a solid defense left at that point. I was confused enough to suspect that she was a spy, or something along those lines. Having a healer was extraordinarily helpful for the upcoming maps, at least, which leads nicely into the next part of the essay that this post has somehow become…

Gameplay! Everybody’s favorite, right? Overall, I enjoyed the gameplay. There was never anything even close to one of those infamous SRPG “Oh my gosh how did this make it past playtesting” moments. The map design was solid, both in gameplay and in aesthetics. I don’t know if it was from the repo or 100% custom, but I particularly liked the tileset palette for Jerrand’s homeland and most of the first arc. Enemies are fairly weak, meaning that the hack more of an enemy phase-oriented experience; but on the other hand, the player’s 1-2 range access is restricted, meaning that you can’t just hoover up massive fields of enemies per turn. I’ve seen other people complain about such a situation, but I’m perfectly fine with it.

A potential issue, however, is the low percent enemy crits that occasionally rear their ugly head. The early part one mercs are the biggest offenders. Charon, for instance, faces 1% on the merc that he starts in range of, and gets dropped to worryingly low HP if it happens. Cheryl faces two against the same enemy, but her defense is easily good enough to shrug it off, meaning that her bad luck is a nonissue. Slim sword mercs are particularly scary, as their +5 crit means that even Jerrand faces a four percent chance to almost die instantly. I was fortunate to only eat one low% crit, and it was a slim on Cheryl (in other news, why is the GBA TINK sound so dang satusfying?), but RNG could potentially wreak havoc on the earlygame.

The art was impressively good. You can never go wrong with team salvaged animations, and the portraits were, almost without exception, outstanding. The prologue boss’s blinking frames were messed up a bit, but honestly… meh. It was more funny than anything else.

Did I miss anything? I hope I didn’t, because this thing is absurdly long as it is. I thought about putting my thoughts on Discord instead of here, but I’m honestly glad I didn’t; at this point, I’d be pushing the character limit. Overall, Nations of Conquest is a respectably good hack, not without flaws, but with the potential to grow into something legitimately great. And yes, nations were indeed conquered.

5 Likes

im really glad you enjoyed it! some of the issues you’ve mentioned i’ve already taken note of and fixed in the next update coming out soon, but i appreciate the feedback a lot!
all the tilesets are from the repo, but the maps in question are done by @Halbreadier in the first 5 chapters!
and yeah, the king is supposed to be eyebrow raising at the very least on purpose, mostly to set up a future idea i have in mind!
if it doesn’t work out i’ll probably edit the dialouge a bit, but it’s mostly for something planned in the future!
thank you again for your feedback!

4 Likes

realㅤ

2 Likes

a new update!
ch 9 is now finished and released, as well as bug fixes and typos!

5 Likes

nation of deez

4 Likes

this hack is so cool selk u r so talented <3

5 Likes

I finished the 9 chapters and I have to say, I like how the game feels so far. I won’t lie I didn’t read up to chapter nine at first and I was quite shocked when the game just ended lol. I hope to see this hack progress since it really is fun and interesting, The thing I enjoyed most about the hack I’d say is how squishy the lord is him dying in two hits to most enemies always kept me on edge. I also liked how he gained axes after the time skip giving him a boost in attack which he needed. My critiques so far are really simple stuff like no game over when the lord dies, or some other minor things that I’m sure will get patched when you guys finish. The strongest characters seem to be Boris and Mischka but they aren’t so strong they can solo any map I like it. Weakest character is Leo without a doubt, he is just outclassed in every way by madrik.

1 Like