Returning from war for the first time in almost a year, Princess Roseanne of Hasana would love nothing more than to never pick up a weapon again. Unfortunately, as the situation at home degrades, she finds herself thrust into a conflict orchestrated by actors willing to burn the continent to the ground to achieve their aims. Though the fires of war burn hotter by the day, she is driven by one overriding goal; bringing down justice on those who sought to tear her ties of friendship and family asunder.
Lords of the Seas is a hack of FE8 focused on naval combat and selling the idea of a large-scale conflict, primarily inspired by the Suikoden series. It’s broadly unconnected to my other hacks, War on Two Fronts and Heavens Fall. It’s the same universe, at an indeterminate but very long time into the future, where the events have mostly fallen into legend. The Beta 3 release encompasses the first 12 chapters.
- A Suikoden-inspired plot and setting, based on telling character conflicts on a grand scale
- Naval combat, with many maps featuring combat on both land and water, with playable boats
- Maps with multiple main and side objectives
- Tough enemies that necessitate the use of buffs, debuffs and siege weaponry
- Dismounting, fates-style knives, and minimal skill usage
Wait, Suikoden inspired?
2 and 5, mainly. Suikoden 2’s war battles were my gateway drug into the Fire Emblem series, and whilst replaying 5, I got to thinking that it would work in the Fire Emblem style. The idea of a home base, casts of highly unlikely heroes (you wouldn’t think that in a game of knights and wizards, a chef would be one of the strongest characters) and grand conflicts that actually feel grand. All it really means here is that if you’re familiar with the series, you may notice parallels.
Looks freaking awesome!! Btw how much content is in the Beta? I can’t find anything saying length.
The first 4 chapters. No idea how I forgot to include the length.
like your icon, fish memory, haha
suikoden II? So intersting :3
Yo! I’ll for sure give this a go! Looks very nice!
Edit: You forgot to credit me. Thats one of my portraits in the last screenshots.
The second release of Lords of the Seas is now available! This patch contains 5 additional chapters for a total of 9, as well as a number of balance changes, bugfixes and other changes. You can find the new patch in the OP.
Beta 2 Changes
- Now goes up to Chapter 9.
- Changed the clear condition for Chapter 4 to be to have Roseanne talk with the Thunderhead.
- Changed some dialog in Chapter 4’s end event for consistency.
- Adjusted the palette used for enemy Pegasus Knights.
- The Thunderhead now has a minimug.
- Characters who return later will now cause a Game Over on defeat.
- Changed the Sanctify staff’s description to clarify the boost it grants.
- Sea, lake and water tiles no longer grant an AVO bonus.
- Adjusted the movement cost of most classes to allow them to enter water tiles.
- Reduced Cytherea’s base Sword rank to D, base STR by 1 and STR growth by 5%.
- The Venture Blade now grants Acrobat without needing to be equipped, meaning other units can now use its passive effect. In addition, it cannot be repaired.
- Increased Gerard’s base DEX by 3.
- The Short Ballista now grants 2 WEXP per hit instead of 1.
- Increased the Thunderhead’s STR cap to 25 and DEX cap to 28.
- Adventurers now properly gain terrain bonuses.
- Fixed a bug that allowed you to infinitely duplicate Cytherea’s starting items.
- Fixed a bug that caused Jules to join without the Swordreaver.
Since FEE3 is just round the corner, I figured I’d put out a release early so that other people can play it and see if there’s any errors. It contains 3 new chapters, a large number of balance changes and bug fixes, and some improvements to music and QoL. You can download it from the OP. Note that save files from previous versions are almost certainly incompatible with this release, but this should not apply to releases in the future.
- Converted the ROM to use Alusq’s Starfall instrument set.
- Now goes up to Chapter 12.
- Changed Roseanne’s map sprite to reduce confusion.
- Altered the description of the Venture Blade to clarify its effect.
- Adjusted dialog in Chapter 1 to explain rewinding.
- Made adjustments to Chapter 1’s map.
- Abram now appears in a different class in Chapter 4.
- Quirina now appears in a different class in Chapter 4 and Chapter 9.
- Added tutorial text explaining the Freeze status in Chapter 5.
- Added dialog warning of the infinite reinforcements in Chapter 5.
- David now starts off dismounted in Chapter 6.
- Changed Aiza’s default starting position in Chapter 6 to be on the south side of the map.
- Added dialog to Chapter 6 to clarify the ability to move to the other side of the bridge.
- Moved the Chapter 6 starting positions forward, and adjusted the positions of certain enemies.
- Replaced the Nosferatu in the Chapter 6 chest with a new item.
- Added a breakable wall and more reinforcements to Chapter 8.
- Moved the droppable Steel Ballista in Chapter 9.
- You can now steal with a full inventory.
- Enemies now have fixed stats instead of rolling.
- David now joins with +20 base Lance EXP, a new personal sword, and his STR growth is increased by 10%.
- Increased Jules’s base LCK by 2.
- William now gains Anima instead of Lances on promotion, and has altered promo gains.
- Phaedrus now joins with the Critical Force skill.
- Increased Lucette’s SPD by 1, and SKL and SPD growths by 5%.
- Reduced the weight of the Shipbreaker from 15 to 12.
- Reduced the weight of the Killer Bow from 8 to 7.
- Increased the Thunderhead’s SPD growth from 25% to 40%.
- Changed the Female Aid calc to be identical to the Male.
- All ballistae and cannons now grant the Savior skill when equipped.
- Increased the Move of dismounted promoted classes from 5 to 6.
- Falcoknights now gain an additonal +2 RES on promotion.
- Increased the base Crit of all Killer weapons to 30.
- Nosferatu has been renamed to Resire, been changed to a B rank offensive staff, and has had its location moved.
- Fixed an error with David’s Cavalier palette.
- The Hurricane Axe now correctly allows enemies to double while holding it.
- Renamed the Sunrise Katana to the Sun Katana to prevent visual glitches on the battle screen.
- The Freeze status now properly displays on MMB.
- Fixed an error with the Chapter 5 boss’s dialog.
- The Thunderhead can no longer be deployed in Chapter 9.
- The Chapter 9 preparations shop now sells the correct inventory.
- Fixed the promotion screen playing the wrong audio.
- Removed all bugged supports.
The next release, containing an additional chapter, should be available in time for FEE3 in a few weeks time.
The FEE3 demo has been released, and can be downloaded from the OP. It now contains a total of 13 chapters, as well as a litany of balance tweaks and bug fixes to hopefully create a more stable experience.
- Now goes up to Chapter 13.
- The frigate at the start of Chapter 1 has been moved 1 tile further away.
- Replaced the Short Bow in Chapter 2 with a Mini Bow.
- The Chapter 2 shop now sells Hatchets and Short Bows.
- You can now trade an unlimited number of times per turn.
- Edited the colours of David and Aiza’s portraits.
- Changed the description of the Brave Dagger to clarify its effects.
- Made some edits to the songs “Battle (Chrono Trigger)” and “Egyptian Duel (Yu-Gi-Oh - Forbidden Memories)”.
- Replaced the Pegasus Knights in Chapter 10 with Soldiers, and moved the reinforcements 1 turn back.
- Increased Pavo’s base STR from 5 to 7.
- Increased Mikelo’s base SKL from 7 to 9.
- Reduced the number of maximum uses of the Vyndalvas to 20, but doubled its WEXP gain.
- Increased the hit of Flux from 80 to 85.
- Fixed the Steal with Full Inventory patch deleting the stolen item.
- Fixed an issue with the dismounted Falcoknight’s stat caps.
- Fixed an issue with the Miracle Charm’s uses.
- The boss of Chapter 4 now uses the correct palette.
- Fixed Millie’s death not causing a Game Over in Chapter 10.
- Fixed a number of issues with the Dynamite Edge and renamed it to the Nitro Edge.
Here we go with my question for every hack. Will it have functional supports and/or PE?
Supports are intended to be acquired at fixed times between specific units, a la Tear Ring Saga. As for paired endings, probably. I have no real plan at this stage, but there will be at least some.
Edit: My brain thought this was the FEE3 thread. Whoops.
I’ve been playing this and really enjoying it so far! as a guy familiar with GBA FE but new to roms, this is sating a long held itch of mine for more boat/navy mechanics in these games. I love the design of most of the levels (ch4’s music was very choice and incredibly exciting) and am appreciating the unique playstyle of Roseanne + her personality. I’m only on ch8 now but I’m already really intrigued to see whatever direction you take the game’s design on future updates.
Finished the fee3 demo a few minutes ago and what a blast it was. I’ve enjoyed your other hacks and so far this is my favorite yet. Right off the bat we are given control of the Thunderhead and experience naval combat. I appreciate jumping into the action right away. The second map introduces us to dismounting which I was worried at first about indoor maps not flowing as well but it played great, along with the other indoor maps in the game. Several having indoor and outdoor portions simultaneously. With water walking and naval combat playing such a big role the maps really open up to unique tiling that really takes advantage of the core mechanics here. Units generally all felt good with some outliers( amazingly I didn’t like either cav where usually I would deploy as many as possible). Some other thoughts I have are the anima tome progression feeling a bit rough and well misprint helps but ravager just lacks that nice consistency of clean one rounds. Cytherea is a neat unit with the Venture blade being a really prized item on basically every unit for acrobat. I would be interested in her having acrobat at base and making the venture blade a holdable to give her a little leg up. ( I don’t think this really impacts antons uniqueness because they have different weapon types and stat spreads) but that is a big change I imagine. Regardless super fun and I can’t wait for more! Almost forgot, the OST is fantastic, music I haven’t heard anywhere else and it really captures how I imagine a swashbuckling adventure like this to be.