[FE8] Host of the Dark 0.7 (70% done 14 chapters, in progress)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f0e3af9c910> #<Tag:0x00007f0e3af9c730> #<Tag:0x00007f0e3af9c500>

Greetings! I have been working on this project for the better part of this year and I’m excited to unveil it in a working state!

Story

The story of This hack, unlike other hacks, is highly focused on the game’s characters and the small locations the characters go to. The story begins with Solum and Jordan, two students of the mercenary academy sparring for fun, after a swift victory from Solum the two arrive at the classroom of professor Tobias, after a field test Tobias suddenly attacks Solum forcing him and his friends to go on the run. The story only builds from there however, you’ll have to play to experience it.

Characters

Since this hack is highly focused on the characters of the story, it’s only natural that a character spotlight would be present alongside the story summary

Solum- The lord of the game, ta friend to all who have met him, now being hunted

Jordan- Solum’s best friend, quick to trust his friends, ready to fight with the honor and pride of a knight

Fidem- The aloof myrmidon, distant and relaxed, yet still a friendly and honest soul.

Sagiita- The serious hunter of the group, aims to become a mercenary to live an exhilarating, adventurous life.

Max- The most loyal and friendly of the group, wants to become a great tactician one day

Corydon- An odd and enigmatic fellow who is ‘hired’ by Solum for some much-needed protection, speaks in an odd way.

Sal- the brother of Cory, quiet, distant, and quite blunt with words

Anna- Think you can find Anna? the red-haired shopkeeper that seems to show up everywhere is hiding somewhere within this hack, if you find her you may be able to recruit her!

play the hack to discover more unique characters!

Credits

Oh boy, this will be a long one, I’m sure I got most, if not all of the assets I’ve used written down but if I miss any please let me know as soon as possible so that I may provide proper credit, to see who made which specific asset simply press R and hover over the class or portrait to see who made what asset. the assets without any credit given are assets in the base game of any of the three games, such as generic boss portraits or nomad animations from FE6

portraits:
Capibarainspace
Levin64
Damo
Its_Just_Jay
XVI
SeaLion
MeatOfJustice
Alusq
Tobiki
Lenh
AmBrosiac
L95
Flasuban
RandomWizard
Smug_Mug
Sphealnuke
Melia
LaurentLaicrox
cravat

Classes:
Alusq
jj09
TBA
mercenary lord
nycgamer
team SALVAGED
miguel-rojo
Leo_Link
Spud
MeatOfJustice
Retrogamer
Circleseverywhere
Kao
Marlon0024
L95
Derthevaporeon

misc:
Status screen: Kirb
main theme: Re Zero ‘realize’

playtesters:
splinterocke
LeonNote
knabepicer
Areynor
Markex133

Screenshots

FE8HostofdarkTruest.emulator
screenshot6
screenshot5
screenshot4
Screenshot3
screenshot2
screenshot1

Supports progress

I only have one support done at the moment and that’s the Solum and Jordan C support, I’ll get more done once the game is around 80-90% complete

known issues

during chapter 6x the cursor starts off-screen, press L to move it to a character on the map, do not move it beforehand, it will crash the game.

After chapter 14 the game will tell you that you’ve reached the end of the demo, however, since I don’t know how to boot you back to the title screen the game will not stop you from moving onto a standard fe8 map

if you somehow give Near speed to double his animation will freeze when attacking twice

patch notes

-added two new chapters
-boosted Near’s magic growth
-replaced some ui elements with FE6 ui
-minor growth changes
-+10 hit to all 1 range axes
-pirates have a new battle animation
-edits to various shops
-fixed a solftlock in chapter 3
-slight dialogue tweaks

patch download

I am excited to hear feedback and constructive criticism, please enjoy the hack!

13 Likes

Gave the game a quick run. Prologue-6x were pretty whatever, very weak enemies and not really much in the way of interesting objectives to pursue. Chapter 7 was actually pretty cool, I liked having to get the keys from each promoted enemy and then bringing them to the doors to open the path to the throne.

But then after chapter 7, everything went downhill. You’re stuck with one frail unit for two maps with extremely limited healing, and then after that is a really boring survive map. I wish I could’ve just continued with the party I had back in chapter 7, and have more maps of that quality.

I see thank you for your feedback

spoilers (in case any person decides to skim through the comments before playing)

part two was meant to hit you out of nowhere and kind of force you to be careful with your frail lord, if you missed the two chests in chapter 8 then you won’t have the modified shamshir that raises avoid and the angelic robe, the defend map is something that I do think I’ll overhaul for the next patch
I do think that I need to bump up enemy strength for part 1, part 1 only gives you two promotion items (not counting the lord’s two) and on repeat playthroughs you may even send the master seal to the convoy to give one of your units in part 2 an early promo, much like how the wyrmslayer was meant to be in the convoy for the part 2 draco-zombie.
The lord of part 2 should get a boost to hp and a little to defense though.

again, thank you for the feedback, it is truly appreciated

You should just have the wyrmslayer be guaranteed in part 2. I never even got it because the boss who was supposed to drop it used it to attack me on enemy phase and he dropped a different weapon. Also maps where you only have one unit are not very fun (in the fog map, I could not recruit the nomad and thief, so I only had the frail lord). Especially in chapter 8, it was extremely tedious to walk around the map and grab the chests after talking to the boss and pacifying the enemies.

yeah the wyrmslayer thing while not necessary would’ve made things easier, I may want to have the nomad and thief recruitable that chapter to make things easier. Chapter 8 could use some ironing out, while I do think a solo chapter is necessary for the story (maybe have Tobias tag along then leave) story shouldn’t sacrifice gameplay so I will fix that up, thank you for the feedback, it was really helpful.

0.6 has been unveiled! Two new chapters, bug fixes, complete chapter 8 overhaul!
I have also submitted Host of the Dark to FEE3 so be on the lookout.

3 Likes

Host of the dark has been updated! 0.7 release raises the chapter number up by two and brings us ever closer to the climax of this story! Still feels like I’m just starting the hack if I’m being honest, progress has slowed down recently but I’m slowly chipping away at it no matter how slowly!

3 Likes