[FE8 Hack] (Full Length Hack) The Burdened Crown (v2.2.0 is available now!)

I feel this is a fair point, and keep in mind I haven’t played Berwick while reading this post.
In relation to GBA, yes, this hack has pretty proportionate growths. The issue is that I honestly feel this is part of the GBA series’ failings, along with the lack of properly scaling enemies (save FE6, where your units are kind of still in kagaland) meaning there’s no actual difficulty curve, it just fluctuates randomly, sometimes chapters are super difficult, sometimes you just kinda hit “end turn.”
When you have higher, more reliable growths, and the enemies scale along with them, it can make a much more consistent difficulty. You can also offer high as hell promotion gains, which can admittedly be easier to balance around since they’re a set bonus and you KNOW the player will get them (though, you won’t be able to tell if the player will have X promoted unit in X chapter, another problem entirely.)
Of course, there are merits to deflation, FE5 handles it quite well. It is my personal opinion however that the consistency offered by a healthy inflation (rather than say, just giving the ENEMY a heap of stats) makes for a great game.

Another very small point, but on the dagger.

Has 1 might.
Effective damage against armors.
Armors use lances, and the dagger is a sword.
WTD in this hack gives -2 to damage.
This means, in effect, might against an armor is still 1.

1 Like

I agree with Zaim that sotf is a different beast and not a fair comparison.

You can make the argument that Stanley outclasses other units because his growths are at par if not better than your lower level units, incentivizing the player to invest in him more than the others who will likely never surpass him, but that doesn’t make low growths bad themselves.

It all depends on enemy quality and composition to determine which units will be best suited to deal with them. The growths you highlighted are at par with vanilla GBA, but would be low by 3DS standards. To your point about higher growths, it depends on the context of the game and how the creator wants to do scale. There are pros and cons to each method and it depends ultimately on how they’re executed.

2 Likes

I disagree that difficulty spikes in FE are attributed to enemy scaling outside of early game FE6, although I think the scaling there is the result of a glitch or bug instead of an intentional design choice. I would say maps like Cog of Destiny, Father and Son or Phantom Ship are largely made more difficult than previous maps due to map design and enemy composition/equipment.

Well surprise surprise, this hack got an update before FEE3. Nothing major, although I just needed to brush up some things in terms of balancing. Here’s the Zelda if anyone cares and, as always, the update will be added to the OP.

4 Likes

Hey, so I downloaded the patch but for some reason every time I go to the sixth chapter, I just get a black screen. Is there a way to fix this without losing my progress so far?

1 Like

Could you send me a save? Of all the times I played that chapter I never saw a crash.

Sent.

1 Like

Apparently I messed up a an event in 1-6 where the game could hang because of a poorly constructed conditional so here is an update <-(it’s over there) that should fix the issue.

Cheers!

1 Like

Oh thanks man! I love your hack so far too.

2 Likes

In preparation of FEE3, sort of, I made a bit of a minor update that mostly added dialogue for supports, albeit they are placeholder. Here’s the link if you are interested, and enjoy!

EDIT: I added the new link to the OP

1 Like

So I got an update in right before the new years, so cheers to me. Main takeaways from this update include 6 more support chains (all for Gerald) and minor palette things. Here’s the link if you’d like to play.

On a side note, I still have like 49 support conversations to go, so yay for me.

3 Likes

I got a member in Chapter 1-3 I think. Do you know where the secret shops are?

There are in 1-5, 2J-2, 2K-3, and 3-3.
I hope you enjoy your time with my hack!

1 Like

actually this hack isn’t bad … but only gameplay wise like soul of the forest.
the plot is pretty boring like a fire emblem (wait wtf) some kind of (spoiler warning, read the words inversely if u recruited the sniper already) [ruoy ylimaf deid dna uoy kees egnever , neht nreve sretpahc era ekil a egeis retpahc htiw a hcnub fo seimene ]
and I hope ur next hack will have supports convers… and more differently chapters… it just felt like you spent a lot of effort in balancing the chapters (yeah I think the hack’s gameplay is balanced pretty, tho players might miss some seals) but it doesn’t make us feel fun or interesting…
and at later game it’s mainly swarming and spamming atks without much creativity

1 Like

I have been working on support conversations, but progress has been very slow due to a backlog of other things I want/need to do and IRL shenanigans.
The plot was actually meant to be similar to a Fire Emblem game because it was easier for me to make a outline based on things that happen.
And with how I planned out lategame I really don’t have much to think about in terms of a solution, but ideas are floating in my head.
Thank you for the feedback anyhow!

My review of The Burdened Crown is done; you can find it here.

Also, check out my other reviews here.

3 Likes

Thank you for the review! I’ll make sure to use this for future updates.

Well if it is a shock to me and possibly you, I still work on this thing. This time, our good Stonewall Stanley finally got full on supports, amidst the other minor polishing I have going on. Here’s the Revali, and, as always, the link will be added to the OP.

1 Like

How i can play on the game in my Boy, i dont know how