FE8 Green Patch has STR/MAG split

I just found out FE8 girls added more trainee triple promotion classes. No idea how they did it, maybe someone can debug it?

I’ve been slowly working on piecing together the trainee promotion related stuff recently (slowly, since school’s started and since finding non-hardcoded things in asm is hard…). I’ll probably have to rewrite the entire weird ldmia part if I want more than six trainee classes though.
I’ll probably post a topic on FE8 autopromotion once I figure it out a bit more.

2 Likes

Sweet, I’ll make good use of it if you do, particularly for paladins.

sometimes i wonder if you’re the only other FE8 hacker around here

No, there’s Venno and Alfred too. I’m just the only one who wants to do a bunch of new untested things since I’m spunky and interesting and this is how I make up for having no social life.

I’d actually look at hacking FE8 if it wasn’t so poorly documented. Last time I checked there weren’t even perma event IDs and recruitment conversations had to be done as battle conversations (@AlfredKamon, please comment?). In addition to that, there’s all the skirmish nonsense and the world map stuff that needs to be looked into. The engine has a shitload of potential, it just needs to be nuked to a point where basically nothing from the original remains.

@Klokinator, can you just check the Green Patch and see if the skills have R-button descriptions? Not that it makes much difference but just to satisfy my curiousity. Also what did you mean, support levels don’t have bars? … Don’t they normally not have bars?

1 Like

i remember spending three hours on the trainee thing and getting nowhere

shit’s hard

1 Like

They do not. Can’t scroll onto them.

A side separator… so the support names/levels don’t mash into the wlvls…

To be fair, I can hack all of those things now. XD
Well, world map needs a bit of work, but Venno found out the codes for that a while ago.
I made a doc about perma event IDs in FE8, and skirmishes are easy stuff that I’ve also documented in some posts in my topic back on SF.

At the moment, yeah. I’m a bit busy irl as of late, so I won’t be back for a while. Your effort in the research is appreciated anyway. Should you need any knowledge of mine, don’t hesitate to ask.

Have you been able to decompile the full data from the tower/ruins yet? I don’t even have NMM’s for anything past Tower 4 or Ruins 3, let alone the event data for any part of the tower/ruins.

Hmmm, I’m pretty sure the Tower chapters are just normal chapters that need an extra code in order to work. Said code can be found by disassembling the first floor. You can then alter the events however much you want as long as you maintain that code in. I’ve already fully customised two tower chapters this way.

I don’t really understand what you mean. Can you be more specific?

disassembling some of the later floors doesn’t work because EA just doesn’t know how to deal with the data iirc

(CC @Venno?)

Couldn’t we make it just export the unknown data as raw hex? Or does it literally understand nothing?

Some of the later floors use randomized chests as a LOCA event which pointed to a list of items and probabilities rather than event data, which EA doesn’t like. I made a fix for it which lets you disassemble those chapters.

Re-assembling them is a bit different, because the Valni/Lagdou chapters use three codes which aren’t used in any of the normal chapters and aren’t in EA’s raw definitions - _0x2B21, 0x2B22 (some weird stuff) and _0x192A (a check for postgame status). You have to add those commands to the raw definitions in order to re-assemble those chapters.

And I’d be willing to help you with any problems you have with FE8 @Agro, time permitting.

What ought to be done is push out an update for EA that adds meaningful names for the FE8 event commands so the user doesn’t have to memorize four-digit hex strings.

1 Like

Could you do such a thing? I’d certainly appreciate it.